Rear Wiper stopped working just out of warranty

BROADBEAN9513

:
CX5 2.2 D (175) SPORT NAV AWD WITH SAFETY PACK
Today my rear wiper operated intermittently then just suddenly stopped altogether. Has anyone had this before? I have only done 33K in 3 years. Not happy with some of the issues I have had with the CX5. Long list of minor niggles and build quality rust spots etc.(bang)

If it moves every now and then, possibly a bad electrical connection. If so, it might not cost too much to have repaired.

The one on my Protege5 quit after about 9 years. The electric motor just seized. It slowed down to a crawl over a few weeks and just stopped completely. That does not appear to be your problem.

Today my rear wiper operated intermittently then just suddenly stopped altogether. Has anyone had this before?

Never heard of anyone having an issue.

It could be a partially inserted fuse or (believe it or not) a partially blown fuse.

Since you're not far out of warranty, the dealer may still fix it for free as a gesture of goodwill. Can't hurt to try.

I had an odd one today with rear wiper. It was running when I turned off car so it was basically at 11 o'clock. As I started car it didn't return to home position or make any movements. I toggled stock to all different positions. When I got home I turned car off and then back on hoping it would reset it. I then turned car off again and proceeded to make sure everything else electrical in rear including lights worked. Everything else worked. Now before returning power I flicked the wiper stock rapidly to a bunch of different positions on the intermittent rear wiper control and then left in off position. I turned on power and wiper returned to home position.

I guess I'll have to keep an eye on this... not sure if it was a stuck relay that needed longer power off or the wiper stock has a bad electrical contact in it. I don't really use the rear wiper that often but used it in a "ON" mode for a longer than normal period today due to heavy showers.

Cost cutting by limiting the tolerances of the parts. We should expect more not only with vehicles but with other appliances as well.

Sent from my ASUS_Z012D using Tapatalk

Hi guys,

Let me just share to you my experience.
My 2018 (purchased late 2017) had this issue since the beginning. first I noticed that the rear wiper doesn't stop and go back to it's resting and or initial position. It's a bit higher. And then from time to time it will stop without water (wet or dry). I don't live close to where I bought the vehicle so I just raise the issue whenever I have my car serviced. It currently has 24,000 now. So I had 3 services done already. At 8k service, they changed the wiper blades. 16k service they did not do anything since they were not able to replicate the problem. 24k service, I brought a video that showed the problem. They did service the wiper bushing by adding grease (they said it was not greased properly). Unfortunately, few days after, the problem was back again. Issue is it happens randomly. At times it gets stuck for few minutes and then it works.
I took the vehicle to a different Mazda service centre (nearest to my place). They checked it and asked for the video which they sent to MAZDA Canada. After they dismantled the back panel they told me that they need to wait for a response from Mazda before they can do something. I needed the vehicle so I asked them to put the panel back and just call me when they get the reply from Mazda. After a week they called back. MAZDA's instruction was to remove the aftermarket accessories which are: 1. DVD player=plugged to the cigarette plug in, 2. dual back up camera=hardwire (tap but not in the wiper fuse) They told me that I have to pay for the labour cost which really surprised me. I told them that I will just call back.
I don't think that the accessories has something to do with it because it is really dumb for the wiper to get affected with the dvd and dash cam and plus there is no connection between them. Plus, the problem started long time ago and I only installed the dash cam recently.
I called the mazda center where I bought the vehicle and decided to book an appointment even though I am not having any service as I just recently had the 24k service. I requested for a loner car this time. Good thing they reassured me that I don't have to pay anything. Of course I shouldn't, it is just a year old (warranty). I am not sure why the other mazda centre was charging me for the labour (trying to make money from me since I didn't purchase vehicle from them?).
Any I am crossing my fingers and hopefully they will just replace the motor. fro me, it is clear that the motor is the problem.
But overall I am really satisfied and happy with my CX9.

You do know that this is a CX-5 forum...?

Thanks dad.
I'd imagine the CX-5 and CX-9 use the same if not a very similar system to control the wipers..

This 1 year old thread bump though.. funny to see good Ole MikeM. RIP

Back