2017~2024 Do rear brakes get more use than front?

I believe that the rear brakes are set to active slightly earlier to help with straight line stability. If you slowly drag your brakes to a stop, you may be only using the rears but, if you stop with a normal fairy brisk stop, then you bring the fronts into play. If correct, then the person who drives easy and uses the brakes lightly will replace the rears first. Make sense to me but then, I was wrong once last year. Ed
I agree that how the car is driven probably makes a significant difference in the wear rates.

Mazda surely had something in mind when they designed and sized the brakes. And they surely have tests to confirm the system behaves as intended. But they have to make decisions on how to test them, and what use cases are their primary design target.

Seems like they could have made the rear pads a little bigger if they thought the system were likely to use the rears faster. But they also may only be aiming to last for a few years and X number of miles before replacement. Maybe the fronts are over-designed for longevity because they need to be more robust for hard braking, and the longer than required usage life comes as a side effect.

Under emergency brake application, having larger rear brakes wouldn't make a significant difference.

Back