Oil Change

So I changed my oil a few days ago and I put in Mobile 1 full synthetic 5W-20. Not sure if it is me but the engine sounds smoother and seems to have a bit more umph. I would not think oil would do this, but call me crazy.

I send my opil off for analysis to see what interval works best for me. I'd rather rely on science than some made up oil standard that has been around for decades. If the manual calls for 7,500 miles, tehn why doubt it? Hell, I run 12,000 miles in our Envoy and still get a great analysis report.

I run a full synthetic oil like Mobil 1 and use Lube Control, so that gives me a cushion and measure of comfort.

BTW, when cleaning my oil plug I noticed some small metal pieces. Very small, and this is the first oil change, so I think that they are just residual pieces from assembly.

They is alot of factors that go into oil changes. How is it driven, temperature, and what type of oil. To me if your using a synthetic you can go longer between oil changes, compared to conventional oil. To me these all factor in to get the oil change at the right time.

Manual says to change oil every 4 months/5000 miles if one of the following conditions exists:

- Repeated short-distance driving
- Driving in dusty conditions
- Driving with extended use of brakes
- Driving in areas where salt or other corrosive materials are being used
- Driving on rough or muddy roads
- Extended periods of idling or low-speed operation
- Driving for long periods in cold temperatures or extremely humid climates
- Driving in extremely hot conditions
- Driving in mountainous conditions continually

Since none of these really apply to me I will stick to the 6 month rule.

Change the oil according to mileage, not time. And use the weight specified in the manual. If you use the wrong oil and have a problem, goodbye warranty service. Also, the oil a manufacturer recommends a certain weight based on the engineering of the engine, particularly things like hydralic lifters, etc.

I took a previous vehicle to an oil change place ONE TIME, and after they put the wrong weight in the lifters ticked. worse, after changing out the wrong oil, the problem never went away.

Had the dealer change the oil in my CX-9 last week. Today I checked the tire pressure in all 4 of my vehicles, and the CX-9 had anywhere from 41-44 pounds in each tire! The service department must have done this when they did the LOF, as I check all of my vehicles at least once a month. WTF?!

If you drive only short distances, the initial startup and the heating / cooling cycles put a lot of crud into the oil. And if you drive such short distances that the engine never gets up to operating temperature, it's even worse.

I just did an oil change myself, using a Mityvac oil extractor. I extracted only 4L out. To make sure I got everything out, I also opened the drain plug, and there was very little that came out (may be a few fluid ounces). Then I dropped the oil filter. There, I got another half a liter of oil out. So total oil I got out of the 2010 3.7L engine was about 4.5L which is far less than what the manual says of 5.2L. Anyhow, it doesn't bother me. Now I know that I can just use the Mityvac to do oil change and not to have to mess with the oil drain plug. It really sucks to do oil change on Japanese cars as their oil filters are at the bottom. They need to learn from the Germans and put the oil filter on top! I can change oil on my bimmer without crawling under the car.

I It really sucks to do oil change on Japanese cars as their oil filters are at the bottom.

on some cars, sure. definitely not on all of them.

i think the CX-9's filter location is perfect; don't even have to jack up the car to change the filter, and i don't need to fit my hand in past hot engine parts to reach it. *shrug*

I also switched to synthetic. 5 quarts of Royal purple 5W20 and BMW 5W30 made up the rest.

Hey everyone,

I just took my CX-9 to the dealership to switch my oil over to amsoil synthetic, the vehicle only has 1900 km on it, just picked it up last month. The service writer called me and mentioned that the shop foreman said changing to synthetic before the first 8000km is not recommended because apparently the engine hasn't broken in yet. Goes on to say that the synthetic oil will not allow the seals to seat properly and I'd be looking at leaking oil in the future if I switched before the "8000km engine break-in". I only want whats best for the new car, and apparently I wasn't taking the right approach so I'd like your opinion on this.

Thanks guys.

First, Mazda manual does not forbid use of synthetic.
However, it does not allow longer change interval with synthetic either.

Second, BMW vehicles come with synthetic oil and required to keep using it.
They don't have seal problem? How so?

Back