problems with neutral

iLisa

Contributor
:
the best wagon evAr..
I was driving my car and took it out of gear... and something is wrong with my neutral. It won't "wiggle" back and forth...
it goes into gear, I can change gears while driving, no problems with anything other than neutral. I can push it side to side, but if I push it to the left, it wants to stay there and not go back to the middle like it used to. I have the B&M ss and kartboy bushings.. I'm hoping it just needs re-lubed.. anyone have any suggestions?

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. I know mine is easier to push to the right than to the left. I've never lubed anything in there though, I'll try to think of something it could be though.

Yeah, sounds like it needs to be relubed. Just use some heavy grease... I would even try taking off the boot and putting it on through the top while moving the shifter around to save dealing with that wretched spring clip. Just don't try any of that sillicone spray type lube -- it just made mine worse until I broke down and put some old school grease down there

toucci said:
Yeah, sounds like it needs to be relubed. Just use some heavy grease... I would even try taking off the boot and putting it on through the top while moving the shifter around to save dealing with that wretched spring clip. Just don't try any of that sillicone spray type lube -- it just made mine worse until I broke down and put some old school grease down there
ok.. i'll take off the boot and put some grease in there.. we'll see what happens..

your shifter has expanded due to the exhaust heat... its normal on a fairly new B&M.. nothing you do will fix it other than time.... you just have to break it in

as I said before, the B&M uses a brozoil bushing, so everything in the shifter is metal.... and you know what happens when metal heats up

mine used to do it all the time after an hour of driving in the summer, it doesn't really do it anymore.. its been 4 years since I got my B&M.... so you're just going to have to wait!

TheMAN said:
your shifter has expanded due to the exhaust heat... its normal on a fairly new B&M.. nothing you do will fix it other than time.... you just have to break it in

as I said before, the B&M uses a brozoil bushing, so everything in the shifter is metal.... and you know what happens when metal heats up

mine used to do it all the time after an hour of driving in the summer, it doesn't really do it anymore.. its been 4 years since I got my B&M.... so you're just going to have to wait!

thing is.. my B&M is not new.. it has been on my car for a few years...

Yea...I second the heat thing. I've had mine for about 4 years and it still gets stiff in the summer. Someday I'll get around to ordering the Kartboy. I've heard they are a little better, but still not perfect.

ok.. so I went out yesterday evening to clean the inside of the windshield, I tested the shifter in neutral, it is like nothing was wrong..
I have total "wiggle" room in neutral again.

cold when I rechecked it.. I just think it is strange because it has been in the car since 6/2004 (when the car had only 19k on it).. over 2 years later (and now 45k on it) and never has it acted up. I'm sure it has been 'hot' before right?

I think that regular grease is not the best idea, as there is a plastic bushing in the bottom of the shifter. I thought my B&M shifter came with lithium grease to use.

mine is starting to squeak... 1st-squeak-squeak-2nd-squeak-squeak-3rd....

i think it just needs some lube, too

oh yeah, i have the 1st gen TWM shifter.

Last edited:
I've had my B&M in my car since late 03 and it still has some issues in the Texas heat, its just a characteristic of the shifter and never really goes away for good.

twm shifter here, over two years (and over 50k miles) with no lube at all :p

At the time, I didn't have a large repertoire of tools and such so I just said "ah screw it" and figured it would be ok with whatever lube was left from the original shifter. So far she's been ok. I may lube it eventually :p

Rogue said:
mine is starting to squeak... 1st-squeak-squeak-2nd-squeak-squeak-3rd....

i think it just needs some lube, too

oh yeah, i have the 1st gen TWM shifter.
hey my automatic squeaks when it downshifts sometimes! lol.....go figure?

(dunno)crap crap crap.. it started again this evening after about 20 min of driving. Neutral is "sticking" left to right.. and now it is making a low pitched kinda noise (almost rubbing like?)(argh)

(sad2)

Back