Realistic price discount for a 2023 CX-5?

There's always a way to "do more", it just comes down to how much grinding a person is willing to do, and whether or not they think it will be worth it.

@oldspicejet, if I'm reading your original post correctly, they sent you an invoice for the car, but you haven't paid for it yet. Is that correct? Did they ask you to make a deposit? If they did, is it refundable?

What I would do is contact the other two dealerships via email and tell them that you've received other offers for the vehicle at MSRP pricing, then ask them if they can do $1000 below MSRP. If they reply in an email that they can, you have an extra bargaining chip with your current dealer. Even if the current dealership refuses to match the price, and you have to forfeit a $500 deposit to walk away from the deal, you can still save $500 by going to the other dealer. Just be sure to finalize that deal before cancelling your original deal. I wouldn't want you to give up your deposit, then show up at the other dealer only for them to pull some bait-and-switch tactics on you.

Again, it all comes down to how much you want to fight for a better price. If you're comfortable with the price you paid, it might just be easier/less stressful to not worry about the deal and be excited for your new car! But, if you want those extra savings, the advice provided by others above is how you get them.

When I bought my CX-9, I basically did exactly what @Tchman2016 described in post #18, only it was not a secret that I was pitting them against each other. I basically told them all what I was looking for, what I wanted to pay, and who I was sending copies of this email to.

There's always a way to "do more", it just comes down to how much grinding a person is willing to do, and whether or not they think it will be worth it.

@oldspicejet, if I'm reading your original post correctly, they sent you an invoice for the car, but you haven't paid for it yet. Is that correct? Did they ask you to make a deposit? If they did, is it refundable?

What I would do is contact the other two dealerships via email and tell them that you've received other offers for the vehicle at MSRP pricing, then ask them if they can do $1000 below MSRP. If they reply in an email that they can, you have an extra bargaining chip with your current dealer. Even if the current dealership refuses to match the price, and you have to forfeit a $500 deposit to walk away from the deal, you can still save $500 by going to the other dealer. Just be sure to finalize that deal before cancelling your original deal. I wouldn't want you to give up your deposit, then show up at the other dealer only for them to pull some bait-and-switch tactics on you.

Again, it all comes down to how much you want to fight for a better price. If you're comfortable with the price you paid, it might just be easier/less stressful to not worry about the deal and be excited for your new car! But, if you want those extra savings, the advice provided by others above is how you get them.

When I bought my CX-9, I basically did exactly what @Tchman2016 described in post #18, only it was not a secret that I was pitting them against each other. I basically told them all what I was looking for, what I wanted to pay, and who I was sending copies of this email to.
thanks. I haven't yet paid the $500 refundable deposit anywhere. My original statement to Dealer 1 was that I won't pay more than MSRP and I want $500 loyalty discount. Other dealers tried to at least get paid for the $1000 in dealer installed options but I said "nope, I already got MSRP offer from Dealer 1" They all later said that theyll do MSRP on their own. The fact that I didn't have to haggle and pin them against each other makes me think they could do better on the discount. They all have cars on the lot too at this point. Maybe they don't have all the colors and trims but they do have inventory so seems things are changing. Im just not sure how low to go. Counter them with $1000 less + $500 loyalty + let me have all the dealer options free?

When I bought a 2015 CX-5 new, I got $2,000 off the sticker by doing the pin technique over email and one dealer called me end of month saying, "if you come today I'll do your price" so I went on a Sunday and bought it. Something is up with Toyota though. They want $10,000 over sticker for the Plug in Rav4 at this point. I asked the sales guy "how these buyers will make up the difference in MPG by paying $55k for a Rav4? He said he has no idea what these people are thinking.

Something is up with Toyota though. They want $10,000 over sticker for the Plug in Rav4 at this point. I asked the sales guy "how these buyers will make up the difference in MPG by paying $55k for a Rav4? He said he has no idea what these people are thinking.
Yeah, my brother is shopping RAV4 & the Toyota dealer who just acquired the Mazda/VW dealer I've been dealing with is advertising $2k ADM on a normal RAV4 & $4k ADM on a hybrid. So far they haven't advertised that on any of the Mazda's & VW's.

At the 1/2 dozen or so Toyota dealers my brother has shopped, all the incoming RAV's are presold. My Mazda dealer seems to have a fair number of CX-5's.

I suggest that while doing negotiation leave the $500 loyalty discount out of it.
Dealer will apply that into the final price anyway. They get that money from Mazda.
Keep negotiation simple.

Last edited:
thanks guys. I reached out to 3 local dealers in Los Angeles area and all wanted to sell car with up to $1000 in dealer extras. I said "no thanks, I dont want the extras and will only pay MSRP" over email and later in day all came back with, "OK ill do MSRP"

This makes me wonder if I could have asked for $500-$1000 under MSRP for something like the Premium Plus trim which is what I inquired about.
It’s a fine line. You don’t want to offer a higher price and then try to haggle them down. You want to start with a lower offer and then negotiate up if needed. On the flip side, if your offer is too low, the dealers might not think you’re serious about buying or it’s not worth their time.

A CX-5 is not a rav 4, it's way better and I personally found the RAV4 to be a POS as far as quality, features, luxury and style go compared the mazda. I'd personally rather have the Mazda and let the brainwashed Toyota or Honda lovers get screwed over with nonsense ADM. Mazda is tops in quality and a little known secret. People think they are superior. They are not and have many many problems of their own. Be smart.

A CX-5 is not a rav 4, it's way better and I personally found the RAV4 to be a POS as far as quality, features, luxury and style go compared the mazda. I'd personally rather have the Mazda and let the brainwashed Toyota or Honda lovers get screwed over with nonsense ADM. Mazda is tops in quality and a little known secret. People think they are superior. They are not and have many many problems of their own. Be smart.
Agreed. I compared everything in this category and went for the Mazda. When my first CX-5 was rear ended & totaled at 4 months I replaced it with it's clone. My youngest son has a Mazda 3 & loves it. He's had no problems whatsoever. My older son lost his car in a flood & wanted to replace it with a GTR cause he liked mine so much. We tried in vain to find a GTR but peak pandemic could not find one available. He "settled" on a CRV mainly because one was available on the dealers lot. It's an ok vehicle but not on par with my GTR in my opinion.

I would suggest waiting to buy if all possible as we are at the beginning of a big market correction. Prices will be falling for a while now. Hopefully we get back to a buyer favorable market soon. Dealers have had a nice ride....

Here in NJ most dealers are selling at MSRP. The one I got my 2022 CX 5 from gave me $500 discount + $500 loyalty. That was 3 weeks ago.

Mazda dealer an hour from LA is having a "blow out sale". They have around 73 CX-5 on their inventory. This is the dealer that sold my CX-5 Premium last January at $40,549 excld taxes. The MSRP was $33,535. Dealer installed options $4,790. There was another $2,224 of charges that the finance manager did not provide any explanation of what it was for.

Two posts I've seen that you have talked about the $7000 plus "upcharge" from the dealership "finance manager" with $2224 of it that you don't seem to know what it was for. @LACX5 , are you satisfied with your purchase?

Mazda dealer an hour from LA is having a "blow out sale". They have around 73 CX-5 on their inventory. This is the dealer that sold my CX-5 Premium last January at $40,549 excld taxes. The MSRP was $33,535. Dealer installed options $4,790. There was another $2,224 of charges that the finance manager did not provide any explanation of what it was for.

Dealer installed options $4,790. There was another $2,224 of charges that the finance manager did not provide any explanation of what it was for.

And you didn't ask about these charges? They must LOVE you at this dealership. I'll bet they're chomping at the bit to see you come back in for service...

Last edited:
I also sold cars for years - possibly I have something to help a fellow Mazda friend

Thanks for the input @diehard080! Always good to learn more about the mindset of the salesperson/dealer. We have a lot of members who can provide good advice as past buyers, but very few members who can provide advice as sellers. I'm sure this will help a lot in navigating future new car purchases with a salesperson.

I suggest that while doing negotiation leave the $500 royalty discount out of it.
Dealer will apply that into the final price anyway. They get that money from Mazda.
Keep negotiation simple.

Royalty discount, you say?

prince-charles-rt-jt-190903_hpMain_16x9_1600.jpg

Thanks for the input @diehard080! Always good to learn more about the mindset of the salesperson/dealer. We have a lot of members who can provide good advice as past buyers, but very few members who can provide advice as sellers. I'm sure this will help a lot in navigating future new car purchases with a salesperson.
Well - there is a MUCH simpler way - If you live in LA - Drive to Scottsdale Az - The #1 dealer in sales in the USA is there - called "Mark "- I dont work for them and never have or have no friend or other that works there - That said ...They sell every car for MSRP- no more - ever -
You can buy the car there, pay only Scottsdale city tax (1.7%)approx - then they give you a 90 registration( free) - go back to Ca ( a short drive 1/2 day ) and pay Ca tax and registration - apparently many peopke are doing this - It just dawned on me after I reread your post and saw you lived in LA -

I paid msrp ie $38720 OTD no other fees added on. I thought that was high, as I am used to getting under msrp, but nobody within $500 was better and some were wanting over msrp. They did throw in 2 free oil changes and tire rotations but I do that myself so I won't even use them. They did have to do a dealer trade with another dealer to get the white I wanted and did not charge for that and I am guessing that had to cost a little out of their pocket as the car was on a dealer lot over 200 miles away and I know they used a truck as the car had 15 miles on it when I picked it up. View attachment 317593
IMG_3225.jpg

I paid msrp ie $38720 OTD no other fees added on.
FYI, OTD pricing is considered the total you paid, including fees and taxes. It is not something that is comparable on the web, but it seems like you're referring to your "negotiated" price. Your CR-V was totaled, so you had no trade in, correct?

FYI, OTD pricing is considered the total you paid, including fees and taxes. It is not something that is comparable on the web, but it seems like you're referring to your "negotiated" price. Your CR-V was totaled, so you had no trade in, correct?
Correct my otd the door price was msrp we don’t have sales tax here and no fees were added. Straight msrp is what i paid. Ie $38720 is what the car had on factory maroney sticker and that is what I paid. In all the vehicles I have bought in the past I always paid under msrp OTD. my truck had an msrp of over $58000 and in august of 2020 I paid $50000 OTD. Dealerships did not know how they were going to be affected by covid so a few months later that would have never happened.

Last edited:
Back