Question regarding wiring for Maestro RR unit and a pioneer head unit

Question regarding wiring instructions for Mazda cx5 (2014) 1st generations.
I think the below is correct but please respond if it is not. I also have several questions that if answered will help mw with this installation.
Step 1>
Connect RR A connector pin:
07 Brown/Red wire >> to OBD reader port pin 6 wire spliced so pin6 still works with shop OBD reader
08 Brown/Yellow wire >> to OBD reader port pin 14 wire spliced directly spliced so pin6 still works with shop OBD reader
Question 1>I posted in separate post asking if these could be connected at stock or aftermarket harness on pin 10 and 1Q which is labeld can_h and can_L?
Step2>
01 Purple/Red SWI circuit 1 input >> wire spliced to stock (not 70-7903) side of HU wire harness PIN 1N.
03 Pink/Red SWI circuit 2 input >> wire spliced to stock (not 70-7903) side of HU wire harness PIN 1H.
18 Black/White SWI Ground Feed (-) Output >> wire spliced to stock (not 70-7903) side of HU wire harness PIN 1H.
Question 2>could these be wired to the aftermarket harness like 70-7903 at these pins if additional wire and pin are added or do these need to be wired and spliced to the vehicle side of this cable?
Step 3
14 Gray/Yellow-Super data circuit 2 Radio VSS(if equipped) > pioneer harness Pin 15 Yellow 12+
Gray/Red Radio Super data circuit 1 Accessory wire > pioneer harness ?

Question 3> would it work connected to (green)parking brake wire or (purple) reverse gear? none? On pioneer 16 pin cable?
Connect RR G connector pin:
02 Yellow Radio Battery (+) wire > pioneer harness Pin 15 Yellow 12+
01 Black Radio Ground wire > pioneer harness Pin 16 Black Ground
Qusetion4>should these be also connected to aftermarket harness same color wires?
The pioneer harness has the following labeled cables not hooked up:
Pin 09 Green Parking brake?
Pin 10 Yellow/black Mute?
Pin 11 Orange/white + illumination?
Pin 12 blue/white labeled system remote control?
pin 13 Red wire 12 volt Accessory?
pin 14 purple/white wire labeled Reverse gear signal input?
Question 5> should any of these also be hooked up to either the aftermarket harness or the datalink connector A?
The aftermarket 70-7903 harness has the following wires not hooked up:
Pin 1B labeled +B Yellow 12-volt constant.
Pin 1E labeled TNS + Orange Illumination.
Pin 1W labeled Power Ground Black Chassis Ground.
PIN 1R ACC Red- 12 volts switched power.
Pin 1J Blue/white wire amplifier turn on labeled Amplifier control *1.
Pin 1H Blue power antenna labeled Steering switch.
Question6> should these be connected to the head units 16 pin connector and or the maestro connector A?

to many words... I understand visual aids may help.
This is a reworking of there steps for the cx5 2012-2016 showing pin to pin images and the connectors.

Step1
Step custom diagram.png

Step1>
07 Brown/Red wire >> to OBD reader port pin 6 wire spliced so pin6 still works with shop OBD reader
08 Brown/Yellow wire >> to OBD reader port pin 14 wire spliced directly spliced so pin6 still works with shop OBD reader

question 1> was if I can connect these to either vehicle side or radio side harness on pin 10 and 1Q which is labeled can_h and can_L?
Step 1B question1 custom diagram.png

I think the official response from Maestro will be what has been posted in there forums which is they use the odb port specifically due to signal strength etc.. even though they both run all over the vehicle connecting anywhere may not work due to well other items connecting etc.

I can live with that if that's the reason.

Last edited:
Step 2
Step 2 custom diagram.png

Step2>
01 Purple/Red SWI circuit 1 input >> wire spliced to stock (not 70-7903) side of HU wire harness PIN 1N.
03 Pink/Red SWI circuit 2 input >> wire spliced to stock (not 70-7903) side of HU wire harness PIN 1H.
18 Black/White SWI Ground Feed (-) Output >> wire spliced to stock (not 70-7903) side of HU wire harness PIN 1H.

Step 2 question 2 custom diagram.png

Question 2>Could these be wired to the aftermarket harness like 70-7903 at these pins if additional wires and pins are added or do these need to be wired and spliced to the vehicle side of this cable?

Last edited:
Step 3
Step 3 custom diagram.png

Step 3> Connect RR A connector pin:
14 Gray/Yellow-Super data circuit 2 Radio VSS(if equipped) > pioneer harness Pin 15 Yellow 12+
Gray/Red Radio Super data circuit 1 Accessory wire > pioneer harness ?

Question3-6 really to many random combinations of the above to make visual aids for
Step 3 Question 3 and 4 custom diagram.png

Question 3> would it work connected to (green)parking brake wire or (purple) reverse gear? none? On pioneer 16 pin cable?
Connect RR G connector pin:
02 Yellow Radio Battery (+) wire > pioneer harness Pin 15 Yellow 12+
01 Black Radio Ground wire > pioneer harness Pin 16 Black Ground

Qusetion4>should these be also connected to aftermarket harness same color wires?
The pioneer harness has the following labeled cables not hooked up:
Pin 09 Green Parking brake?
Pin 10 Yellow/black Mute?
Pin 11 Orange/white + illumination?
Pin 12 blue/white labeled system remote control?
pin 13 Red wire 12 volt Accessory?
pin 14 purple/white wire labeled Reverse gear signal input?

Question 5> should any of these also be hooked up to either the aftermarket harness or the datalink connector A?
The aftermarket 70-7903 harness has the following wires not hooked up:
Pin 1B labeled +B Yellow 12-volt constant.
Pin 1E labeled TNS + Orange Illumination.
Pin 1W labeled Power Ground Black Chassis Ground.
PIN 1R ACC Red- 12 volts switched power.
Pin 1J Blue/white wire amplifier turn on labeled Amplifier control *1.
Pin 1H Blue power antenna labeled Steering switch.

Question6> should these be connected to the head units 16 pin connector and or the maestro connector A?

So far I have the speaker wires spliced soldered and shrink wrapped connecting the pioneer 16 pin and the aftermarket 70-7903 harness. which the above info does not effect..Help…lol

I think I figured out Question3 and 4..
says battery wire so direct to vehicle with the harness found a forum response on the RR forum stating that power comes in to G and then out to head unit from 13 grey/red so I'm connecting it that way and leaving the pioneer 12+ yellow and ground black wires not connected at the 16 b pin pioneer harness that connects directly to the head unit but have 13 connected from RR a to it on the red acc wire. still not sure on the VSS will leave it disconnected until its sorted.
Step 3 question3 answer maybe custom diagram.png

Think this is correct? will attempt a call to Maestro before hooking up. the support techs seem to confirm some users to splice 12volt constant to g connector harness and radio as correct but then others state they did not hook up radio and they also confirm that's correct? these devices can be customized per vehicle which may account for the mismatch setups so not sure?
final harness diagram.png

wires not connected to anything still

70-7903 Harness connect to auto and pioneer harness and MAestro plugs
Red 12volt Switched PIN 1R.
Should I connect this to the pioneer red ACC plus 13 gray/red or leave disconnected or use for cameras power?

16 pin pioneer harness to radio and 70-7903 harness.
yellow/black Mute pin?
Purple/white reverse gear signal pin?

Here is the final diagram and everything is working steering wheel controls and OBD2 gauges.
final harness diagram.png

if your system has Bluetooth unit installed buying or making a cable to connect the existing cable will not work. You can take a meter to it and test ohms from one of the 4 pins in the usb port to the 4 pin holes on the cable in the back of the oem head unit. Not sure if you have a Bluetooth optional package check above the glove box if there's a box there with Bluetooth written on it that means your usb jack and auxiliary line run from the console to the Bluetooth and then to the head unit so. vehicles that did not have the Bluetooth tech package have the port going direct to the head unit and can just buy the oem to usb cable..

so if your setup has Bluetooth just by a 6ft usb and auxiliary cable that fits the 12volt accery hole (round) and run it up to the back of the head unit..
the oem one is square so I had to make a square to cover it since the one I bought was round and when inserted left the 4 corners open and looked odd.

I wound up cutting a square piece of black plastic (old craftsman socket set top) rounded the edges and cut a circle out of it to sit my round usb? auxiliary port into then tightened it down in the square hole where the oem usb and auxiliary port used.

so key takeaways on this install.
buy 2 harnesses to make one or be prepared to fabricate your own pins to add to a single harness or cut the vehicle harness and wire everything directly. Buy the additional USB/Auxiliary jack so you don't have to pull it apart again later. check your harness with a meter on your work table and then also when its installed in your vehicle.

I didn't test it connected so wound up driving around for a week with no steering wheel controls.
you'll want to check continuity from the maestro connectors to the back of the vehicle harness my issue causing no steering wheel controls was with harness 1P not being seated so no beep when I should the meter lead in the back of the vehicle side harness was a beep on the aftermarket harness. pulled it apart and made a new pin and wire to resolve the problem.

the RR gauges did not work if you connected to 1q & 1O they only work if you run down to the obd port. so I took some old leads cut from capacitors soldered them to the end of 2 cables plus heat shrink wrap and I plugged them in at the OBD port for it to work.
I also found out that if you disconnect the Bluetooth unit that your keyless entry fabs will not work so just leave that guy connected.

Hopefully this will help others.

Last edited:
to many words... I understand visual aids may help.
This is a reworking of there steps for the cx5 2012-2016 showing pin to pin images and the connectors.

Step1
View attachment 221988
Step1>

question 1> was if I can connect these to either vehicle side or radio side harness on pin 10 and 1Q which is labeled can_h and can_L?
View attachment 221987

I think the official response from Maestro will be what has been posted in there forums which is they use the odb port specifically due to signal strength etc.. even though they both run all over the vehicle connecting anywhere may not work due to well other items connecting etc.

I can live with that if that's the reason.
In fact I tried this today on a Mazda CX-7, didn't work.
Running an OBD2 extension way up to the console didn't work either.
Neither building a custom connector did work.

Can anyone post what was your working solution?

In fact I tried this today on a Mazda CX-7, didn't work.
Running an OBD2 extension way up to the console didn't work either.
Neither building a custom connector did work.

Can anyone post what was your working solution?
Turns out is easy to get the wrong wires. According to the Maestro's install guide:

Ensure the BROWN/RED and BROWN/YELLOW wires are connected to the OBDII (NOT the red/brown and yellow/brown wires).

Check connections at the OBDII connector. Make sure the BROWN/RED wire is on PIN 6 and the BROWN/YELLOW wire is connected to PIN 14 of the OBDII connector.

Do not use T-Taps. Soldering or military splicing methods are recommended. Reset the RR.

That was my case. After I used the correct wires it worked fine. I used a OBD2 extension, though, not the wires in the radio's harness.

Back