Rear brakes have worn faster (2016.5 CX-5 AWD)

:
2016.5 Mazda CX 5 Grand Touring W/ Tech PKG
My 2016.5 AWD with 45,637 miles. Did oil change dealer said rear brakes at 4mm front are at 8mm. Does rear wear faster then front by that much?

Rear does wear faster than the front.

Also, rear is thinner to begin with than the front. IIRC, the rear pads are 1-2 mm thinner when new anyway. i.e. front 10mm rear 8or9mm when new.

With the low 45637 miles your 2016.5 model's OEM pads, you should clean and lube the caliper slide pins if that has never been done.

Rear does wear faster than the front.

Also, rear is thinner to begin with than the front. IIRC, the rear pads are 1-2 mm thinner when new anyway. i.e. front 10mm rear 8or9mm when new.

With the low 45637 miles your 2016.5 model's OEM pads, you should clean and lube the caliper slide pins if that has never been done.
And the rear pads are also much smaller in area hence wear much faster.

The spec says the minimum thickness for disk pads is 2 mm. And you aren’t in the hurry needing the rear pad replacement unless you have uneven thickness between inner and outer pads which may indicate you have dragging issue and need revised rear disk calipers.

Thank you everyone, good information and thanks for the service bulletin. Two months into our ownership we did have the electric parking break sticking issue.. we would release it and when placed into reverse or drive the backend would rock hard due to the E brake not releasing.
To confirm at 4mm we can go a few weeks? Would you go dealer or to private or dyi?

... To confirm at 4mm we can go a few weeks? ...

Unless something has changed, you've used about 4ish mm of rear pad in your 45637 miles so roughly 10k miles per mm of pad wear. At that rate, you would be another 20k miles before you reached the "book" service limit (which, IMHO is conservative)

Good for another 20,000 miles 👍

Thank you everyone, good information and thanks for the service bulletin. Two months into our ownership we did have the electric parking break sticking issue.. we would release it and when placed into reverse or drive the backend would rock hard due to the E brake not releasing.
To confirm at 4mm we can go a few weeks? Would you go dealer or to private or dyi?
Did you get the EPB dragging issue fixed with new revised calipers under warranty?

I agree with @HyFlyer that your rear pads may still good for another 20,000 miles with 4 mm left. But you should start to check the pad thickness more often just in case.

Dealer? indie? or DIY? This really depends on many variables. I personally would prefer DIY. If you know some good indie or Mazda dealer, you can let them do it too. Brakes Plus usually is a good place to do the brake job.

We took it in for the fix due to the sticking of the EPB, they(the dealer) kept it for 24 hrs however, They “Couldn’t replicate the sticking”.. and they stated they would keep notes in our account.. a month later the driver side rear got so hot from it dragging the wheel sensor indicator said the tire pressure was off.. took it in again but by then it was okay again.. been frustrating. We are original owners bought it with 4 miles on it. It’s Been good car except this..
I printed out the service bulletin and will take it in when I get the brakes done in another 10-15k since I should be okay..

Electronic Brake Force Distribution (EBD)

Among other things, it keeps the front from nose-diving under heavy breaking

I think folks are referring to Electronic/Electric Parking Brake in this thread.
The original post was about rear brakes wearing faster than front brakes.
There was no mention of the EPB system until the fifth post.
As mentioned above, the rears in almost all cars (not just Mazda) with 4 wheel disc brakes wear out first.
Newer cars have a rear wheel brake bias built in to them to reduce nose-diving, as dunhillmc noted.

Back