Ready for a 2nd-Gen Seven-Seater Mazda CX-5?

Did not know there was a cx4

Sent from my LG-D400 using Tapatalk

Yup 2017 exclusive to China at the moment, looks nice, not to get off-topic, def not as much room as the CX5 but nice design! Same engine options as the CX5 as far as I've read:

Last edited:
2 more seats in a CX-5? Big winner in Asia and with Asian families, who (and I know this because I'm married into one) like to haul everyone along everywhere.

If the extra seating hurt the cargo capacity, I might not even buy the CX-5. But it's likely Mazda has many more sales, potentially, in China than in North America and Europe combined, especially if they can get "LV" tattooed on the seats. ;-)

The 3rd row might not fold down completely due to the spare wheel, so it probably will hurt the cargo space.

Most Asia countries now have the policy of max of 2 kids to cull over-population. Also, those with more than 2 kids tend not to be wealthy enough to afford a car. In the past, big families tend to get together frequently (cousins, distant relatives, ...) but modern lifestyle seems to reduce their activities to single/smaller family (yup, I'm an Asian with big families on both sides of the globe).

The 3rd row might not fold down completely due to the spare wheel, so it probably will hurt the cargo space.

Most Asia countries now have the policy of max of 2 kids to cull over-population. Also, those with more than 2 kids tend not to be wealthy enough to afford a car. In the past, big families tend to get together frequently (cousins, distant relatives, ...) but modern lifestyle seems to reduce their activities to single/smaller family (yup, I'm an Asian with big families on both sides of the globe).

An Asian dude in Minnesota?

Given how much effort Mazda tried to shave weight with the whole SkyActive thing, adding 2 seats probably won't work with "reasonable fuel economy" :)
Heard this argument before... ;) Adding 50 lbs. of sound deadening material to make CX-5 less noisy will affect the handling and fuel economy! Other compact CUVs have no problems adding sound deadening materials or the 3rd row seat. Mazda engineers are very smart and they can figure out those weight issues for us!

The rogue has no spare tire if you get the third row option. Instead you have to make due with bad run-flat tires. I think it may also reduce cargo room, there's still a hump when they're folded.

The rogue has no spare tire if you get the third row option. Instead you have to make due with bad run-flat tires. I think it may also reduce cargo room, there's still a hump when they're folded.

My neighbor has run flats on her RAV4. She got a flat tire recently and they could not patch it so she had to replace it, which was very difficult to find a tireshop with the OE run flats in stock. When she did eventually found a place with an equivalent tire, it was very expensive. I forget exactly how much it was, I want to say over $200. After seeing the hassle she had to go thru, I am staying away from run-flats. I hope Mazda never goes that route.

Basically my childhood:

55361844-1298868979-xe-5.jpg

Or, transporting cattle
cow%2Bon%2Ba%2Bmotorcycle.jpg

So in sum... third row compact SUV PROS/CONS

Pro:
You can seat two extra very small children

Con:
No spare tire (must use run flats which are expensive to replace and have a whole lot of other issues not mentioned here)
Little/no cargo when in use
Reduced cargo room when folded
Additional cost (Rogue's is another $1k or so)
Can't be used for anyone but very tiny humans - little room for feet and shoulders

The best people haulers are minivans. They also get the best cargo volume.
It's silly they have a stigma.

I've hauled a ping pong table, full size sofa, and a lawn tractor in my minivans (no, not all at once . . .). I plan to keep one as one of my vehicles for the foreseeable future.

I have a big family of big people. Danes tend to be tall. :)

We have looked at the 7 passenger Rogue. It would be nice for my wife to grab a bunch of grandkids for a short outing, but for $1k extra I question the value for us.

The Nissan salesman told us that the 7 passenger option was about 10% of the market, at least here in Iowa.

The Rogue is a nice vehicle, but I'm not sold on CV transmissions or Nissan's reliability.

I have a big family of big people. Danes tend to be tall. :)
We have looked at the 7 passenger Rogue. It would be nice for my wife to grab a bunch of grandkids for a short outing, but for $1k extra I question the value for us.
The Nissan salesman told us that the 7 passenger option was about 10% of the market, at least here in Iowa.
The Rogue is a nice vehicle, but I'm not sold on CV transmissions or Nissan's reliability.
Next-gen Honda CR-V should offer the 3-row seating with better reliability. Unfortunately we may still be getting CVT instead of 9-speed auto offered in Europe for better EPA fuel economy ratings. That's why I'm hoping Mazda can offer the 3rd-row seating as an option for the next-gen CX-5, but I don't put too much hope in it.

Many years ago we're in Iowa City for several years. I guess winter is still cold in Iowa and I still have an image that the weatherman was reporting "the current temperature is -60F with wind-chill factor"!

Next-gen Honda CR-V should offer the 3-row seating with better reliability. Unfortunately we may still be getting CVT instead of 9-speed auto offered in Europe for better EPA fuel economy ratings. That's why I'm hoping Mazda can offer the 3rd-row seating as an option for the next-gen CX-5, but I don't put too much hope in it.

Many years ago we're in Iowa City for several years. I guess winter is still cold in Iowa and I still have an image that the weatherman was reporting "the current temperature is -60F with wind-chill factor"!

Europe not only gets the 9-speeds vs CVTs, they get Type R's too. Shoot they'll probably get a Skyactiv Mazdaspeed 3 before us.

If the third row becomes available I'd like to have one. I wouldn't use it all the time, only when needed and only for shorter distances. This is currently how I use the 3rd row in my Mazda 5. Those of you that don't want to/don't need to can leave it folded flat and never know it's there ... until that one time it comes in handy.

Is this just extreme speculation talk, or is there a date set for a new CX-5 to be introduced?

Europe not only gets the 9-speeds vs CVTs, they get Type R's too. Shoot they'll probably get a Skyactiv Mazdaspeed 3 before us.

You don't want that 9-speed. It's made by ZF. Junk. Here is what one review has to say about the POS, and we all know how they are taking a dump in Acura's and Jeeps...NOONE can get the trash to work. Not Honda, not Acura, not Chrysler. NOONE who uses it. Avoid ZF, is my best advice.

The nine-speed gearbox changes gears in a swift fashion, whether you're traveling around the city or outside the urban jungle. This only adds to the overall comfort level, but there are some exceptions.

For example, at times, when the car is only travelling at around 12 mph (20 km/h) or 19 mph (30 km/h) and decide to step on it, the gearbox needs a couple of seconds before executing your orders. Sure, that's not a major inconvenient unless you're sitting in a traffic jam and all of a sudden everyone starts moving, but it also means Honda still has some refining to do in this regard.

Moreover, when you're travelling on the highway at speeds of around, let's say, 80 mph (130 km/h), the gearbox will stay engaged in the eighth gear, and not the ninth as I expected. However, if you decide to slow down, or you're going slightly uphill, the transmission will shift into the ninth gear.

Last edited:
They have a stigma in the US. Europe has awesome minivans from VW, Renault, Peugeot and asian manufacturers that are not the usual boring minivan. Have you seen the Renault Espace? If I had 2-3 kids THAT would be the perfect car for the family.

They have a stigma in the US. Europe has awesome minivans from VW, Renault, Peugeot and asian manufacturers that are not the usual boring minivan. Have you seen the Renault Espace? If I had 2-3 kids THAT would be the perfect car for the family.

How are Renault and Peugeot these days for reliability? I know Renault has a strategic partnership with Nissan and that should tell us something but back in the 80's the Renault and Peugeot models sold here were pretty much junk IMO.

Latest posts

Back