Problem with brake pad shims contact rotor!

gothmobile

:
2002 mp5
Ok, when i put on my new Hawk Hps pads, i had no problem until 5 km in, while turning right the top brake shim slides over and contacts the rotor. After trying to get it to stay in place by tightening up the nubs at each end of the shim, the nubs ended up breaking off so i bought new shims. With the wheel off and the rotor held in place with a lug nut, there is plenty of room between the shim and the rotor on both sides of the rotor but when it comes to driving, when i turn right, the shim shifts over and hits the rotor. I installed the new shims and they did exactly the same thing. This has happened only on the front drivers side and has scored two lines into the brand new rotor at a different place for the old and new shim.

edit: also, when i changed the front pads, the drivers side had the m-clips while the passengers side did not. I put the m-clips on the drivers side and left the passenger side without. Could it be the m-clips?

It must be the new pads not fitting correctly, but they work soo great, even with the rubbing! doh

thanks in advance for any help :)

Alex

Last edited:
i had the exact same problem ...

1. yes you need the clips
i took a dremel and trimed the shims a bit ... then i found the break sensors (the little tabs that tell you when your breaks are about toast) were rubbing on the shim and pushing it in ... so i cut them off all together ... has been working fine for now ...however my rotors have 2 nice marks in them

Back