Seeking guidance with two issues for Protege5

Hello,

I have had some problems my protege5 recently and I wanted to see if anyone can help me with the issue.

1st problem

While driving there is a weird noise coming from the passengers side in the engine bay. When I accelerate for the first 3ish seconds you can hear a noise, I’m guessing it’s the timing belt or whatever is associated with it. You can only hear the noise for about 3-4 seconds in a gear, and then when the next gear picks up it does the same sound. I’m not really sure what to change. Any help?

2nd problem
I recently added coilovers to my car and there is a clunking sound coming from the rear. I believe that it is the rear strut mounts since I haven’t changed those when I added the coilovers. It sounds like a constant clunk every time I go over little cracks on the road and it’s driving me crazy. I’m not sure where I can get the rear strut mounts or what the parts number is. Any help?

I just want my car to run better : (

1st issue could be any number of issues. My guess would be engine knocking. If the knock sensor has failed, or the fuel is bad quality, the engine will mostly knock on engine load (1st gear).

2nd issue could be rear sway bar links. Did you lower the car and re-use the factory links? You need shorter, or better yet, adjustable links to bring the sway bar level with the road surface when the car is off the jacks.

1st issue could be any number of issues. My guess would be engine knocking. If the knock sensor has failed, or the fuel is bad quality, the engine will mostly knock on engine load (1st gear).

2nd issue could be rear sway bar links. Did you lower the car and re-use the factory links? You need shorter, or better yet, adjustable links to bring the sway bar level with the road surface when the car is off the jacks.

I did replace the rear sway bar links. At first I thought the sound came from my trunk cover but I removed that and took the spare tire out and it still made the sound. I’m not sure what it is.

Thank you for the response!

hopping in on this. would throw a check engine light if the sensor failed? i have a clunking too

hopping in on this. would throw a check engine light if the sensor failed? i have a clunking too

Not necessarily.
The knock sensors on our car get old and the gell that supports the accelerometer turns to a gooey liquid and oozes out of sensor.
(It's been mistaken for a leaking oil pressure sensor)
That can throw the sensor out of spec without throwing a code.
It may not register a knock when a noticeable knock is present or register a knock that isn't there forcing the ECU to compensate for it, which reduces performance and fuel economy.

I've never noticed engine knock though my sensor is mostly gell free now.
I do however have lots of rattles, squeaks and noises though.
I just turn up the stereo and ignore it.
If it's louder than my stereo, then I'll look into it. lol

While driving there is a weird noise coming from the passengers side in the engine bay. When I accelerate for the first 3ish seconds you can hear a noise,..

I had a rattle that only happened at low RPMS.
It turned out to be one of the heat shields vibrating.
It was more of a tinny sound, not a clunky sound.

If you could get a sound clip for us to listen to, that would help us to diagnose it.

I recently added coilovers to my car and there is a clunking sound coming from the rear. I believe that it is the rear strut mounts since I haven’t changed those when I added the coilovers. It sounds like a constant clunk every time I go over little cracks on the road and it’s driving me crazy.

I had a bit of a clunk in the rear as well.
It turned out to be my strut mounts.

They still looked good but they were getting a little noisy. Lol

IMG-20160503-132759-zpsideubzpt.jpg
IMG-20160505-124423-zpsgobtxztu-1.jpg

I’m not sure where I can get the rear strut mounts or what the parts number is. Any help?

Rockauto.com has lots of choices to pick from,..

Screenshot_20230104-055603_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Rockauto.com is pretty good with having their parts fit.
Quality and brand names are a matter of opinion.
OEM replacement parts are really expensive.

I was going to mention that RockAuto has a Monroe rear-right strut mount on closeout, but PCB's screenshot beat me to it. $14USD; only one remaining. If you need other items (e.g. windshield wipers!) then you can make it worth the cost of shipping and installing just the one mount to see if it helps. I replaced my rear-right as I am getting clunks going over small road imperfections with my original strut mounts + six year old KYB struts. It didn't seem to help, so I'm replacing the rear struts themselves and rubber spring seats next.

Yep, we'd need decent-quality sound/video to help with the other symptom.

I was going to mention that RockAuto has a Monroe rear-right strut mount on closeout, but PCB's screenshot beat me to it. $14USD; only one remaining. If you need other items (e.g. windshield wipers!) then you can make it worth the cost of shipping and installing just the one mount to see if it helps.

Things to consider adding to your order to make the shipping worth it,..

Light bulbs (signal, marker, reverse, tail, etc as well as a couple dozen headlight bulbs. lol) oil filter (the longer one), air filter, PCV valve, spark plugs (NGK copper V-groove), fuses,..

I had a bit of a clunk in the rear as well.
It turned out to be my strut mounts.

They still looked good but they were getting a little noisy. Lol

View attachment 314891View attachment 314892

Rockauto.com has lots of choices to pick from,..

View attachment 314893

Rockauto.com is pretty good with having their parts fit.
Quality and brand names are a matter of opinion.
OEM replacement parts are really expensive.
Thank you so much, I found the pieces and got them installed so that got rid of my rear coilover clunking.

Back