Mazda5 SUV interior dome lamp replacement?

Hi,

I would like to replace old lamps in the interior lightning to LED. Watched several videos on youtube. There are many BUT for Mazda5 SUV model, it's a different one then shown. It's not with the clips system and is not by opening the light covers that you get access to the lamps. The map lights there has integrated glasses compartment and replacement on such map lights, I can not find. Nor manuals on the internet for that.

First I just tried to pull it with some plastic tool. But it wouldn't move a bit. Only together with the roof. But afterwards I found two screws in the glasses compartment. When I unscrew them that half start to come out. But the other side still holding strong.
I'm afraid to break it if I pull any harder. I think there is something else holding the map lights. But where?

I read that many of you have already done it. Could somebody explain how to remove the map lights?

Thanks everybody upfront for advice.

1612734436300.png

Solution
Ok, I found the video were the same type of map lights housing. There two screws in the glasses compartment. And two clips left and right at lamp/switch aria. You need to push that clip in to pull the housing. The rest is rather simple and compatible with other mazda's.
I replaced all of the bulbs in my 2012 MZ5 with LED's. The lenses simply pop down with your fingers. Look up the procedure for a Mazda3. It's exactly the same housings.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi guys,

I'm sure a lot of you have the same type of Mazda as I have. Please tell me how to open the map lights compartment? If I unscrew these two screws this part start to come out. But the part close to the buttons remains tight. I'm afraid to pull any harder to break it off.
I can also open these light covers. But then I have to pull out some how the deflectors too. Otherwise I can't take the bulb out.
I guess this whole thing should come out some how. Like I saw on the other models.
IMG_20210213_174539.jpg

Upvote 0
Hi guys,

I'm sure a lot of you have the same type of Mazda as I have. Please tell me how to open the map lights compartment? If I unscrew these two screws this part start to come out. But the part close to the buttons remains tight. I'm afraid to pull any harder to break it off.
I can also open these light covers. But then I have to pull out some how the deflectors too. Otherwise I can't take the bulb out.
I guess this whole thing should come out some how. Like I saw on the other models.
View attachment 295315
Stick you fingers between the headliner and the rear of the housing, then pull down.

Upvote 0
Ok, I found the video were the same type of map lights housing. There two screws in the glasses compartment. And two clips left and right at lamp/switch aria. You need to push that clip in to pull the housing. The rest is rather simple and compatible with other mazda's.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Solution
Off topic: Is Mazda 5 considered a SUV in your country? I am from the US, the mazda 5 on the US websites are often categorized as minivans or wagons, I have seen hatchback a couple of times but never seen SUV before. Just curious.
I think I would agree that Mazda 5 is not a SUV because it has low ground clearance and floor. It is also not meant to be driven off road. It's not a hatchback because it has a D piller (hatchbacks only has A/B/C pillers).

I also like your has the sunglasses holder next to the map lights. That is a feature I really want but I haven't seen in either gen1 or gen2 of mazda 5 sold in the US. Or maybe my trim (sport) is just not high enough.

Upvote 0
In the US, Minivans and station wagons and cross-overs have an interesting evolution.

"Vans" were big vehicles that building contractors used to haul around tools/supplies with not much in the way of amenities (e.g. Ford Econoline).

Mini-vans were smaller than vans but bigger than station wagons but as comfy as a car and held a ton of stuff for a family. You could sit up high like a van/truck but it drove more like a car.

Then SUVs came. Sit up high. Early ones rode like trucks.

Then Mini-vans got huge. Definitely no longer "mini".

Then SUVs got huge and were built more like cars so they rode like cars.

Somewhere in there station wagons went nearly extinct.

Then crossovers ("SUV-Lite") came to fill the missing link that station wagons held since SUVs and Minivans were now so big.

And then there is the Mazda5 micro van which is not an SUV but really is the size of a station wagon, rides like a wagon. You sit down low unlike a mini-van and if you took away the sliding door it would pretty much be a station wagon.

Also, states classify them as station wagons (I know NC does) and not mini-vans. So depending on your viewpoint, it's a van or a station wagon with sliding rear doors.

Upvote 0
Back