Pros and cons of the CX-5

Timing belts are bad, mkay! 110% agreement!!!!

I remember going back into a MOPAR garage and seeing tons of mangled heads/valves from PT Cruisers because people ignored the timing belt service interval due to the cost/convenience of it. Ouch. I'm not sure which motors you listed are/are not interference motors, though.

A timing belt is literally a deal-breaker for me. I have never, and will never knowingly own a vehicle with one.

A timing belt and CVT is a deal breaker for me as well. I almost bought a CR-V until a saw that the '15 model came with a CVT. Also heard they had vibration and AWD issues. Never even went back to the dealer. My wife bought a CX-5 Touring and likes it a lot. Was not sure about getting a second CX-5 but after doing my research I went straight to the Mazda dealer and worked out a great deal on a '15 CX-5 AWD GT.

6. Electric parking brake I hope mine isn't. The 2015's aren't, right?
Electric parking brake is offered on CV-5 starting from 2016. I wasn't thrilled until I started to use it. Now I like it a lot! Just to make sure the battery is not dead..... (boom05)

2. Color selection and coordination are poor, especially interior I'm a fan of black. If you're not...ouch.
I wish Mazda offers gray interior with different shade of gray on dash board, door panels, seat belts, and carpet like everybody else. Even for parchment interior everything else I mentioned are still black which makes CX-5 interior look cheap and uncoordinated. Black may be the best interior color for CX-5. But it is getting too hot in Texas with 100F almost everyday in summer!

... I'm not sure which motors you listed are/are not interference motors, though.
Every gasoline engines nowadays is interference engine hence no more timing belt. Honda, are you listening?

we love our 16' CX-5, about 1.5 month in and drove about 1500km so far.

The only two flaws that stands out the most:

navigation - about 3 out of 10 times you won't be able to get a signal (in both city and country)
which is very annoying. Also, would love it more if there's a live traffic integration, hard to imagine why after they done all the fantastic works on the new HMI interface and just call it a day not adding this much needed feature, hope it'll be available in the next update.

Wind noise - Highway driving wasn't bad, but sometimes I did felt like my door wasn't closed properly. Toyota I drove previously didn't have that much noise so it really stands out when we got into this car the first time.

Overall, If you're like me who's been researching for an small-mid size SUV for the past three months. All I can say is get this ( or a Tiguan if you just have to drive a german car :p)
At the moment I think CX-5 hands down the best option there in this price range.

Cheers.

Mazda CX-5
4. No rear AC vents
Uh oh. That could be a deal breaker there. Didn't know about that.
Don't be. Unfortunately there is no prefect car or CUV's for $30K. Many CUV's at this price range don't have these. Use this as a negotiation tool instead to get a better price. And just tell your kids to stay put while turning your A/C at full blast with front center vents aiming to the rear! (whistle)

Now that VR and Nav is working properly...I AM HAVING FUN NOW!

I agree with most of your points, but have found the voice command on the nav system quite useful once you understand its dumb rules. Had to laugh after a week of frustration that using the abbreviation "BC" for British Columbia (common usage in Canada) found addresses in Quebec, a French language province 2500 miles East of BC. Once I started using "British Columbia" instead of "BC", voice nav has worked fine 90% of the time.

Now that the VR /NV system is working as it was meant to, I find that I am ONCE AGAIN...HAVING FUN!

Here is a Utube video that summed up my frustrations with VR! I posted it here a few months ago)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmWRhhvf60Y

I owned a 2013 Subaru Outback, that overall was a really good vehicle, with a completely frustrating VR system (It was a LTD model with the Upgraded HK setup..TERRIBLE> I actually responded to my Subaru Salesman's phone call, since he had accurately
predicted the time frame that I would probably be in the market for a new Auto.

Surprisingly, he offered me a decent deal (SUBIES ARE VERY TOUGH TO BUY HERE), but I informed him that I would carefully be looking at the NEW infotainment system, not for novelty, but for a real need. He was dumbfounded when I returned the keys to the test 2015 OB to him and said the VR killed the sale. We chatted for a few (he knew me well enough to know I would not be changing my mind.) and I mentioned that I would never be spending 30K+ for a Vehicle where the systems were faulty by design.

FF 2 weeks later when I drove down to the Mazda dealer, to try out the 2015 CX-5 GT. This is a good sized dealer (for N. Nevada)that also carried KIA..The salesman asked me a few questions before we both decided that the CX-5 was the vehicle I should try. Was not interested in the other offerings from either line. I did take the opportunity to test out the Voice Recognition in the Sportage for a point of reference.

My choices were limited to:
AWD (when it snows, it is Heavy Duty ie: Sierra Nevada Mtns.
$$$ (the "deal")
comfortable - Storage space for my stuff
Color combos/ Looks in general
decent performance and drivability (GASP..FUN!!)
heated front seats (pkgs dictate LTD/GT trims)
Homelink
"Gut FeeL" about the vehicle, manufacturer/Dealer that understood their customer's needs.

Did not want a Nav system BUT I did want the HIDs, heated seats, and a new (to me anyway) blind spot detection, and "Smart City Breaking" pkg.

I was simply shocked and blown away by the CX-5, and did not expect any lower priced SUV (HA...30K = "lower"?) to perform as well as the Mazda offering did. I did spot a Miata GT hiding in the rear lot :)
I am not a young guy and never expected to ever have fun in a new vehicle again...(with all the Regulations etc.)! Damn, how did they do that? (still providing an IN DEPTH, decent performing VR system to boot). Through the years, I managed to own Triumph TR-4a, Porsche 911 SC, a Supercharged Mini Cooper, that spoiled me rotten...BUT the times were a changin...

You could always utilize an OBD app on your phone to get temp stats. Not sure on oil pressure... I haven't connected my OBD readers to the CX. I was going to see what data I can pull in the next few days. Many apps let you create your own gauge sets.

Sorry.. taking the thread to the side.. I'll stop after this post.

Looks like blue temp light goes off at 130 degrees Farenheit. I never saw it go above 190 in 72 degree weather today.

IMG_4921.png

Using this app on IOS.

with a ELM327 Wifi Model.

wifi-elm327-wireless-obd2-auto-scanner-adapter-scan-1.jpg

There is a web server running on dongle so you probably want to go in and lock down the Wifi security. Lots of options to change if needed. I notice telnet port was open as well. I didn't try to log into it. The OBD program runs on port 35000 but you can change that as well.

Hey guys, I'm new here and don't own a cx-5 yet but I'm considering training in my honda ridgeline in for one. The one issue I had in the new 2016's in the center armrest! Does anyone else think the new design is poorly engineered and uncomfortable or am I the only one. It seems that there was more than enough room to add cup holders, the informant knob and put the electric e-brake button anywhere since it is only a switch and not a mechanical link to anything?

Uh oh. That could be a deal breaker there. Didn't know about that.

You should go test drive one. You won't really know if it is a contender until you are sitting in it and driving it up hills, excelerating onto a highway, etc. and check out the tech for yourself. I am still figuring out some of the tech aspects of the vehicle (the voice recognition so far is leaving something to be desired) but on the whole I really like the vehicle. I did find traffic updates, but they update to a different screen.

For some reason, it hadn't really occured to me...

There really should be a third option for interior color. I love the Almond interior. But, it is an impractical choice for many auto buyers. And the only other choice is...black. Yawn.

It would indeed be nice to see gray or perhaps something more of a darker beige/taupe. Or any combination of these.

Literally every car I've ever owned has had black interior. I'm getting a little burned out on it, honestly. The one exception is the green plaid and white vinyl in my 72 C-10. :D

2015 Sport owner here. This car needs a real FM antenna. My Mazda5 had a whip and reception was great. The CX-5 is not good with my local NPR/college radio stations.
Plus for me is USB playback for music. Love it. Old guy loving this new technology.

2015 Sport owner here. This car needs a real FM antenna. My Mazda5 had a whip and reception was great. The CX-5 is not good with my local NPR/college radio stations.
Plus for me is USB playback for music. Love it. Old guy loving this new technology.

I wonder if that is an issue with the radio used in Sport Models? My stations almost always stay in HD mode.

I wonder if that is an issue with the radio used in Sport Models? My stations almost always stay in HD mode.

I live in the bay area, and there are a few locations where HD is lost more than 5 times in a minute, and it makes the station sound really weird, going from HD to regular radio back to HD. I have a 2015 GT with tech and am assuming it is the geography in the bay area that causes this?

there are a few locations where HD is lost more than 5 times in a minute, and it makes the station sound really weird, going from HD to regular radio back to HD.

I experience this as well. I hardly listen to the radio anymore, but whenever I do, it's consistently going in and out from HD.

Granted I am normally on Pandora or playing from iTunes library so I may have an issue I don't realize. Radio was the fallback when things didn't work with the old BT module.

I tested my 2014 Mazda CX5 FWD Touring with a Gtech and got consistent 0 to 60 times of 7.5 seconds in both directions. When I had my 2013 CX5 Sport 2.0 FWD automatic I got 0 to 60 times ranging from 8.37 - 8.6 seconds. The CX5 is absolutely as quick as the commentators are saying it is. I personally think this is the best power-train you can buy for this price range.

Pro's:

1. Torque rich engine (among 4-cylinders anyway) and responsive drive train.
  2. Automatic transmission with wet clutch pack and direct feel.
  3. Transmission shifting algorithm is really good as its always in the right gear and easy to control with my right foot.
  4. Great body control from the suspension.
  5. great exterior looks.
  6. I always look forward to driving this SUV and this is an SUV!
  7. Good fitting seats and driving position.
  8. Operating costs overall are very low.
  9. Another very reliable vehicle from Mazda (87,000 miles driven now in Skyactiv vehicles since 2012).
  10. Brakes have a fantastic feel to them.
  11. 0-60 time is class leading yet fuel economy is also class leading (Skyactiv really works).
  12. Push to downshift and pull to up-shift manual shifting gate is now very intuitive and a smart move by Mazda. I love this feature.

Con's:

1. class leading road and wind noise. (hear ya)
  2. Some buzzing plastic has appeared and was fixed.
  3. Sub standard speakers and radio.
  4. Brakes need more maintenance/attention than typical or they'll rust more than usual in salty climates. I service my own brakes so this is why I notice.

Last edited:
I swear I can feel cool air coming out of the rear vents under the seats.
These are heater vents under the front seats which come with most of cars. There is no AC vents normally located at the rear end of center console. Go take a look of Mazda6 and you'll realize what are the rear AC vents.

Back