Question on towing a boat

Sargecx5

:
2014 Mazda CX5 GT
My wife and I were looking for a boat to go out on the weekends. Something that my CX would pull. I looked at the owners manual, and I showed it to the salesman at Bass Pro Shop here locally. We found an 18' boat that looked like it was well within the range for my truck. (2014 2.5l)

I have searched and all I find is that it has a 2k lbs tow capacity. Here is the boat im looking at.

http://www.tahoesportboats.com/boat/specs.cfm?boat=3626

Q4i-SF_img49737_900.jpg

Anyone?

Well, the euro spec manuals list a higher towing cap, however they are accounting for braked trailers. If it has brakes added then it would fall within euro ratings and not put undue stress on the transmission.

So do I have this straight, you're looking to tow a boat that's 35% heavier than the rated tow capability of your CX-5? That doesn't sound too smart.

The base trailer does not have brakes. You are not accounting for TONS of stuff you will adding to the trailer - cooler, toys, towels, clothing, chairs, tents, etc. Figure an additional 500 pounds. Not to mention you and passengers. Your boat weighs in at around 2,700 lbs. The additional stuff is 500 lbs. So you now have 3,200 lbs. That is as much as the CX-5. Tow rating is 2,000 lbs. You are 50% over that rating.

Also consider maximum payload - four people at 150 pounds is 600 pounds. Add in tongue weight from the trailer (10%) of 320 pounds, and you can only put 80 pounds in the CX-5.

Could you do it. Absolutely!! Should you do it. No. Get a cheap, used pickup if you really want the boat. A CX-5 can tow small trailers and john boats. Not an 18 foot fiberglass ski boat.

OMG!

Do not use your CX-5 to tow that boat!

What makes you think your CX-5 is capable of towing this...?

Ok, so looks like ill be doing this one. Its basically an overgrown jet ski. I should be good.

http://intl.sea-doo.com/Archive/archives_2012/en-US/SB/resources/pdf/Speedster150.pdf

The base trailer does not have brakes. You are not accounting for TONS of stuff you will adding to the trailer - cooler, toys, towels, clothing, chairs, tents, etc. Figure an additional 500 pounds. Not to mention you and passengers. Your boat weighs in at around 2,700 lbs. The additional stuff is 500 lbs. So you now have 3,200 lbs. That is as much as the CX-5. Tow rating is 2,000 lbs. You are 50% over that rating.

Also consider maximum payload - four people at 150 pounds is 600 pounds. Add in tongue weight from the trailer (10%) of 320 pounds, and you can only put 80 pounds in the CX-5.

Could you do it. Absolutely!! Should you do it. No. Get a cheap, used pickup if you really want the boat. A CX-5 can tow small trailers and john boats. Not an 18 foot fiberglass ski boat.

Why do you say that? Its well within the range.

Actually, it's close to the maximum. Do the math.
Boat - 1454#
20 gallons gas - 140#
Trailer - 400 to 500#
Total - 1980 # minimum- WITHOUT anything else, like coolers, anchor, etc.

That's why I keep an F250 around!

It's 2100# dry with the trailer and that doesn't include all the incidentals you'll be carrying. I agree with Ed.

I said keep looking because you first are looking at a boat capable of carrying 4-5 people and is more than capable of towing water skyers. Now you go the opposite way and are considering a much smaller boat with 2 people (they show 3 crunched). I think you can find something closer to your original wants. You also don't mention whether you are using for fresh water or salt. Ed

Hey Ed!

I was looking originally at the Tahoe boat. It was a great buy for the price and features. But Im trying to find a nice boat to cruise that I can tow in the CX. I live a couple blocks from the inlet, and since my stepson is leaving to the air force, I just wanted something for the wife, baby(4yr old), and myself.

The sea doo is the fastest, and rides awesome. The Tahoe is too heavy. Then there is the element from Bayliner.
http://www.bayliner.com/page.aspx/pageid/132731/pmid/323888/Element.aspx

Specifications
Length overall (LOA) 16'2" (4.928 m)
Beam 7'5" (2.134 m)
Approximate weight w/standard engine 1,570 lbs (712.1 kg)
Passenger capacity 6
Fuel capacity 12 gal (45.42 L)

Im thinking if I go a little over it will be ok.

I said keep looking because you first are looking at a boat capable of carrying 4-5 people and is more than capable of towing water skyers. Now you go the opposite way and are considering a much smaller boat with 2 people (they show 3 crunched). I think you can find something closer to your original wants. You also don't mention whether you are using for fresh water or salt. Ed

OK Sarg. Here is my experience and not necessarily what you should do. I had a Subaru Forester (AWD) with a max towing weight of 2,400 lbs I think and a max trailer tongue with of ~ 200 pounds. I towed a 165 Aqua Sport boat with an 88 hp Evenrude. I'm sure the total weight must have been ~ 3,200 lbs with trailer, I towed up to 20 miles to launch many times (all on flat) at legal speeds and never a problem. I just tried to act sensible with acceleration and braking (no trailer brakes). So there you have my experience. Ed

This is considered an unsafe load (an offense under most Highway Traffic Acts) for a light vehicle that has short wheelbase and a max tow capacity of 2,000lbs which includes the mother in law in the back and the case of beer along with full boat fuel tank and whatever weekend toys that you will be carrying, not to mention all the passengers. At minimum get a trailer with surge brakes and a class II hitch. ( electric brakes not recommended) You will also need trailer mirrors as the width of the boat package (8ft 4inch)is larger than your CX5 (6ft, 4 inch) not counting mirrors.. The issue is not if you can tow it, but can you stop it when a kid or some jerk cuts out in front of you? Emergency braking is never planned. The CX5 has a short wheel base and when the winds of a tractor trailer hit you while going the opposite direction it can sway you out of control. Not trying to scare you, just explaining the facts of life.....or death! Oh ya, those P225/55 R19 tires are going to wear very quick as they are for sport handling, not the left to right heavy sway that the trailer will put on them.

Nice boat by the way!

You don't know me and I don't know you. My opinion may mean nothing to you but it comes from many years of boat ownership and thousands of miles towing them with a few different vehicles. I currently own a boat similar to that Tahoe you posted first. Like you, I'm also a father and the safety of my family is one of my primary concerns.

Having said all that, there is absolutely no way in hell I would put my 3 year old daughter, pregnant wife, and the family dog in the CX-5 towing that boat or any of the others. No freaking way. And if my father saw me do that he'd kick my ass. That is why we own a Trailblazer and before that a Dakota. It does not matter that you only live a few blocks from the launch, there is still plenty of opportunity for an accident on those few blocks and eventually you will want to go somewhere else. When you do, your false sense of security will be exposed in a manner that may endanger the lives of your family or mine.

I hate to burst your bubble but you need to re-evaluate this plan. Trade in the CX-5 if you can't afford the boat AND a capable tow vehicle.

Howlin, I understand your point. I told my wife that maybe we will have to let go of the CX-5 for something better to tow a boat. That way we can get the boat we really like, and not have to worry about its size and safety. So, yesterday we were able to find a 2007 Toyota Tundra 5.7ltr for a little over 13k with 70k miles. I just took some cash from my savings and got the truck. But Im not willing to give up the CX5's comfort, fuel economy, and safety ratings.

So now the plan is to wait will February to get the boat we REALLY want (2014 Sea Ray 190 Sport). It was extremely heavy, but now that is not an issue. And I know that the Tundra will be safe and reliable. Especially since the only time it will be used is when Im towing the boat or anything else.

1117.jpg

Finally!!! Ill spend a little more cash, but ill have piece of mind. And the CX will remain in the family. Its a WIN/WIN.

Thanks guys for all of your input. I love this community.

You don't know me and I don't know you. My opinion may mean nothing to you but it comes from many years of boat ownership and thousands of miles towing them with a few different vehicles. I currently own a boat similar to that Tahoe you posted first. Like you, I'm also a father and the safety of my family is one of my primary concerns.

Having said all that, there is absolutely no way in hell I would put my 3 year old daughter, pregnant wife, and the family dog in the CX-5 towing that boat or any of the others. No freaking way. And if my father saw me do that he'd kick my ass. That is why we own a Trailblazer and before that a Dakota. It does not matter that you only live a few blocks from the launch, there is still plenty of opportunity for an accident on those few blocks and eventually you will want to go somewhere else. When you do, your false sense of security will be exposed in a manner that may endanger the lives of your family or mine.

I hate to burst your bubble but you need to re-evaluate this plan. Trade in the CX-5 if you can't afford the boat AND a capable tow vehicle.

Great decision Sarge! Posting your question will help others that are considering towing something that is just to heavy for this awesome vehicle. Way too often the sales reps downplay the towing capacity and don't want to loose a sale. When they are asked to have the owner of the dealership put it in writing, they suddenly become unwilling......This shows where their priorities lay.

Happy safe Boating!

Back