Paint Scratch Repair Help Requested

:
2020 CX5 Signature
Looking for recommendations for paint scratch repair kits for 2020 CX-5 Deep Crystal Mica Blue (42M color) for small scratches and chips.

I'm leaning towards a paint pen for the base color and paint pen for the clear coat, but also using small bottles with small brushes/toothpick/etc.

Any particular brands that match up well with this color?

Last edited:
I wouldn't recommend OEM based on my experience with snowflake white.

Pro: better than having nothing
Con: color really off

Actually, the paint pen blends really well. I use the OEM 42M paint pen but use my Dr. color chip kit to apply it. No complaints here.

Other than perhaps the SealAct Blending Solution, what's in one of the Dr. Color Chip kits that you find helpful?

squeege, sealant, etc. If you have the tools, then probably no benefit for you (I didn’t have them and I had the kit from my last vehicle).

The OEM paint pen does match really well. I think I have before and after photos on some scratches somewhere.

So you are saying that the squeegee comes in handy when using a paint pen? If so, I may have to invest in more than just the paint pen or small bottle of paint and clear coat.

Do you have any opinions of the repair methods espoused by some repair kits to put paint around the scratch, fill in to scratch by leveling the paint into it with the squeegee than after it has dried, remove the repair paint outside the scratch with the supplied thinner?

The paint pens work ok, but I find they don't give great control. I prefer to get a small 1/2 oz. bottle from automotivetouchup and use their microdabbers or a fine paint brush to get paint into the chip with much finer control. I like to do a few thin coats of color and then a few more of clear until built up to be just proud of the surrounding area, and then polish it level. Just using the pen, usually ends up with too much or too little paint, at least in my experience, but can still be fine as long as you get to the point where the scratch is completely filled and then level it.

On the point of color match, I'd say whether you go OEM or a quality 3rd party, you should get a good match. Multi-stage paints are a touch match, particularly pearl whites, such as the Mazda Snowflake White mentioned above. Getting a single paint to exactly replicate a multi-coat pearl, particularly very light colors, can be very tough, and even professional painters usually need to refine their paint mix several times to get the match right. A standard factory paint color mix isn't exact for every application.

Back