Raybestos Element 3 - Where to buy?

GoodGuyDudu

2016.5 CX-5 GT AWD (Mousse)
Hi!

So I saw a lot of positive feedback on the Raybestos Element 3 brake rotors abd pads for the CX-5. I have a 2016 and I want to buy a whole kit (front and rear rotors and pads), but I can't find them anywhere.

For those that bought them, where did you buy them from? I'm in Canada, but willing to buy in US. RockAuto has them, but 170$ for shipping alone...

Thanks!!

I once worked up an order from Rock auto, printed it out and went to my local parts store around the corner and handed it to them and asked if they could price competitively . They did. Matched it. And I didn't have to pay for shipping and worry if some porch pirate was gonna get my goodies.

I really dislike how rock auto handles their shipping from "multiple warehouses". Seems like a gimmick to me to make lower list prices to wow you and bring you in and then in checkout you have all these multiple shipping charges. No thanks!

I once worked up an order from Rock auto, printed it out and went to my local parts store around the corner and handed it to them and asked if they could price competitively . They did. Matched it. And I didn't have to pay for shipping and worry if some porch pirate was gonna get my goodies.

I really dislike how rock auto handles their shipping from "multiple warehouses". Seems like a gimmick to me to make lower list prices to wow you and bring you in and then in checkout you have all these multiple shipping charges. No thanks!
Totally, exactly how I feel! It's sucks that that's the way they work, because they have a great offering, but when you go to checkout, there's the catch...

I had no idea that a parts house would match Rock Auto! Dude, great tip!

I really prefer to support local businesses whenever possible even at a slightly higher cost. If we don't, our local stores will disappear and our only choice will be the mega big giant stores who don't care so much about us.

I consider myself very fortunate to have a regional auto parts solution center (I call them a solution center because they are so much more than just a parts store) that was founded right in my local area. They are family owned and operated by customer focused people just like it should be. Just like (if you are older) you remember the world used to be. Their main warehouse is just a few minutes away from me so they always have exactly what I need right there. They also have a couple of machine shops that can do all kinds of work for you. It's a DIY guy's best friend (y)

So, the thought process from their side when a guy like me walks in with a $500 list from Rock Auto and says "hey, I'd rather buy from you. Can you be competitive?" is pretty simple. Yeah, their advertised prices would be higher but they can sell that list to me at that price and STILL make money. Not as much but still make a profit and the sale doesn't walk out the door and buy from a competitor.

I have a friend that owns a roofing company and he put it like this ... Sure, I love to dine on a seven course meal, it's wonderful but seven small sammiches fill me up just the same.

I enjoy negotiating for all kinds of things. It's good practice. You'd be surprised at even just simple things like a hamburger can be negotiated. Worst that can happen is someone says no. That's okay too. If I say "breakfast hut across the street has 2 for $3 on their muffin sammich's, can you do that?" and lot's of times the answer is "sure, we'll do that for you" taking me 8 seconds to secure a 66% savings on my breakfast. That makes me smile lol.

Last edited:
At the moment I only own a Mazda CX7, but I use the Canadian website partsavatar.ca and they had the Raybestos Element 3 in stock last time I purchased brakes.
in a couple of years I will be selling my CX7 and getting a CX5, so I have been using that website and a few others to get prices for my current car and what I might be paying for the CX5 later.

I recently did my rear brakes with the Raybestos Element 3 Hybrid (semi/ceramic mix -- Not full ceramic Element 3 -I'm done with full ceramics). They cost about $25 from Amazon and grip really good. The friction coefficients marked on the pads are GH instead of the factory and standard aftermarket FF designation. Threw in 2 rotors (just because - the old one's rusty but still serviceable) at ~ $27 each and new rubber caliper pin boots @ $5 (reused pins - great shape). Nice improvement in braking power for $90 total. And I've been running the same pads on the front and they don't dust too much more than the OEM pads. It's not a problem if you wash the wheels occasionally (unless you're really anal). Way cleaner than semi metallic pads and have been wearing well. Just thought I'd throw that out there

I recently did my rear brakes with the Raybestos Element 3 Hybrid (semi/ceramic mix -- Not full ceramic Element 3 -I'm done with full ceramics). They cost about $25 from Amazon and grip really good. The friction coefficients marked on the pads are GH instead of the factory and standard aftermarket FF designation. Threw in 2 rotors (just because - the old one's rusty but still serviceable) at ~ $27 each and new rubber caliper pin boots @ $5 (reused pins - great shape). Nice improvement in braking power for $90 total. And I've been running the same pads on the front and they don't dust too much more than the OEM pads. It's not a problem if you wash the wheels occasionally (unless you're really anal). Way cleaner than semi metallic pads and have been wearing well. Just thought I'd throw that out there
Thanks! So you would recommend hybrids over full ceramic? Never knew there were these two options, jus thought it was Raybestos Element 3s or nothing.

It's the Element 3 EHT (Enhanced Hybrid Technology) that I'm referring to. There are different formulations of Element 3 offered. Here's a page from Summit Racing showing them. I just picked this page for illustration purposes. You'll see organic, semi-metallic, EHT offered. Didn't scroll through all of the pages to look for the full ceramic.
I haven't been happy with the sets of full ceramic I had in the past both in brake feel and grip when cold. I put a set of EHT on the front about 2-1/2 years ago and have been sold ever since. They grip well, wear well, are rotor friendly and are quiet. Low dusting too.

Last edited:
It's the Element 3 EHT (Enhanced Hybrid Technology) that I'm referring to. There are different formulations of Element 3 offered. Here's a page from Summit Racing showing them. I just picked this page for illustration purposes. You'll see organic, semi-metallic, EHT offered. Didn't scroll through all of the pages to look for the full ceramic.
I haven't been happy with the sets of full ceramic I had in the past both in brake feel and grip when cold. I put a set of EHT on the front about 2-1/2 years ago and have been sold ever since. They grip well, wear well, are rotor friendly and are quiet. Low dusting too.

Thanks for the info!

Hi!

So I saw a lot of positive feedback on the Raybestos Element 3 brake rotors abd pads for the CX-5. I have a 2016 and I want to buy a whole kit (front and rear rotors and pads), but I can't find them anywhere.

For those that bought them, where did you buy them from? I'm in Canada, but willing to buy in US. RockAuto has them, but 170$ for shipping alone...

Thanks!!
See my post today. Don't buy pads from Ctire. I purchased premium pads and rotors and in one year they were trash with barely 8000kms! There are lots of fakes online. That's why i buy dealer oem only now, because i can't trust online. See my post on backing off caliper piston issues.

I bought from RockAuto because they had everything in stock and similar price to others who didn't. Came in two boxes in a couple days. I don't know how you got to $170 shipping, even six large USPS boxes wouldn't approach that. And yeah, resetting the auto-adjusting pistons was a counter-intuitive PITA.

If you import to Canada, anything not made in NAFTA, may have import duties added including customs clearance charges. I paid $40 US dollars in charges on a cell phone from USA. Try to buy made in NAFTA, to avoid import duties. Ie. Mexico, Canada or USA. That's why I just buy from dealer as not worth the trouble, unless you buy in person and bring back in your car. Schhhh!

Back