"Official Member" now, i just got a 2003 Protege 5

when i was helping my dad purchase my p5 brand new back in 03, we had the choice betweeen roof racks or subwoofer.. sooo of course my dad chose the roof racks

Nice choice! Sunlight Silver FTW! Warning...after your first mod you may not stop. I too started with little personal touches and it simply progressed. Though I really have to say that after looking at a stock P5 it really makes all the difference.

PICT4934.jpg

thanks everyone, i am really enjoying my new car. so i am pretty sure it's a 2003.5 now, subwoofer and no roof rack.

so this morning, i pulled up next to a 5 door 3 and even though i like them a lot, i thought ot myself, "ha ha, i have nicer fenders..."

chexmix78 said:
"ha ha, i have nicer fenders..."

My thoughts exactly. I am a massive fan of cars that make their wheel cutouts stylized, and our car does and it looks hot. The 3 just looks like a Protege5 that gained a few hundred pounds in all the wrong places. The P5 body is nice and taut.

You know you got it bad when you start seeing Flying M's everywhere. I was lying in bed yesterday just staring up. and i looked at the ceiling fan where the blades attach at the brackets and thought "ummm, mazda" i'll try and get a picture tonight.

chexmix78 said:
You know you got it bad when you start seeing Flying M's everywhere. I was lying in bed yesterday just staring up. and i looked at the ceiling fan where the blades attach at the brackets and thought "ummm, mazda" i'll try and get a picture tonight.

I think you need to go out for a drive(drive2) lol

Alpinejwl said:
don't start modding or you will never stop!

I know. but for budget reasons, i'll have to take it easy for a while...so hopefully i'll be ok

Alpinejwl said:
don't start modding or you will never stop!

I second that. My first was black alteezas, I plan on installing vinyl overlays tonight or tomorrow and nite shades is on the way. I know it is all appearance (for now) but I check ebay and the f/s section everyday for rims and exhausts and... AAAAHHHH

honestly, one of the reasons i like this car so much was becasue i wouldn't NEED to mod it. that doesn't mean idon't want to or will, it's just it suits me fine as is for now. so for now performance and or appearance can wait...drove to work today through some bad rush hour. i wanted to test if i would regret getting a manual. so far so good, didn't mind it and it was stop and go for over an hour and that was for about 15miles.

we'll see tonight, i am actually driving to aurora, about 40 miles from work, through heavy traffic. after this i will go back to the train for work and the P5 for fun. it's just the novelty hasn't gone away.

I know what you mean....the P5 looks great stock...IMO. However I wanted to start with some 'little mods' to make it my own. Would like to upgrade rims as the stockers have some bad curb rash, but unless I find a really great deal the budget isn't allowing it.

Sorry to hear about your commute. On rare occasions does it take me that long to get to work, but when it does it sucks. On the bright side I bet you had the best looking car in traffic!

yeah the commute was even worse last night, i drove for an hour and never got over 10mph. but i normally i don't have to deal with that, normally i take the train. so i am back to the train. it still takes me just as long of a commute with all the stops, and driving to and from the station, but it;'s cheaper and more relaxing to ride the train.

yeah i am sure i had the nicest ride out there...although i did see an SP 2.3 yesterday, i had never seen one in person.

I Keep getting these urges to mod, mostly by reading what you guys are doing to your p5's. so i start searching and researching on headers, exhaust...etc. then i remind myself that my budget ONLY allows the P5...

it's a bummer, oh well, i have some caliper paint that I was going to use on my FC. I bought in red thinking it will look real nice on the 4 pot calipers, AFTER i paint the RX-7 Blue. well my budget barely allows me to insure and get plates for the FC, let alone paint it. So I guess i'll use it on the P5.

how mow much HP does painted Calipers give you?

Hopefully i'll do this over the weekend, maybe clean the car a little too.

chexmix78 said:
I Keep getting these urges to mod, mostly by reading what you guys are doing to your p5's. so i start searching and researching on headers, exhaust...etc. then i remind myself that my budget ONLY allows the P5...

it's a bummer, oh well, i have some caliper paint that I was going to use on my FC. I bought in red thinking it will look real nice on the 4 pot calipers, AFTER i paint the RX-7 Blue. well my budget barely allows me to insure and get plates for the FC, let alone paint it. So I guess i'll use it on the P5.

how mow much HP does painted Calipers give you?

Hopefully i'll do this over the weekend, maybe clean the car a little too.

The smoothness of the paint causes less drag therefore allowing more wheel horsepower. Its about 4 WHP. :D

Welcome... enjoy your ride...

Fyi: Being that you have a Silver P5 we have a additional 5+hp for good taste...enjoy

Crazy D said:
Welcome... enjoy your ride...

Fyi: Being that you have a Silver P5 we have a additional 5+hp for good taste...enjoy

thanks, would it be wrong to admit that i wanted a blue one when i started looking for a P5?

Back