Passenger (#3)/Rear (#1)/Transmission (#4) Motor Mount Experience/Recommendations

It seems that the 1st gen and 2nd gen PMM are about the same price. From the looks of it, the 2nd gen PMM is more robust and should last longer perhaps? @Silent - so how has the 2nd gen PMM worked thus far? More vibrations at idle compared to the less-robust 1st gen PMM?

works fine. I still think the eFcous RMM is a bit stiff (for an auto, at a stop) but it could also be that I need to torque on all the nuts/bolts. I just gauged tightness. crazyp8ntr also put the same two mounts and may have a different opinion (unless he's manual, then he is good IMO).

My PMM was shot when I bought my van, so I started with a vibration. Now that I've put a few thousand miles on the two mounts I hardly notice any vibration from the eFocus mount.

Everyone please chime in, which mount is recommended? I plan to replace all three at the same time. I have an auto transmission. I need something to withstand a lot of stress on the engine as I put a lot of load on my 5. Sounds like most people are going with the eFocus?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would just replace the PMM with an OEM one. Apparently the newer model would be better

I have the new ones in for over a month - big difference in feel. They looked better than what was coming out.

Thanks guys you have been so helpful. Can anyone provide part numbers for the newer model?

Hello all you friendly and helpful Mazda'ers. I felt compelled to join the forum today as a result of finding such helpful information regarding the PMM. As Silentnoise713 has done before many others here, I too installed the more modern PMM (BBN339060B) purchased through the local dealer's parts department. The "B" part number was a revision of the "A" part number that is indicated in the earlier posts. I felt much more confident with the more robust appearance of the larger and newer mount. As indicated, it was a direct bolt on swap with very little effort. When I removed the original it was completely in two pieces. Two weeks ago I installed new Monroe rear shocks and prior to that I had installed the polyurethane sway bar bushings (front and rear) which in combination with the most recent PMM "upgrade" has caused my car to seem like it is brand new again even though it currently has over 91,000 miles. I feel confident that with these issues attended to I will be driving smoothly for quite some time. As a side note, I have a set of Yokohama YK580s in stock size with 20,000 miles on them that are still at 8/10ths and ride very quietly. Thank you all, my car is once again a pleasure to drive!

Last edited:
Thanks guys you have been so helpful. Can anyone provide part numbers for the newer model?

I re-read a few more times and I see this now. So the pic above is two OEM mounts

Left is P/N BCM439060D
Fits the following models:
Mazda 3, 2004-2009
Mazda 5, 2006-2010

Right is P/N BBN339060A
Fits the following models:
Mazda 3, 2010-2013
Mazda 5, 2012-2013

But what your saying is you put the newer mount in your '08 and it fit?

Alright, now that things have finally settled down for me around here, I am planning to get to the motor mounts most likely next weekend. I have a '10 MZ5. Its confirmed that the newer PMM will work on a '10, but what about the RMM and the TMM? Can I just order up all three 2nd gen parts and install them? I know the PMM has seen a robust upgrade but what about the TMM and the RMM? They are cheaper to purchase as 1st gen parts, but if they have truly been redesigned and improved and will fit, I would love to install the 2nd generation parts.

Any new updates on the TMM and the RMM, inquiring mind wants to know!(confused)

Alright, now that things have finally settled down for me around here, I am planning to get to the motor mounts most likely next weekend. I have a '10 MZ5. Its confirmed that the newer PMM will work on a '10, but what about the RMM and the TMM? Can I just order up all three 2nd gen parts and install them? I know the PMM has seen a robust upgrade but what about the TMM and the RMM? They are cheaper to purchase as 1st gen parts, but if they have truly been redesigned and improved and will fit, I would love to install the 2nd generation parts.

Thank you to to all the contributors to this forum, I've enjoyed reading all the helpful hints to make the MZ5 a great mini,mini van(yes)

My Story on MY09 GT:
Tired of the knocking noise in the front since i bought the MZ5 used. with 19K miles, now 60k...

Did everything... Koni FDS, Moog end links F/R, installed prothane RSB bushes-still made clunky noise and squeeked-removed them, then replaced with Updated OEM FSB/ MS3 RSB, ,, to no avail..., the clunking continued about a week after replacing the OEM FSB bushes...frustrating, maybe the clunk will disappear after the PMM is replaced. (eric the car guy on youtube sugguested it might be the motor mount)

UPDATE;

I've installed the Second Generation PMM and the Ford Focus E RMM and agree with the above comments: Slight vibrations at in drive at stop lights and no slipping or spinning wheels at hard acceleration from stand still.

Still have Clunking!

I found out the clunking noise was the "new" installed Moog front end links, noise came back one week after install. Didn't think it was end links because the FSB bushes were replaced at the same time. This was tested by disconnecting sway bar end of the end link on one side The upper ball joint had enough movement that caused the clunk/click. Maybe I installed the wrong part on the 5. The struts were Koni 4045 for the MS3 and used the MS3 specified Moog front link (cad plated discs at both ends w zerk fittings that interfere with strut housing). Going to try the new improved Moog end link "Problem Solver"for the MZ5, solid black joints, off set zerk fittings... hopefully this will work!

Other items done to the MY09 GT: SPC adjustable camber arms (even tire wear,raised tire pressure to 38 psi), Stock Mz5 Springs, MS3 Front Calipers with Centric Hi Carbon Rotors, SS brake lines, Hawk HPS 50 Pads, 2010 MS3 18" Rims (5 have bent to roads in the Bay Area+ soft rims), Nitto Motivo Tires = Quiet and Grippy, Now Conti DWS 06 225/45-18,= quiet and grippy

Dyno- matted and sound insulated the entire interior took onemonth/everyday/ 8 hours, New JL Audio TR570-CXi Speakers, stock Navigation head unit= sounds great, no need to put in amplifier, some wind and road noise still...and the Clunking/knocking at front end !!!

The noise I that I can still hear is probably from the low profile tires, Continental DWS 06,225/45-18 inflated to 37 psi to provide even wear.
It sounds more like riding on a over inflated balloon tire that is hollow with a thumpy sound. Happy with all sound deadening I preformed on the 5. Again its not a Lexus, maybe an Acura.

although the Autoexe rear exhaust makes the MZ5 sound more sporty, the van can out manuver and out brake the Elise, plus can carry bags of dirt for the Mrs.(dance)

Last edited:

Sorry for bring back the old thread.

I just bought a BBN3-39-060B to replace the old BCM4-39-060D for 2006 2.3L Mazda3. Looks like it's won't fit. The new mount is at least 1CM higher than the old mount. Don't know what wrong with it...

If that is the PMM then it should fit. Try it, it's an easy swap. Most likely you will still have some clearance for the coolant reservoir. Just did all my MZ5 motor mounts using the second gen parts except for the TMM. Everything worked like a charm.

If that is the PMM then it should fit. Try it, it's an easy swap. Most likely you will still have some clearance for the coolant reservoir. Just did all my MZ5 motor mounts using the second gen parts except for the TMM. Everything worked like a charm.

Tried already. the coolant reservoir is not the problem here. the upper surface of "BBN3-39-060B" where the 2 nuts suppose tight down to is at least 10mm higher then my original mount "BCM4-39-060D". If I tight the nut down. the engine will be tilted. Does not looks right.

Are you supporting the engine from underneath while you change the mount? Mine went in no problem and looks nice and straight.

Are you supporting the engine from underneath while you change the mount? Mine went in no problem and looks nice and straight.

Yes. I did. unless my original mount is not BCM4-39-060D, but Mazda told me it fit my car according to my VIN....I'll try to take a photo.

Update. Tried again. looks like the BBN3-39-060B sink down more then old mount when put engine weight on it. The engine only around 0.5 degree tilted (can't confirmed as the ground may not level as well). Looks OK.

But for 06 Mazda 3 2.3L(Not M5). I need cut off 2 brackets(for the counter weight and ground wire) on the mount. otherwise the front one will be very close to the Coolant reservoir under side main hose, and the rear one will be very close to the bottom side of reservoir it self. Also need use some cable ties to move the same reservoir under side main hose a bit forward. As the hose will be touch the front edge of the mount, the edge is not sharp. but just in case. So far so good. last thing. the mount indeed feels a bit stiffer then another mount I was put in temporary(BBM2-39-060A which is for 2.0i). A little bit more engine vibration can be felt as a manual transmission.

Last edited:
This mod is technically not recommended.

Anyone else who wants to "upgrade", go to your local dealership and buy both mounts so you have them in hand. Measure, compare/contrast, investigate however you like. The motor mount is a very simple contraption. However, your eyes may deceive you at first b/c the older mount has a higher rest angle (you can sorta see this in post #24). But once weight is applied to it, this doesn't matter. What matters is to ensure the fulcrum point is the same (or almost the same b/c there is some tolerance for vibrations) once it has weight on it. Return the other mount.

God bless consumerism. (usa)

I replaced the passenger myself because it was cracked and leaking at 6 years old and ~70k miles.

Today had dealer replace tranny and rear at 7 years and 78K. Drives like a new car. Wife says she can't feel it shift, and I no longer feel a thud every time her foot goes onto the gas pedal. Also smoother on the interstate believe it or not.

I do dump/fill my tranny fluid every other oil change with Redline (highly recommended for oil and fluids), so that has helped. But the mount changes made a huge difference.

2 hrs labor for both and parts came to $494. Worth it considering what little this car has needed over the years (tires and shocks). There's no question there's less wear and tear on the tranny. Feels a lot better.

Edit - Also just noticed no more thrashing at all when selecting gears.

Last edited:
Today I decided that the shifting on wife's car still wasn't where I thought it should be.

I bought 4 quarts of M-V from the dealer and did a dump and fill. 3.2 quarts out (measured) and 3.25 quarts back in. Dead even on the high notch where it should be.

Shifts like new. So, so smooth. Very happy!

So, there's no question the Redline endures the heat better, but as I've read multiple people say, the anti-shudder properties of the M-V make it the best fluid for this car. I completely agree.

The only issue is that it's a conventional fluid that burns up, so it has to be changed frequently. I'm going to do a dump and fill at each ~5,000 mile oil change the next 2-3 times and see how it looks. I may just do it every oil change. It's only $30 extra to keep it mint.

Hey Robo. A little off topic here but you should consider adding an Aux ATF oil cooler AND/OR at a minimum replacing your coolant. The key to the effectiveness of the OE liquid to liquid oil cooler (more appropriately an oil temp regulator) is good liquid (coolant) to cool it with! The concerns regarding AUX cooler overcooling, long warm up, head pressure lost, is unfounded in the real world, IMO. These two should keep the OE fluid much longer so you don’t have to waste time/money frequently wasting ATF.

Oh, and Amsoil (2thumbs)

Do we have any mods around that can some move these two posts to thread below? Makes more sense as an update in case others search for this in the future.
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...ilter-Share-your-experience-on-the-Mz5!/page6

Back