Rear wheel air time

I finished well mid-pack because my times weren't as fast the the ones on the first day on the fully prepared ST car which allowed me to be in the top 12 out of 40 on saturday.
The top drivers in JCW and Cooper S Minis, and STi WRXs over here are very fast. It's an extremely competitive class. Really miss my MSP but the 2 was just plain old fun to drive.

I've been avoiding cones for far too many years now and driven so many different cars from the late '80s to today in different engine-drivetrain layout to say, that yes the 2 has potential.
If somebody would have the time and the money to properly set-up one for ST or FSP. It would be one of the cars to beat (if they move all the '89 Si to STS class).

Last edited:
I ran in Solo2 H-Stock ths past Saturday wih my Mazda 2, and I was told that I was frequently getting air time on a rear wheel in the corners, of significant height. No pics though... :(

I don't consider it to be a bad thing per se... It's good that our cars are that stiff, and don't flex in the corners!

I ran in Street Touring last Sunday at the local SCCA Solo event and managed to place third out of nine entries.
http://www.scca-susq.com/results/2011/11-06-26-axresults.html
They always post a photo of each entry and I got to "analyze" my shot going into a tight right turn. Rear wheel is off the ground and front left wheel is almost rubbing on the fender. I really wish Koni or someone would bring out a set of sport shocks to replace the stock shocks I have installed (with Eibach sport springs...no I don't want to install a set of coil-overs thank you)

232323232%7Ffp53983%3Enu%3D4789%3E872%3E253%3EWSNRCG%3D338%3B%3B%3A743%3A344nu0mrj

It's unlikely that shocks will help prevent that from happening. Increasing the spring rate at the opposite corner (driver front, in this case) is the way to keep all four corners down. Unfortunately, completely preventing that possibility might mean really stiff springs.

Lifting an inside rear wheel is part of the grand tradition of hot hatches through the years. All the cool cars do it...especially VWs.

autocross%20017.jpg

Hell yeah VWs (even 4-doors) love to 3-wheel! Subcompacts rule.

78180296.jpg

My old '90 Jetta

Back