replacing LSD, what else should I do while the tranny is out and open?!

Zack

:
1996 Pontiac Trans Am--2003.5 MSP
So I believe Ive fallen victim to a blown LSD. While its open, what should I take care of as preventive care. Is there like a tranny rebuilt kit that has all that is needed for a rebuild?Car has 116k miles on it. I'd like to get it all ordered in here by next weekend when my buddy plans to tackle it.

oh yea, clutch is brand new so no need to mention that

thanks!

I would just clean the gears real good and get all the trash from the blown lsd out of them. Then I would do new bearings and races for the LSD and new axle seals.

^^

What he said for sure.

Other things to check for:

*Hows you clutch? If it's worn replace or upgrade, whatever you want.
*If you wanna put in a lightened flywheel, now is a good time.
*I replaced my throw out bearing, even if it's still useable, just replace it, they're inexpensive and you'll be pissed if you have to drop the tranny again for that little thing.
*Check the gears,my revers was all grinded up
*I dont know about a rebuild kit but PG sells a kit with stronger gears. It comes with 1st, 2nd, (no 3rd), 4th, and 5th
*Check all you syncros. I went through all of them and a few were worn out.
*Oh and be carefull with the oil pick up, it made of plastic and breaks real easy.

I had to drop my tranny twice so my whole thing was "If its worn, I'll replace". This way you have a better chance of not having to drop you tranny again for a long time.

(It sucked my second time cuz i had class the next day so i pulled an all nighter just to be there. Of course, i stroll in a little late and my teacher lectures me about being punctual.)

EDIT: Missed the part about the clutch, sorry about that, and you probably already know this but get you get your lsd welded. Good luck!

Last edited:
Get a mfactory diff and do not get it welded(the broken stocker that is)! Welded broken ones don't tend to hold up as well as a new welded one or even a mfactory. When i had my diff replaced, you will need new cariage(diff) bearings and races, get new axel seals(after all your already their), and replace the rear main seal while your at it. Like others have said If your looking at going with a upgraded clutch and flywheel. Now would be the time. I know you stated your clutch is new but depending on how new it is I would still replace the throwout bearing.

Last edited:
well I ordered the mfactory and install kit from sam and the install kit has new axle seals and such. The clutch has 0 miles on it lol. We replaced that thinking it was the issue because tons of people suggested it(non msp people), but turns out it wasn't the culprit. The LSD always seems to get the blame for any tranny issue on here (just like the optispark distributor is the culprit for any ignition issue in the fbody world haha) so I wanted unbiased POV

When my diff went I was able to still drive my car home and get it upto speed! The catch for me was I had to take off at a snails pace and where I needed to go was flat ground so that worked in my favor.

I was just coming off a stop as usual then i felt a pop or snap and the car just revved while making a loud ticking sound as I moved forward. I was able to get up to speed but very slow, not matching the rpms of the car. I finally ran out of momentum and the car wouldnt move forward at all. Im able to leave it in gear and the revs jump up and the car feels like it wants to move but doesnt. I lift the car and the wheels turn at the speed of the rpms though, but the speedometer doesn't move

Back