Post CX-5 Reviews...

Here is a long term review by Car and Driver.
Note by they end of their review they talk about the hood shaking repair done under warranty by Mazda.
They also talk about the 9.2 sec 0-60mph time as being really slow, but on another review they clock the new Escape 1.6 ecoboost at 8.9 sec.
What bother me is that for they Escape they dont say it's slow but adequate for the segment.
We all know that off the line our CX5 feels a bit slugish but in most conditions it's more than adequate IMO.
If i want a more spirited take off i just switch to manual mode and it does the trick.

Car and driver long term test

Last edited:
Here is a long term review by Car and Driver.
Note by they end of their review they talk about the hood shaking repair done under warranty by Mazda.
They also talk about the 9.2 sec 0-60mph time as being really slow, but on another review they clock the new Escape 1.6 ecoboost at 8.9 sec.
What bother me is that for they Escape they dont say it's slow but adequate for the segment.
We all know that off the line our CX5 feels a bit slugish but in most conditions it's more than adequate IMO.
If i want a more spirited take off i just switch to manual mode and it does the trick.

Car and driver long term test
While there are certainly instances where the CX-5 engine seems "asleep" (generally under light throttle application after the transmission has gotten into third or fourth gear some would argue "too quickly", I would never characterize it as being "sluggish off the line". In fact, sometimes I wish the torque converter that operates up until 5 mph was a little less aggressive and find that it's easier to start off from a dead stop by taking my foot off the brake and letting it roll a few feet at engine idle speed before I get on the gas. Otherwise, it's easy to make the car lurch off the line.

From a stand still it's ok but when i slow down at a stop sign, if i dont stop completely it stay's in second gear and then you have to smash they accelerator for it to get in first gear or it just slowly accelerate in second until it pick's up some RPM.
But hey, that's just the way i see it, im not complaining at all, just commenting.
I knew exactly what i was getting when i bought my CX5 9 month's ago, it's even better now then when i got it so im really happy about it.

Man, mine is NOT slow off the line nor from a rolling start. I don't "smash" the accelerator either, I just press it all the way down. That's what it's there for. If you want a fast start, don't pussy-foot around, tell the car you want to go fast. C'mon people, it's not difficult, it's just different from cars that put all the power in the first half of the pedal movement. This took me all of three minutes to learn.

Three days ago I pulled up to a stop sign controlling access to a 55 mph hwy. Traffic was going 60 mph. The intersection I was at had a steep uphill transition to the highway that was also off-camber and the pavement was cold and wet. In a two wheel drive I would have been cautious with the power application in first gear because it would have been very easy to spin the wheels instead of accelerating into traffic. When I saw a break in the traffic I simply floored it. The AWD dug in and the CX-5 "zoomed" into the gap, no problem. Definitely not slow off the line.

have you tried higher octane fuel?, cos in the uk the petrol has 165ps and 14.1 compression we have 95 ron it fuel used to be called 4 star I think, a long time ago we had 2 , 3 & 4 star but we only kept the more powerful stuff when we harmonized with the EU.

before you say it's dearer, just spare a thought for what we pay in the UK. 1.30 a litre.. Given that the roads here are narrower, very twisty (esp. in wales :) ),congested with speed cameras everywhere you can understand why a 2.5 engine would be more popular outside of europe!

BTW I have the diesel -150ps on order , due in Jan. The 2 test drives I had in the car was more than rapid enough for the roads here :) about as much torque as the 2.5 but without the fuel bills to match.

Man, mine is NOT slow off the line nor from a rolling start. I don't "smash" the accelerator either, I just press it all the way down. That's what it's there for. If you want a fast start, don't pussy-foot around, tell the car you want to go fast. C'mon people, it's not difficult, it's just different from cars that put all the power in the first half of the pedal movement. This took me all of three minutes to learn.

Three days ago I pulled up to a stop sign controlling access to a 55 mph hwy. Traffic was going 60 mph. The intersection I was at had a steep uphill transition to the highway that was also off-camber and the pavement was cold and wet. In a two wheel drive I would have been cautious with the power application in first gear because it would have been very easy to spin the wheels instead of accelerating into traffic. When I saw a break in the traffic I simply floored it. The AWD dug in and the CX-5 "zoomed" into the gap, no problem. Definitely not slow off the line.

Say what you want me i find that it's a bit on the slow side. I've been driving 25 year and i didn't need 3 min to learn anything about how the pedal movement is working.
What i wrote on they other post is how i feel about it, i know exactly what my ride can or cannot do and believe me after 9 month's driving it i think i got a good understanding of it.
So please spare me the lecture about how not to pussy foot around (no offense given or taken). Im not saying im not happy about my ride or that im gonna trade it in for the 2.5 in a few month's.
Im more than happy with the milleage i get, ride quality, equipement, awd system (here in Qubec we just got like a meter of snow) and all around feel of my ride.

Say what you want me i find that it's a bit on the slow side.

I agree, the CX-5 is a bit on the slow side compared to other recent cars - just not off the line. 1st gear is geared much lower than most cars with 4 speed transmissions and this low gearing assures lots of torque to the pavement and a good jump off the line. I'm coming from a 268 hp Volvo S80 and, yes, the CX-5 is slow in comparison. But they both come off the line at about the same speed because the Volvo is traction limited in first gear - the wheels would just burn rubber if not for the traction control. The CX-5 is actually quicker off the line than my 2010 F-150 4x4 w/ a V8 because, again, the F-150 is traction limited off the line. The AWD CX-5 is not.

Agreed, CX-5 felt a bit slow today, but because it was sunny and dry today so I enjoyed driving my IS350 (quite a contrast in power given a conservative 306 HP rating).

Most of us expected the 2.5L to be quicker to 60 mph, but it looks like some tests are showing 0-60 to be a good 1.5 seconds quicker. Well done Mazda given fuel economy.

Most of us expected the 2.5L to be quicker to 60 mph, but it looks like some tests are showing 0-60 to be a good 1.5 seconds quicker. Well done Mazda given fuel economy.
Have you also noticed how many of those same journalists who panned the SkyActiv automatic last year are now singing its praises? What was that someone said about perception being reality?

Have you also noticed how many of those same journalists who panned the SkyActiv automatic last year are now singing its praises? What was that someone said about perception being reality?

Good point, because it's still about as good as any auto tranny available today.

In the latest June paper issue of Car and Driver, CX-5 handily beat RAV-4 and Forester. Mazda6 also scored a win against Accord.

Back