No Roof Rails

I was astounded that the CX 5 didn't come with roof rails. The dealer wanted a fortune for them, plus I would have had to wait up to two weeks for them to get them and install them. This is Colorado where nearly everyone carries skis, bikes, paddle boards, kayaks, hang gliders, you name it. All the other vehicles in this class come with side rails, and then you buy whatever aftermarket rack you want.

I always have a top box on for gear, and usually one bike rack on top and two on a hitch mount behind the car. I told the dealer to forget it and bought the Mazda side rails online. I had them in just a couple of days and installation was just a matter of removing the plastic covers and bolting the rails on. They were going to charge me $200 for 20 minutes labor. The only problem was that I couldn't find any black ones, so I ended up with chrome, but I can live with it.

I then first bought the Mazda crossbars, but found them to be pretty useless. I ended up with a Yakima rack that attaches to the side rails, and now the car functions like an SUV should.
Well, is not really a SUV. Why didn't you just buy the yakima attachment for a naked roof instead of found through all that mess with the rails?

I like them better without.

I’m researching options and would appreciate knowing which Yakima crossbars attach to the Mazda rails.

- Mark

Well, is not really a SUV. Why didn't you just buy the yakima attachment for a naked roof instead of found through all that mess with the rails?

I didn’t like the idea of the rack with no rails. I have had some of Yakima's “aircraft” towers in the past, and they always interfered with the way the door closes. Also, I first bought the rails thinking I would use the Mazda crossbars. It wasn’t until I had all that, just a day before we were leaving on a trip, that I found out the crossbars weren’t going to be adequate for our needs. With a bit more time, I might have done what you suggest.

I think of it in the same class as an Outback, Forester, or RAV4, except the handling is SO much better than the multiple Subarus that we have owned. So no, not an SUV. But these cars, crossovers? are a great compromise for getting to backcountry trailheads that are not technical Enough to require a lot of clearance, and when you have only moderate snow to deal with. I haven’t been able to use the Mazda in much snow yet, but I'm sure it will do fine. It does seem a little more fragile, mainly the plastic on the front end, but I really like the car so far.

I can certainly see that if you have no need for a roof rack, there would be no point in putting one on. They do make noise and change the looks. We use one pretty much 100% of the time, so it makes sense for us.

That would be annoying the way it makes the doors close! My 16 had rails and the thule clamps fit on very well. When i was buying the 21 I noticed the rails were different and my Thule clamps will not be compatible so I opted to get one without. Thinking I would get a Thule naked roof clamp since I like the no rail look better. Hopefully I don't have the door close issue.

I was just being facetious on the, it's not an SUV comment🙂

I would guess Th
That would be annoying the way it makes the doors close! My 16 had rails and the thule clamps fit on very well. When i was buying the 21 I noticed the rails were different and my Thule clamps will not be compatible so I opted to get one without. Thinking I would get a Thule naked roof clamp since I like the no rail look better. Hopefully I don't have the door close issue.

I was just being facetious on the, it's not an SUV comment🙂
They'd have worked out the door closing issue long ago. I had planned to keep using my old towers and round bars that came off my X5, and were used on two Outbacks before that, but they wouldn't clamp onto these rails either. I like the new aero bars, they really are a lot quieter,

My 2014 came with the rails standard. The 2019 without. I guess they just didn't think people used/wanted them enough to make it worthwhile nowadays.
Funny, my 2014 did not come with them. It was purchased in May 2013, one of the new 2.5's. At first, I thought Mazda cheaped out, but we never use them or have had cause to want them, so it makes cleaning a whole lot easier and the look a whole lot cleaner.

I am in the camp that considers the car much more attractive without them but I do think the lines integrate pretty well with the rest of the trim and of course if you need them you need them.

Back