paint

What do you need to wet sand? If it's minor scratches or swirl marks, try a cutting compound. When I had my Mitsu Lancer I took off the LANCER letters off the back and scuffed the clear coat pretty bad (you could see scuffs outlining LANCER). So a paint shop sold me a buffer and some cutting compound. I don't remember exactly how it works, but when I was done with the compound I waxed the car and the scuffs were completely gone.

FYI the second step of Mcguire's three step is a very light cutting compound. The compound I used was medium.

you could always use a rubbing compound (maybe the same as cutting?) -- something like turtle wax or whatever.

Actually you are right, I called it the wrong thing, they are rubbing compounds. I haven't been a fax of the turtle wax brand for a long time. 3M however, seems to know what they are doing.

Here's an example, only I used medium cut. I don't want to get off on a tangent before yellowmsprotege explains what he is doing, but I would suggest going to an automotive paint shop and talking with them. Most of the time they will help you out with your questions.

I used to work at a body shop when i had my lowrider. I did the body work and everything myself. I wetsanded it but i did it before the final clear coat. and it turned out shiny. But factory paints are all different so i was just asking if anyone had done it to theres. I'll try the componds, ive actually got some already i just need a good buffer.

wetsanding and clay block will still leave a dull finish...if u wet sand then u will need to buff the car then polish to get a good shine.....but like njaremka said factory paint is very thin

Back