$$$ PRICE of MazdaSpeed Protege $$$

considdering what the dealers did with our mp3's i wouldnt be supprised to see the mazdaspeed protege to sell for over 26 g's. personally they should make more than 2000 but its mazdas money... and only 170 hp... im gonna have more than that once i start gettiing all my stuff for my car and i am going to keep it NA....it would have been so much cheaper for them to put the FSZE into it and add a little more to that engine....

It would have been cheaper for Mazda, but it's more fun for us with a turbo. You'll see more from the mods on the Turbo'd motor, than you would on the FS-ZE.

Mazdaspeed under $22,000?

It's very difficult to believe that the Mazdaspeed can be priced under $22,000 with what they spec'ed it. The turbo, LSD, better clutch and pressure plate, more powerful disc brakes, "close-ratio" 5-speed gearbox, 450-watt system, with what... 6 or 8 speakers? Is the amplifier seperate or built-in to the sub? More expensive tires (Bridgstone Potenza 215/45ZR 17) and probably better quality (aka lighter) wheels.... Sparco knob, pedals and whatever else... The official site claims to price under $25K instead of under $22K.

I personally believe it'll be higher than $22K (has to be...), but under $25K... barely.... I'll assume at the moment that you won't be able to walk out with under $25K unless you pay cash for the total price. With only 2000 being built, I bet the mark-up price will be hellacious... this will be a wanted vehicle for sure. MP3s went out quick and EVERYONE knew it wasn't powerful enough. Overall, I probably won't really regret getting the MP3... especially if I can upgrade most of the stuff through the dealer. :D

Either way I'm not happy unless they offer all the parts Mazdaspeed will have stock for the Mazda MP3. I'm already not happy to see the upgraded KDC-MP919 MegaMotion that can provide high-res visuals... not only can it self-HIDE the faceplate, but the faceplate can ALSO be totally removed.

Only thing I'm not particularly fond of is with the choice of exterior color. Isn't it black and orange? Err, orange is not my flavor and I prefer avoiding having to drive a black vehicle... especially here in hot weathered Texas.

I don't agree, I think it will under 22K. Remember, it is an upgrade of the MP3, so those goodies is not add on top of the price, it just replaced what we have with the differences. If it is selling at 25K, will you bother with the protg? Or get the WRX, or perhaps the 20K turbocharged Neon.

The turbo neon 0-60 5.9 $19995
The sentra se-r 0-60 ~7.5 $19500
The Civic SI 0-60 7.5 $19440
the Mazdaspeed 0-60 ~7(albeit an amazing stereo to boot) $22k

I know 0-60 isn't all that matters, but its how cars get marketed.
And the success of Mazdaspeed isn't going to be about whether or not Mazda can build a good performing car. We already know they can do that. Its going to be about MARKETING.

The car will be $20k and they will lose money again, otherwise people won't buy it.

At 22, you have to make it compete in the next class up...
the rsx( also 22500) and the wrx (can now be had for 22500 http://www.imba.com/tcc/subaru.html ).

And they will not win in that class, no matter what Calloway says. Not because of performance, but b/c of the public's image of the protege. We don't think of the protege as a "classy" or "upscale" car so marketing it as a competitor to those cars is going to be a serious uphill battle.

I know already posted this in rumors, but that forum is dead now that the mazdaspeed pro is a reality.

What are your thoughts on this?

"You must be a member of IMBA for 6 months before you qualify for the VIP Partners Program....the final decision of which models are available is left to individual dealer discretion. "

Seems like a good way to get a WRX at invoice IF the dealer participates <good luck>.

The RSX type S lists for $23,170 and has less torque. The WRX lists for $23,995 (according to cars.com). It's already been stated that the MS Pro will be UNDER $22K.

Compare the MS Pro to the turbo neon, 1.8T Jetta, etc and the MS Pro WILL win this class. Mazda will have no problem selling 2000 of these cars.

You probably won't find a better handling new car under $22K.

#1 eeterp, both of those cars list for xxxx amount, but do you know what? They're not selling for list. I have friend who lives in Houston can walk off the lot with a WRX for 23 even,though he's not sure if that's what he wants. See a lot of RSX's on the street? Its b/c they aren't selling. Very few cars are selling for list in the current market.

#2 We all know that the Pro is going to sell for list if we're lucky. If we're unlucky the dealer is going to tack on 3k like fu*ks at Diamond Mazda in Baton Rouge.

#3 I'm not discussing torque, I don't care. Though if you want to quote numbers, the RSX S depending on the source quoting the performance will do 0-60 in ~6.5s. That's pretty freakin fast! I was refering to its marketability in my post. A totally different thing.

#4 I guarantee somebody from Mazda is reading this site.

#5 eeterp, as long as people continue to defend that pricing then Mazda will think they are justified charging that much. But I guess if its that much I just won't buy it.

I can't let it rest...

supply and demand.
there will be a big demand for these cars when they come out so i would thinkk 25-26,000
no deals. no word on sunroofs or options of lether?

You're kidding yourself right?

Lets say its 26, like you suggest.

Here will be the delimma(thinking in my head at the dealership: "...hmmmmmmm Do I want a Mazda Protege or a 350Z? I'll only pay about $50 more per month. Its such a difficult decision")

The RSX blows ass that car is way too Small its basicly a mini. I hate that the thing, The real competition for the new Protege will be the WRX and probably the tuned down lanzer, depending on mits. THe advantage of the protege over the WRX is simply handling we can easily smack up a WRX coming out of the coners. Not to mention I believe we have a serious weight advantage.The problem with the new Protege will be the ******* Orange color:mad: .

You people must be brainwashed by the air in your mp3.

A competitor to the Lancer? The lancer has a 0-60 of 5.0 and the rally performances to back it up. If it sells for well under 30k, then maybe 26.

This car is in a class all by itself (ie cheap interior, outrageous performance).

I'm not talking about the fullEvo version I am refering to a scaled down version likely to be offered in the states can't just have a 280hp version

BTW, about your tagline...(friends dont let friends buy sony)

SAWM40 tweaked with polyfill. That's all i've got to say.

About the Pro. I'm not trying to be a butt. I think you guys are just blowing it way out of proportion.

Mazda officials have already stated themselves that they want it to compete with the Si. If they want to start in this market, they need to live up to their words and price accordingly.

I don't care how much you think its worth. Its how Mazda targets its demographic and hence the cars it will compete against that will determine its price.

Last edited:
kcagle,

well, I respect that you don't like the anticipated less than $22K price but, I promise you that 2000 others won't share your opinion. These cars are going to sell and sell fast (depending on dealer markup). Honestly, if you add that system, turbo, clutch, pressure plate, breaks, intercooler, improved suspension, improved breaks to an MP3 you will have spent well over $24K. So, Mazda is acutally giving the consumer a good deal (based on projected pricing).

Bottom line, this car will sell.

Why not compare the WRX to the BMW 330xi? Both have similar power and AWD. The WRX crushes the BMW in about every acceleration and handling test AND costs about $12,000 less, but does BMW care? NO. Why? Because they've got people sitting on 4 month waiting lists to pick up their 330xi.

I think we should be thanking mazda for answering our prayers for more power.

If you don't like the "spicy orange" the MS Pro comes in "mica black" as well.

On another board, one guy claims he went to the NY show and the rep told him they are shooting for under 21k.

I called my local dealer who got briefed at a dealer convention in Feb on the pro and he verified that Mazda told him definitely under 21 and possibly 20 even.

That is awesome news!

Spicy orange is my color of choice. Why buy a limited ed if no one notices you?

Getting back to the EVO:

Mitsubishi already said the EVO was going to be at least 250 HP...
Why do you think Subaru is bringing out the WRX STi ???

The EVO is gonna kick major @$$
I can hardly wait....

Oh yeah, the new MAZDASPEED Protege is pretty sweet! Hopefully someone will get a custom wastegate (*cough* spoolin *cough*) to boost it up even higher and let that bad boy loose

the a EVO7 is unbelieveably SICK!!!!!!!!!!!.....i saw it last night at the NYIAS...the us spec is goin to like 260hp..needs a bigger intercooler and that is all..the entire car is amazing...i am sooo mad that i cannot afford it right now....the mazdaspeed pro is hot but NOT in orange ...the black car is absolutely BEAUTIFUL..i am trading my mp3 in when it comes out...most definatley...LSD..sunroof...abs....no vented rotors by the way...clear side markers....hot ass shift knob...hot pedels...the seats are much hotter...the system is alot more powerful....the car definatly has a lot on the MP3...i think i like the wheels better too...it had the same exhaust as the mP3..

Back