Rearview mirror cover removal CX-5 '22

:
2022 CX-5 T
2022 Turbo CX-5, autodimming mirror (not frameless). I am trying to remove the forward sensing camera cover to tap into the rearview mirror cable (dash cam installation). The official CX-5 instruction says pull the right side of the panel (label A in the picture) to the right, then do the same on the left side (label B). But no matter how hard I pull on the panel, it refuses to come off. I am applying quite a lot of force. Similar luck on the left side. I also tried following Auto Minute's Youtube video using a pry tool. Tried to force the panels away from each other by inserting the tool into the gap (label C), heard a definite crack somewhere close to the windshield and decided to back off before I break any plastic pins. Is there a hidden screw that I am overlooking? Should I be pushing both panels inwards when pulling them apart? Or maybe pushing one inwards while pulling the other one outwards?

1.jpg

2022 Turbo CX-5, autodimming mirror (not frameless). I am trying to remove the forward sensing camera cover to tap into the rearview mirror cable (dash cam installation). The official CX-5 instruction says pull the right side of the panel (label A in the picture) to the right, then do the same on the left side (label B). But no matter how hard I pull on the panel, it refuses to come off. I am applying quite a lot of force. Similar luck on the left side. I also tried following Auto Minute's Youtube video using a pry tool. Tried to force the panels away from each other by inserting the tool into the gap (label C), heard a definite crack somewhere close to the windshield and decided to back off before I break any plastic pins. Is there a hidden screw that I am overlooking? Should I be pushing both panels inwards when pulling them apart? Or maybe pushing one inwards while pulling the other one outwards?

View attachment 308574
From what I remember on my '17 there was a clip somewhere in the middle that you just apply a little force to and it pops apart.

if I recall even two clips :)
push it in the center above C
and pull apart A and B.
force has to be applied only to right and to the left not towards the glass. Use the mirror holder hole to help you push.
Its tricky the first 1-2 times.

Back