Poor Man's Cargo Cover for CX-9 Power Liftgate

avidien

Contributor
:
2013 CX-9 Touring
for those who have the power liftgates and don't like your stuff out in the open, I highly recommend getting this,

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

It works great for my CX-9, I loop it around the second row headrests and have the cover conceal the cargo area
I also have the American Kennel logo facing down, it works great and I can easily cover everything in the cargo area,
it's the perfect size for the CX-9,

you know what they say "out of sight, out of mind", if thieves see something worth taking they will take it,
just cover it up and no worries.

Works even better if you have a dog ! , LOL, serves two purposes, plus it's waterproof.

Last edited:
What a great idea, I just got one. It works as a rear cargo cover, a place for the dog and, best of all, a waterproof cover for when I pick up the grand kids from the pool. Brilliant, thanks for the tip!

I just use a black bedsheet (got the idea from here a couple years back). Black bedsheet on a black cargo mat and the rear cargo windows are tinted = Nobody can tell anything is in there when you drape the bedsheet over whatever you want to hide.

If you have other cargo you don't need to hide, just crumple up the bedsheet and shove it to the corner. :)

for those who have the power liftgates and don't like your stuff out in the open, I highly recommend getting this,

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

It works great for my CX-9, I loop it around the second row headrests and have the cover cover the cargo area
I also have the American Kennel logo facing down, it works great and I can easily cover everything in the cargo area,
it's the perfect size for the CX-9,

you know what they say "out of sight, out of mind", if thieves see something worth taking they will take it,
just cover it up and no worries.

Works even better if you have a dog ! , LOL, serves two purposes, plus it's waterproof.

Hey, thanks. I already have one and never thought of this idea. I'll use in to cover the cargo area when I'm not transporting my dogs in the back seat.

Hi, you are welcome, I'm glad I can help fellow CX-9 owners out, at first I looked everywhere for an OEM cargo cover but every dealer said there is none because the CX-9 powerlift motor sticks out too much; there's no room for a cargo cover. At first I used a black sheet but then realized I had to keep repositioning in place and that's when I realized I needed hoops around the second row headrest to keep the cover in place. Then I remember my friend had this $18 cover for his dog and figure it'll work just as well.

picture of cargo cover

here you go, picture below

you can see the powerlift gate motor bulge on the left,
dealers said that is what gets in the way and why we
can't use the OEM sliding cargo cover used in non-powerlift models.
this is a good and inexpensive compromise, good enough to cover-up
your valuables. Also, after going to the swimming pool or beach,
I just lay the wet towels on top, the shiny side (or non-logo side)
is waterproof.

Also, I don't want to pay $250 for the Mazda OEM cover.

cargo.jpg

Last edited:
Really? a whole website dedicated to the lack of a CX-9 cargo cover, website's kinda old since 2008, but still a good read:

http://www.missile.com.au

I don't think the owner or the Mazda dealership realizes the main reason it's not offered is because Mazda engineers didn't design the power liftgate correctly and located the liftgate motor right in the way of the rear cargo cover, so must have been an afterthought (politically correct way of saying the Mazda engineering team screwed up big time) and removed the cargo cover option for owners with power liftgates.

Anyway, the owner of the website did get the free cargo cover, just hope he doesn't have the power liftgate option (hand) Actually, I find the $17 pet cover solution a lot more easier to use. I've had cargo covers on other SUVs before and they were always cumbersome: always had to line it up just right or if the box was too big always worried if it would tear the cover.

They also mentioned the lack of a full size spare, it is possible to get a full size spare up there but need to modify the bracket that holds the spare wheel, a fellow forum member successfully did this. This will be my next project when the weather warms up.

Last edited:
"Pretty much a no-sale" hahahaha, man this guy got really pissed over nothing. Maybe the culture of rear cargo covers is different down in Oz, but damn, that's and insane thing to get hung up on with a $35k vehicle... I mean, I know plenty of people who are shocked when an SUV here, that comes second hand, actually still has the cover in the back (reason for anecdote: maybe people here are used to it?)

But yeah, I was a *little* annoyed it didn't have a cover back there, mostly because the one that was stock in my 6 wagon was awesome (cover and mesh dog fence built in! SWEET!). Buuuuuut, I have a power lift gate and a black sheet or your clever $17 option works too... And the lack of cover gave me a clever way to attach my hatch bag! :)

Funny find @avidien, made me chuckle this xmas eve.

EDIT:
OK, I kept reading this guy's rants.... Seriously, the center console is too high?? You didn't research/read the manual if you NEEDED a full size spare? (Why the heck would you take a sales' guy's word for it) And the shiftier isn't illuminated? (Which it is, as well as being on the dash). This guy really is too much... It sounds like his wife wanted the car and he didn't, and he is passive aggressively taking out his frustrations with his wife with bitching about how this car is "RIDICULOUS." Then go back to GM/Holden buddy and see how their fit and finish treats you... LOL :D

Last edited:
Just wondering, did Mazda ever make a cargo cover for owners with the power liftgate option?

Not yet. Probably with the new model.

I still haven't seen what the cover even looks like. Every one I looked in was empty.

Back