Clicking/knocking noise after rotor and brake pad change

Hello!

Amateur mechanic hour for a 2003 p5

I recently replaced the front brake pads and rotors and noticed a click/knocking/banging sound when I apply the brakes aggressively. The sound follows the rotation of the right tire. I pulled over to check and I can see light smoke/burning smell out of the left tire and just the smell on the right.

I took double check the rotors and the brake pads and everything seems ok during inspection. What am I doing wrong?

Am I torquing the bolts down incorrectly?

Thank you very much in advance

I followed these instructions: https://www.thinkythings.org/p5/brakes.html

Purchased the rotor and brake pad set from rockauto.

Video and pictures below. Thank you.

Last edited:
Hmmm something isn't quite right if you're seeing smoke!

Did you give the disks a good clean with brake cleaner on both sides before installing? That might explain the burning smell if not

There's some little tabs on the pads that have to go a certain way and are very easy to put in backwards (I did it!) which might be causing the clicking noise but it's doubtful

The dust shields are easy to bend too so there's another item to check
If the brakes look good, check the CV boots for tears and the wheel bearings for any noises

I'd stick the car up on stands and rotate the wheel by hand to see if you can hear or spot what's going on, brakes are something you need to have working 100%!

Will report back with my findings.

Another thing that I"m thinking is maybe I didn't grease the bolts enough and it's 'sticking'.

Thank you for the tip!

One thing to make sure of is that the clips are placed correctly. If you had to force them at all, they might be backwards.
This:
Panda's how-to said:
As near as I can tell, these are springs that force the pads apart when you've lifted your foot from the brake pedal. Like the guide clips, I believe you get new ones if you buy the pad kit from Mazda, but Hawk does not supply them.

You are referring to the wire clips that forces the pads apart correct? Then Yes I reused the ones that was still on the car. I only replaced what the kit gave me.

Speaking of those metal clips that goes between the brake pads and the caliper, Should I used the one bracket clips instead of the new ones from that came with the clip

I replaced my wire clips as well as the clips between the caliper and pads when I did my brakes.
My old spring clips were all rusty and had no spring tension left.

I don't remember if they came with the pads and rotors or if I bought the additional hardware kit?

The new springs kept flinging the pads off, I had to keep it together with the c-clamp until I was ready to close it up.

I'm pretty sure that all P5's have type A brakes.
Don't forget to put a dab of grease on the Guide Plate.

You have to be really careful to not get any grease on the pad or rotor.
Just use a tiny bit and wipe off any clumps.

The guide plates are spring-loaded as well to help keep the pads from rattling around.
Maybe they are binding a bit causing the pads to drag and not release properly.

Last edited:
Do you hear anything when you're not pressing the brakes?
I do not hear anything when the brakes are not engaged

Also I want to thank everyone for being so supportive. I am grateful that everyone is taking the time to share their experience and insight.

Thank you.

Reactions: pcb
Did you give the disks a good clean with brake cleaner on both sides before installing? That might explain the burning smell if not...

You may have had a dab of grease drop onto your rotor during installation. (I've done it before. My slider pin boots were stuffed with grease and some oozed out and dropped onto the rotor).

The grease may not spread evenly on the rotor then the pads hit it with a clunk.

Make sure your axle hub is clean so that the rotor mounts flush. If it's a bit off, it will have a wobble to it. Same with the mating surface of the wheel.

I remember having to grind out a dent/gouge on the surface on one of my hubs to make it flush.

Make sure your axle hub is clean so that the rotor mounts flush. If it's a bit off, it will have a wobble to it. Same with the mating surface of the wheel.

I remember having to grind out a dent/gouge on the surface on one of my hubs to make it flush.

I have been using just a wire brush and brush off as much of it off as possible. I will send some photos tomorrow to show you guys what i am currently working with.

I probably dented my hub when I was trying to remove my axle with a sledgehammer.
I missed a few times and must have hit the hub.

Good morning and happy labor day weekend everybody.

I don't know why I didn't do this sooner, but here is the video of sound in question. The noise happens when I apply the brakes aggressively, once i hear it, the noise doesn't go away. The video is taken on the first drive of the day, it took several attempts of aggressive braking before the sound started to appear.

I am using "Permatex silicon ceramic extreme brake parts lubricant" for brake pad lubricant

20200906_102546[1].jpg

Attachments

• 20200906_103847[1].jpg
    20200906_103847[1].jpg
    217 KB · Views: 265
  • 20200906_103814[1].jpg
    20200906_103814[1].jpg
    292.8 KB · Views: 277
  • 20200906_103847[1].jpg
    20200906_103847[1].jpg
    217 KB · Views: 242
  • 20200906_105035[1].jpg
    20200906_105035[1].jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 235
  • 20200906_103919[1].jpg
    20200906_103919[1].jpg
    166 KB · Views: 238
Last edited:
Part of me is wondering if the
"Permatex silicon ceramic extreme brake parts lubricant" for brake pad lubricant
shouldn't be used on the two bolts holding the bracket together.

When the brakes are applied, the bolts are sliding freely which results in uneven pressure of the brake pads to the rotor causing the sound?

notice on the second picture ending in 3487 there is a fresh scrape mark on top of the bracket.

Shouldn't the front disks be much thicker and vented? (see PCB's Post)

It looks like the disk isn't sitting square with the hub or brake caliper, maybe check to see if the disk is warped or if there's any gunk on the hub that's not letting it sit right

The bolts are meant to be greased and the caliper should slide freely back and forth but not wobble around, if it's doing that then the caliper is probably junk.

Chasing brake sounds is fun! it'll be worth it when it's all working nicely though

^^^^What LankyKiwi said!!

That caliper looks really wrong.
I think you've got the wrong rotor and it's completely cockeyed.
The pads are supposed to be flush with the rotor.
Being off by a couple of thousands of an inch is bad.
You're off by almost an inch.

Actually, you don't have your lug nuts on so the rotor may have "fallen".

If you've got the long lug nuts, you can screw them on to snug up the rotor.

Back