Nissan Juke priced to take on Mini Cooper

:
2006 Mazda Speed6
nissanjukex-wide-community.jpg

If there were any doubt that Nissan's new Juke hatchback was aimed directly at the Mini Cooper, its price answers that question. Prices start at $18,960 for the Juke S, with a continuously variable automatic transmission and front-wheel drive, and topping out at $24,550 for the Juke SL CVT with all-wheel drive. Pricing is suspiciously close to the Cooper.

The Nissan Juke has a controversial front end
jukex-inset-community.jpg

By Nissan
However, the 188-horsepower, 1.6-liter turbo engine with all-wheel drive promises more enthusiast bang for the buck than the more expensive Mini Cooper S.

We want to point out for enthusiast fans that the six-speed manual transmission is only available on front-wheel-drive models and costs $500 less than CVT-equipped models. (CVTs, or continuously variable transmissions, work like automatic transmissions without specific gears). Standard across all trims is a six-speaker stereo with steering-wheel controls, iPod integration as well as Bluetooth for hands-free calling. Seventeen-inch alloy wheels, cloth seats, cruise control, express up/down front power windows and a trip computer are also standard.

Here are the trim levels and prices, sans the $750 destination fees:

S: front wheel drive with a CVT, $18,960, all wheel drive is $20,460

SV: front wheel drive with a manual transmission, $20,260; with a CVT it is $20,760; and with all wheel drive it is $22,260. This trim level adds moonroof, suede and cloth seats, XM Satellite Radio, three-mode drive select, keyless entry, push-button start and leather-wrapped steering wheel.

SL: front wheel drive with manual transmission, $22,550, CVT $23,050, all wheel drive, $24,550. This adds automatic headlights, fog lights, leather seats, Rockford Fosgate stereo with subwoofer, USB connectivity, navigation system and rearview camera.

--David Thomas/Cars.com's Kicking Tires

I like the little bugger but at around $23K its too far into the RAV4 territory.
Not to mention the better looking, larger, and equally equipped Kia Sportage is out too.

Price needs to be cut $3K across the model line otherwise they got a dud here.

styling is wild! I think its priced fine. 4wd, small turbo engine should get good gas milage. I imagine its going to be a niche car anyhow and not sell in big numbers.

however...I'm not sure how many folks are going to cross shop a MINI with that thing...

Back