PE01-14-302A-MV (Value Product) Oil Filter?

Don't really know why, but after a few thousand miles there would always be a few drips on the bottom of the filter, only one that ever gave me any trouble. Might have something to do with the stamping. Also, the oil filter wrench wouldn't fit on properly, again, inconsistencies in the metal stamping.
Is it possible that the filter could have been overtightened, damaging the gasket in the process? Not intending to be critical of your work, just that I hand-tighten only and have never used a filter wrench. So IDK if it might be possible to do something like push the gasket out of shape leaning too hard on a wrench.

Is it possible that the filter could have been overtightened, damaging the gasket in the process? Not intending to be critical of your work, just that I hand-tighten only and have never used a filter wrench. So IDK if it might be possible to do something like push the gasket out of shape leaning too hard on a wrench.
No matter what madar was doing when he tightened up the oil filter, he will use the same way and the same force between the regular and MV OEM oil filters. Too tight? Regular OEM Thai oil filter can handle it but the MV filter can’t. This means there’s less design tolerance on gasket with less expensive MV filter. Corner has been cut.

I've used about 5 of these in past years, have had 3 of them leak on me, won't use them again. I specifically ask for the Thailand made ones at the dealer, not a whole lot more money than the MV ones and the filter wrench fits better..
3 out of 5 leaked? Wow. So the MV oil filters are faulty.

I do know the Value Line brake pads are worse than the regular ones. I absolutely wouldn't use those at all.

No matter what madar was doing when he tightened up the oil filter, he will use the same way and the same force between the regular and MV OEM oil filters. Too tight? Regular OEM Thai oil filter can handle it but the MV filter can’t. This means there’s less design tolerance on gasket with less expensive MV filter. Corner has been cut.
yes, all hand tightened...even the Mazda parts guy gives a little smirk when I ask for the "better" filter.

It is the flat gasket. I had a Wix 57002 / NAPA 7002 (flat gasket) do the same thing. O-ring seals better.

I still have one of these bad boys laying around (MV). I took the gasket off and if you look you can see a few raised spots on the gasket mating surface, 3 on one side. Looks like they ground the others off on the other side, probably why I got leaks .
filter.jpg

Just got back from Mazda dealer. All they have and install is the PE01-14-302A-MV oil filter.

Filter came sealed in plastic and appears to be good quality. Dealer said that it's Mazda approved and installed on all applicable Mazda's without issues.

Well, if you like it then get it. I've had 2 leak on me so far. My dealer has about 2 dozen of the Thai filters on hand, even refers to it as the "better filter". Only ones I'll use. To each his own.

Just got back from Mazda dealer. All they have and install is the PE01-14-302A-MV oil filter.

Filter came sealed in plastic and appears to be good quality. Dealer said that it's Mazda approved and installed on all applicable Mazda's without issues.

That's Mazda's value line of filters made in Mexico. Personally, I'd pass on those. They don't call them 'value line' for nothing...

I might give the Denso 1502002 filter a try. fairly certain they’re made in China. They’re only $3.66 a piece at RockAuto, but they have an anti-drain back valve. I’m finally starting to run out of the Bosch Premium filters I bought years ago for a few bucks a piece.

Back