Purchasing car that resides at another dealer

:
2016.5 CX 5 GT
I have been lurking around here for the last week or so when I decided that I wanted to purchase a CX 5. I know exactly what I wand but my local dealer doesn't have one in stock. There is one a couple of hundred miles away though. I know my local dealer can do a trade with the other dealer, but how/will that affect my negotiating for the new car? Never had to do that before. Thanks for you help.

I have been lurking around here for the last week or so when I decided that I wanted to purchase a CX 5. I know exactly what I wand but my local dealer doesn't have one in stock. There is one a couple of hundred miles away though. I know my local dealer can do a trade with the other dealer, but how/will that affect my negotiating for the new car? Never had to do that before. Thanks for you help.

Probably won't affect it since they will probably truck it in so the mileage will still be low. If they drove it then you could maybe have them throw in some nice all weather mats. If you're thinking that you could negotiate a lower price, not likely. Dealers do this all the time.

Why not do an end run around the local dealer and see if you can get a better deal from the guy who has the car? I flew 600 miles to SoCal to get what I wanted when they were in short supply in 2012 and saved a bundle. By the time I got home the engine was broken in and I was good to go.

Why not do an end run around the local dealer and see if you can get a better deal from the guy who has the car? I flew 600 miles to SoCal to get what I wanted when they were in short supply in 2012 and saved a bundle. By the time I got home the engine was broken in and I was good to go.

I agree...

OP if you're only 200 miles away, I'd just got get it myself. The car I wanted was 500 miles away and when I touched base with the local dealer about staying local and purchasing from them, they were outrageously overpriced and giving me the runaround, so I hopped on a train, and there I went. I love trains...make a mini vacay out of it and enjoy the first couple hundred miles on your new CX-5 on the way back...

You beat me to the punch Paris!

A dealer will always bend more to sell something off his own inventory.

Thank you! It's kinda what I thought. I like the idea of a road trip!

Just be sure to hammer out all the details over the phone with whoever is posing as the Internet sales manager before you leave! Have him email you a firm quote.

Just be sure to hammer out all the details over the phone with whoever is posing as the Internet sales manager before you leave! Have him email you a firm quote.
YES! Brilliantly put! Do not want any "surprises"... Done that before! (pissed)

You're all assuming the Op knows who the other dealer is. 200 mile radius could be alot of Mazda dealers. Local dealer probably used one of the dealer tracker systems and found the car. Unless he told the Op who the dealer was it could take alot of time to track the car down.
Further more you're assuming the dealer is being honest. They probably know from experience not to give the customer too much info or they'll start a bidding war.

You're all assuming the Op knows who the other dealer is. 200 mile radius could be alot of Mazda dealers. Local dealer probably used one of the dealer tracker systems and found the car. Unless he told the Op who the dealer was it could take alot of time to track the car down.
Further more you're assuming the dealer is being honest. They probably know from experience not to give the customer too much info or they'll start a bidding war.
It's pretty easy to locate a specific vehicle using online dealer inventory listings or Mazda USA listings, especially in a relatively sparsely populated area such as Oregon. As for the rest, you don't tell the dealer that you're the guy who's been negotiating on his inventory through a dealer 200 miles away. You start the process anew with a simple "I'm on your web site and I'm interested in your inventory #XYZ". Easy-peasy!

I would get the best deal that you can from your local dealer that you can live with. Then confirm that the vehicle will be trucked in with no more than xx miles on the odometer and this must be in writing BEFORE YOU SIGN ANYTHING. The dealer will request a down payment and go for no more than $500 and less if you can, and is refundable if the car is delivered damaged or not what was agreed upon. Much easer to do this at home than at 200 miles from home. Ed

I bought a car like this, except it was only ~120 miles away. I did every thing over the net with email. Get every detail priced out and print the emails before you go there. Take all your printouts in a nice folder when you go, get organized, it will help

I agree...

OP if you're only 200 miles away, I'd just got get it myself. The car I wanted was 500 miles away and when I touched base with the local dealer about staying local and purchasing from them, they were outrageously overpriced and giving me the runaround, so I hopped on a train, and there I went. I love trains...make a mini vacay out of it and enjoy the first couple hundred miles on your new CX-5 on the way back...

Good story, Nelson.

I was getting the run-around from my local dealers too, I had an upcoming trip through the state next door and got a great online quote from a dealer. I dropped in, he handed me the keys and let me and my wife test drive it - no BS, no paperwork. Price was right, they took my out-of-state personal check (again, no BS), and we're good to go. Very old-school and the way it should be.

Well... It's done! Drove the 200 miles worked withone of the internet managers and came to an agreement. Drove away Sunday and was a happy camper. Love the car driving back home. As it is virtually all freeway not really any chance of playing with the car. I'll be doing that soon. Did love the adaptive cruise so much easier on a boring drive.

In tomorrow to get paint film installed on front.

I'm sure I will have questions so will be asking them as time goes on. Again thanks for the advice

Question for those that have purchased from non-local dealers, do you go to your local dealer for TSBs and other maintenance?

Question for those that have purchased from non-local dealers, do you go to your local dealer for TSBs and other maintenance?
Absolutely. Part of why Mazda (or any other manufacturer) grants a franchise to a dealer is to provide a service point to serve a geographic area. Point of purchase has no bearing on service/warranty work. Reimbursement for the dealer all comes out of the same corporate pot.

Last edited:
Back