Replacement for fog lamps

Tsuru

:
2006 Mazda5 GS 5MT
So I'm out cleaning the windows and replacing the wipers on my 5 GS today and I get to thinking "Those fog light housings sure aren't very aerodynamic are they?"

It begs the question: Is there a drop in part that will fill that cavity so that it's smooth(er) than the divot for the fog light assembly? I'm assuming I can't just remove that part since the horn and other stuff is back there that wouldn't appreciate snow and ice being thrown at it.

Any suggestions on where to start are appreciated.

I was thinking of replacing the whole assembly with something more aerodynamic. If you look at your avatar, I'm referring to the whole black part that houses the fog lamp.

I get to thinking ...

See that right there is where I get into trouble... (huh) the wife has a special radar for that type of 'thinking' :)

"Those fog light housings sure aren't very aerodynamic are they?"

Nope, but wind tunnel would have picked up and they could have done something about it in development stage IF it we're a true issue, I think you're fine.

Is there a drop in part that will fill that cavity so that it's smooth(er) than the divot for the fog light assembly?

Nope.

I'm assuming I can't just remove that part since the horn and other stuff is back there that wouldn't appreciate snow and ice being thrown at it.

THAT + it looks bad / dumb, I took mine off when I installed my FOG LIGHTS and boy it looked bad, NOW check my pictures out...

PICTURES

when I did my front grill mod, well you could do the same thing BUT for the fog light area, BUT use solid plate. It's NOT easy, so make sure you rehearse well before you start cutting.

Put some fog lights on it

I agree, put some fog lights on, like I did then try that mesh or solid plate mod.

I was thinking of replacing the whole assembly with something more aerodynamic.

IF you do, please post a HOW TO with picks.(headbang)

Good luck!
Peace!(rei)

Do you have an 06-07 or 08-10? If 06-07 then maybe... they definitely did something to squeeze in an extra 4 MPG.

Yeah, I have an '06. I've got a project in my mind that I probably won't get to until spring. Plenty of time to iron out all the bugs. I'll update this thread as my mind percolates.

Back