P0098 intake air temp sensor high input

Russm

:
08 MS3
Good Day
Had this cell just pop up:
P0098 intake air temp sensor high input
Went through the multiple steps generated by all data to trouble shoot code except don't have meter to check for shorts, checked for frayed wirering, checked for lose connectors, cleaned MAF connectors and sensor, cell still there, only have MSCAI and MS CBE installed when new 86K ago.
My mechanic and local speed mechanic at the dealership said coed specifically related to the MAF sensor and should probably replace at cost of $200.
Checked 4 Mazda dealers and all said never had sold a MAF sensor for a 08 Speed 3 as well as both mechanics, said usually bad connection or dirty sensor.
Anyone have a better idea or a way to abnsolutely confirms it is sensor before I just replace a part.
I can borrow any type of meter if I can get recommendation on what to do.
Thanks so much for any assistance rendered.

You have probably already gone here:

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123783307-CEL-and-Traction-control-light-on

Not quite the same anyway. I would put trust in the advice of Darth Vader a very knowledgeable former member here (now drives a 5.0 Mustang).

I would look very hard for leaks at or around the MAF housing. Any chance you recently did any service on the intake, such as removing it to clean filter? If so, did you disturb the MAF sensor or did you put the air straightener back in and "clock" it properly? I do know that the IAT sensor is incorporated in the MAF sensor itself. If careful cleaning of the sensor did not resolve the issue, you may have to check the service manual for more thorough diagnostic checking of the sensor. I'm sure there is probably some impedance or other value to check with a volt-ohm meter or other means to test it for proper functioning. You might have to borrow a meter from someone.

As suggested in the other thread, sometimes these issues are also "hicups" or transient - doing a "hard boot" of the ECU by simply disconnecting the negative battery terminal, pushing down on the brake pedal to bleed off any residual juice in the system and then reconnecting might eliminate the code. It might take about 50 miles of driving to see if the code comes back. If it does, and you can't find any other reason (frayed wires, loose connections, air leaks, etc.) you may be in the market for a new sensor.

Thanks so much for the advice MSMS3
I had just swapped out my air cleaner (have 2 elements for MSCAI) so I got into it again last night before it rained and everything looks tight, MAF looks well seated and connections clean and no problems with wires that I can see, no drivability issues at all. I had been into that side of the engine bay 2 weeks ago doing the ERG cleaning, (What a PITA) so I will get into it again looking for any wiring issues.
After reading the All Data diagnostic sheet again I have come to the conclusion the P0098 coed is dealing with the MAP sensor not the MAF sensor as the Speed mechanic and parts man had pointed to, All Data is showing only 4 terminal connectors not the number that is on MAF on the diagnostics sheet, it does have a diagnostic steps to check for continuity and voltage and a friend loaned me a meter but it looks like a pain to get up to the sensor from below laying on you back ,but were there is a will and a empty wallet there has to be a way.
It is on the bottom left of the intake manifold and I had just the day before replaced the o ring on dip stick tube which involved a group of wirers tied together around the tube, one of which goes to that sensor so I may have dislodged the connector or damaged the wire to the sensor so I will get to that today.
I Thank You again as do many members of this forum for your good, insightful perspective and advice!!!!

I agree with advice you got on the MSF board concurring with my post above: IAT sensor is built into the MAF sensor, and BAT sensor is in the MAP sensor. Your check engine code is related to something involving the MAF sensor, it's housing, it's plug, it's wiring, or a leak interfering with its ability to properly calculate intake air temperature.

Thanks so much!
Thank You,spec Alldata can be wrong, you guys Know alot more about these cars , the coed P0098 in all data sayas Boost air temerture sensor circuit high?
Thanks again

If it is BAT sensor, then, indeed, that would be the MAP sensor, which could have been damaged or its wires or plug harmed during your EGR cleaning. I think you can get to it from below best now.

Last edited:
Back