Off Topic Rav4 Prime XSE

I've got 5400 miles on my Prime so far, and am loving it! The acceleration is excellent. As stated, it put a CVT WRX in the review view mirror from a 55mph punch, and I tried it with a WRX STi from a 50mph punch. That is an absolute perfect spot for those, and he was at full boost when we hit it. He jumped out 2.5-3 cars and then I froze the pull/gap until we let off. Very impressive, imo!

Economy is great, with me averaging around 55-60mpg total, and spending only $120/mo or so on fuel, compared to the @$300/mo in fuel for my CX5 turbo. Electricity cost, assuming ZERO contribution from my 12.95kW solar array, is $45-50/mo.

Last edited:
I am burning over $300/mo in fuel. I am preparing to transition into a rav4 prime xse to stave the bleeding as gas prices continue to rise.
I've got 5400 miles on my Prime so far.
Economy is great, with me averaging around 55-60mpg total, and spending only $120/mo or so on fuel, compared to the @$300/mo in fuel for my CX5 turbo. Electricity cost, assuming ZERO contribution from my 12.95kW solar array, is $45-50/mo.
CX-5: 5400 miles/27 MPG = 200 gallons @ $3/gal = $600 ($300/month)
Rav4: 5400 miles/57.5 MPG = 94 gallons @ $3/gal = $282 ($141/month)
If you add in your electricity ($47.50/mo), the Rav4 costs $188/month
So your monthly savings is $112 with the Rav4.

It will take nearly 3 years of fuel savings just to recoup the money spent on the warranty & tires. And this vehicle will be gone in less than 4 years (by which time it will have 130K miles) based on your driving history.

@bluegrass you forgot to factor the most important variable
RAV4: STi race/50 MPH pull = -2.75 car length @ overall avg 57.5 MPG = priceless

What's the issue with him being happy with the performance of his car?

Last edited:
What's the issue with him being happy with the performance of his car?
Huh?
There isn't any issue with him being happy with the performance.

I was simply replying tongue-in-cheek to the previous poster, who said performance was "the most important variable."

Huh?
There isn't any issue with him being happy with the performance.

I was simply replying tongue-in-cheek to the previous poster, who said performance was "the most important variable."

See edit, this post was not directed towards you. Sorry for the confusion.

CX-5: 5400 miles/27 MPG = 200 gallons @ $3/gal = $600 ($300/month)
Rav4: 5400 miles/57.5 MPG = 94 gallons @ $3/gal = $282 ($141/month)
If you add in your electricity ($47.50/mo), the Rav4 costs $188/month
So your monthly savings is $112 with the Rav4.

It will take nearly 3 years of fuel savings just to recoup the money spent on the warranty & tires. And this vehicle will be gone in less than 4 years (by which time it will have 130K miles) based on your driving history.
Don't forget the $7500 I'll be getting back in taxes.

The fact that this engine has 120k mile plugs. ($900 in savings for dealership job, $400 for home job using oem plugs).

The lack of any belts to replace. ($200 including labor, $300 if we assume preventative tensioner replacement).

The incredibly high residual value of Toyota hybrid products. (A prime retains 58% of its value after 4 years, driven 21k miles per year. A cx5, 55%. If we go out to 8 years at 21k miles, the gap wides with the Prime at 29% and the cx5 at 23%. This is per CarEdge calculator, and 21k/year mi is max.)

The uncertain future of gas prices. (Who knows?)

The 10k oil change intervals (which I plan to follow. I just had the oil changed and it wasnt dirty at all, nor did it smell of fuel. Also, EV use. I feel very ok with 10k intervals). Oil changes in the Prime using 0-16 Synthetic cost $67/ea. Oil changes in the CX5 using M1 5-30EP cost me almost the same, but I felt 5k mi was a good interval with a DI only turbo engine.

Also...I like it much better than the cx5. It's far more exclusive being a Prime vs any model of cx5. Its a full second faster 0-60, and instead of a 3 car loss to a v6 camry, I pulled off a 1 car win. (The 301hp Camry with 8 speed is legit...). So far the only negatives:

Most switches do not have illumination. Toyota is fixing it for 2022.
Handling is better by the numbers, but feels number.
Traction is actually limited, at times (wet, dirty roads, etc) as the awd under wot is much more fwd biased. The cx5 felt ever so slightly more rigid.

The positives:

Mpg, faster, way better AA, ACP interface, handling, seats by far, maintenance, ride height, etc. The awd is much more surefooted at my gravel drive. No slip and grip, and the power is super linear vs luggg....shift...if you dont lock the auto in 1st. When you smash a wrx or something, they die inside a bit harder. Its a rav4...

Neutral:
NVH at freeway speeds is pretty near identical. Lower, the prime wins. At higher speeds, the prime wins due to better aerodynamics. It doesnt have as much whistle and whoosh at 90, for example.

Last edited:
@bluegrass you forgot to factor the most important variable
RAV4: STi race/50 MPH pull = -2.75 car length @ overall avg 57.5 MPG = priceless
I was most impressed that I froze his pull after the initial hit. This thing does not nose over at higher speeds like I thought it might. Also, consider he was in gear and ready, and I was in Drive and the engine had to rev up and the car respond to my WOT input. He is quite pleased with his victory, but I also let him game it hard. He picked the gear, speed, everything. At a drag strip from a dig, he would have lost unless he was willing to launch the STI in a manner he considers "abusive", per his own words. This thing is seriously quick for what it is. I am clocking it at 5.75 seconds 0-60 with me driving it. The 30 to 50 is 2.7, and 50 to 70, 3.4 per car and driver. The srt Jeep manages 2.9 and 3.2, respectively. This thing slaps!

20211130_080143.jpg

How's the paint quality?
I think its soft like all Japanese paint, but otherwise identical to my cx5 as best I can tell. I wrapped it just as I did my cx5. I recommend that with all Japanese cars. Whining on the Prime forums about soft paint exists, but not like Soul Red.

Back