Refinishing 17" Mazda6 wheels to put on my P5

evrynite

:
Protege5
17" Mazda6 wheels --------> on my Protege5

Figured I'd post some pics of the refinishing job that I am in the process of completing. So I just wanted to explain how I refinished these wheels for any noobs out there who may have wanted to do the same. With a little bit of elbow grease and patience, you can turn your tired looking wheels into "new" again. Basically I wanted a stock looking mod; 17" stock wheels from a Mazda6 look much nicer on a P5 in my opinion.

So I found this dude on Craigslist selling a set Mazda6 wheels with tires for $150. Tires were a bit worn, but I gave him what he was asking. The wheels themselves were a bit worn looking, with some curb rash, fading paint, and chips. (the tires ended up being useless because the stock sized tire used on the Mazda6 are too large on the P5.)

I used Rustoleum "High" performance silver spray paint, and Duplicolor's High Perfomance Clear for wheels. I thoroughly cleaned the wheels with AJAX cleaner, and wet-sanded the surfaces with 200 grit to 400 grit sandpaper. Gave it a good towel and air dry before spraying. Bought masking paper and tape to cover the tire portion. Then sprayed on about 2-3 coats of the silver paint, allowing 5-10 minutes between coats, allowed the silver to dry 30-45 and finally spraying minutes and 2-3 coats of the gloss clear on top. I Let them bake in the sun for a few days, and then came back to hit them with some rubbing compound with my high speed polisher to bring out the gloss.

I think the results came out fairly decent. In the next few weeks I will be buying Nankang 205/40/17 finish the job. Once the tires are mounted and the wheels are finally installed I will post again.(nana)

2urp0fk.jpg

1zoylwp.jpg

2csi8b5.jpg

2csi8b5.jpg

2rxiekk.jpg

f103zb.jpg

Last edited:
ok everyone, so here it is. The Nankangs are a pretty good tire for the money. Got them locally for $300 installed. Nice smooth, confident ride doing 90mph on the highway in 80 degree dry weather, corners like buttahh... Curious to see how well they hold up on the hot roads and rain. All in all I'm digging this stock mod. Next mod is going to be wheel spacers and then lowering springs.

k36rl5.jpg

2w3c8br.jpg

nzq4ad.jpg

Last edited:
ok everyone, so here it is. The Nankangs are a pretty good tire for the money. Got them locally for $300 installed. Nice smooth, confident ride doing 90mph on the highway in 80 degree dry weather, corners like buttahh... Curious to see how well they hold up on the hot roads and rain. All in all I'm digging this stock mod. Next mod is going to be wheel spacers and then lowering springs.

Looking good dude! My aftermarket wheels are finally biting it. Won't balance due to a bend on a wheel that already has a massive weld on it. I had actually found a set of 6 wheels about like yours on CList about a year ago. Grabbed them late one night for... $60. Best deal I've ever found. I'm going with Tiger Paws on mine later today and I'm pretty stoked. A nice wheel choice that looks stock.

I agree...for a stock wheel, they look pretty sharp. Some of the ones that I see on other makes of cars, make me cringe.

$60 bucks is a good deal...whats wrong with them?! The ones I picked up, thought scratched and chipped, are pretty much straight. I was keeping my fingers crossed that they were. When I installed the new tires and took the car out on the highway, there was nooooo vibration or shaking (drive2)

Scratched/chipped about like yours. Three went on pretty well. Two wheels didn't require any weight to balance, and all the old ones were pulled off, of course. One needed 15 grams and then the last one wouldn't hold air and it was bent. So much better on the highway.

Thumbs up to the OP! Great job...and they turned out great! Always have liked the 5-spoke Mazda6 rims.

Those are an inch wider as well aren't they? Do they rub at all? You haven't lowered it yet have you? I am super interested in doing this but with dark gray.

I have the same wheel on mine. Afaik they are wider. I have my P5 lowered on Eibach prokit springs with 215-45-17 tires no rubbing what so ever.

Awesome. Which tires are closest to the original circumference? I don't want to affect my gearing or anything.

Back