NY emissions test

sawzaw

:
03 Protege 5
i'm new here and i searched for awhile but i really didn't find what i was looking for.

i just bought a 03 p5 atx and i want to install a header and exhaust but i'm not sure if i'll pass the new NY emissions tests and i can't really afford to be wrong...

anything helps thanks!

Putting on a header will remove the 1st cat. This will cause you grief during emissions time.

Find out if it's a visual inspection. If it is, then you'll be screwed.

IF not, you can use the non-fowler trick on your first O2 sensor to avoid the check-engine light. They'll just check for the CEL and sniff the exhaust. It'll be fine.

yeah the sniffer is all what has me worried. i wondered if anyone in ny has tried either of the popular headers and passed or failed. the test has only been around for a little while though.

Does NY sniff on ODBII (newerish) cars? I know CT doesn't, and from what I've seen the emissions testing is similar. I passed CT emissions with a header and MAM midpipe with high flow cat. They didn't sniff, though I would have passed even if they did, as long as the car is warmed up. The cat under the hood (on the stock exhaust manifold) is just a "warm up cat" or "precat", it starts working faster during a cold start due to it's proximity to the hot exhaust gasses. If the car is well warmed up and you have a primary cat in your midpipe still, and no CEL, you should be ok.

sawzaw, check www.roclife.org and search on that forum, I'm sure it has been discussed in length over there. You'll definitely need to find a shop that won't open the hood to do the visual inspection, because if they open it and see a header, you're done for! Also, you need to join that site so I'm not the only Mazdahead on there :D

Last edited:
if you are new to new york, emmission tests vary depending on where you are inthe state. the closer to nyc you get, the more strict they are with emmissions testing.

now, that being said, i am under thei mpression that upstate ny only has a visual and an obd check. basically, they check to make sure that all stock emmissions equipment is there, and then they plug your car into the computer to make sure there are no cel codes.

i am also planning on installing a header this spring, but i hope i have figued out a way around the emmisions test. i plan on installing a mazdaspeed cat pipe (the one with the two cats on it) and relocating the second o2 sensor. i am hoping that it looks stock enough that the shop won't give me a hard time about it. then, when my inspeciton comes up, i'll take it down early enough in the month to have time to fix it if i need to.

thanks alot guys.
i've got a shop i trust.
i think they even got around a CEL on my 98 Aurora i used to drive.
I guess the no fouler trick is my best bet

sawzaw said:
I guess the no fouler trick is my best bet
Yes it is but don't put it on the first O2 sensor up by the collector, it goes on the 2nd one farthest from the motor.

Back