Plasti-dip roof

Tronspeed3

:
MazdaSpeed 3 GT, Pearl White
OK so I decided I was going to finally bite the bullet and plasti-dip the roof of the car. I had seen some mini coopers on the internet with it done and thought it didn't look that bad. Plus it was way cheaper than vinyl and not as permanent as paint.

From afar and at certain angles it looks pretty good...

100_0046.jpg

100_0045.jpg

but upon closer inspection it looks like this...
100_0049.jpg

100_0050.jpg

100_0051.jpg

after multiple attempts to "even it out" I gave up and it came off fairly easy...
100_0053.jpg

So for anyone thinking of doing this the moral of the story is, that plasti-dip works for small pieces that really only require one area to be sprayed at a time. And don't be a cheap ass like me trying to save money and do it the right way!

Just trying to save someone the $40 and time this cost me to learn the hard way.

wow that's horrendous..

have you ever tried the front bumper lip? its not as big so MAYBE it would look cool for a month or two (lol2)..

good try though..

Yeah, you could tell from afar that it didn't look so great.

Excuse my ignorance, but plasti-dip is just a spray on, removable plastic coating?

I've heard of people doing this to their rims in hopes that it would act as a protective coating during the winter season.. sounds like an okay idea! but i still wouldn't bother myself lol

It's really all about how you spray it, gotta use long smooth passes blending one into the next.
We just did my buddies whole car 2001 eclipse and it turned out pretty well. It almost looks like suede leather to me.

I Plasti-dipped my TWM shift knob in the hopes that it wouldn't feel like a hot frying pan in the summer. It worked great and even added some grip.......of course with that much handling it was off in two weeks.

I read about a guy who used that Rhino bedliner stuff on his roof. Looked good in pictures but not sure about the texture.

Back