NGK wire set for 03 protege5

elviszhe

:
03 Protege5
I want to replace the wire set for my lovely Protege5 to get a better and stable engine performance. but haven't very clear what I shall I do though.
please help me here.

product info:
http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/part_finder/car_truck_suv/results.asp?engineid=31216

so.. I shall order one wire set (1*ZE76) and two Coil on Plug Boots (2*CPB-Z002), and do I also need to replace my Spark plugs as well?

has anyone tried this b4? could you feel the different after installing the NGK wire set.

here's some food for thought... when you buy a replacement set of wires from mazda, inside the box are branded NGK wires.

for just a "tune-up", get the wires, coil boots, and plugs. for slightly smoother running, get the plugs that are listed for the 2001 1.6l engine.

thank you sooo much.

here's some food for thought... when you buy a replacement set of wires from mazda, inside the box are branded NGK wires.

for just a "tune-up", get the wires, coil boots, and plugs. for slightly smoother running, get the plugs that are listed for the 2001 1.6l engine.

Last edited:
the 1.6l plugs are the extended reach version, which (coincidentally?) happen to be the stock plugs for the 2.0l FSZE japanese engine. they work just fine in the protege5 2.0l engine, and add a little bit extra smoothness to the ignition.

does the wire set change really affect the engine performance?
some one told me yes. some one told that dun not bother to change them, useless.

plug wire are a maintenance item. i would change them every 50,000 miles or so, just to keep the ignition system at top marks. they are only $40-ish for the 2.0l set.

"performance" is maybe the wrong word. ngk wires have less resistance in them, allowing for more efficient spark, but horsepower increase...no.

so in the real world, unless the leads are causing you issues, you don't need to replace them. but they're a $30 part so if you want to do it all at once, nobody is stopping you. i have tried the extended reach spark plugs and they do provide a much smoother engine during idle and acceleration. the standard tuneup will help overall efficiency, extend the life of components, and is part of your regular maintenance schedule anyway.

...ngk wires have less resistance in them...

less than what? i've purchased a set of replacement wires from mazda, and i've purchased a labeled set of "NGK" wires, and they were both exactly the same wires. pulled the wires out of the mazda parts box, and they had "NGK" all over them.

the plug wire set is not too expensive, but those CPBs are. the wires to the P5 are only for two cylinder, other two are using the CPB I guess.
my car is about 80,000 miles, shall I change them all if I decided to go, or I only need to replace the wires?

plug wire are a maintenance item. i would change them every 50,000 miles or so, just to keep the ignition system at top marks. they are only $40-ish for the 2.0l set.

when you say extended reach spark plugs, do you mean 01' Protege 1.6L plugs? as njaremka mentioned above?

"performance" is maybe the wrong word. ngk wires have less resistance in them, allowing for more efficient spark, but horsepower increase...no.

so in the real world, unless the leads are causing you issues, you don't need to replace them. but they're a $30 part so if you want to do it all at once, nobody is stopping you. i have tried the extended reach spark plugs and they do provide a much smoother engine during idle and acceleration. the standard tuneup will help overall efficiency, extend the life of components, and is part of your regular maintenance schedule anyway.

He means spark plug # ZFR5F-11.....and if you have the funds replace the spark plug wires and the coil packs look on Ebay they aren't very expensive

I think my spark plugs are NGK G-Power platinum BKR5EGP, replaced last year.
ZFR5F-11 is better?

He means spark plug # ZFR5F-11.....and if you have the funds replace the spark plug wires and the coil packs look on Ebay they aren't very expensive

the "Z" version is the extended reach. the extended reach plugs work very well with our engine.

the "Z" extended reach plugs are stock in the USDM 1.6 engines, and the same plug is stock in the JDM FS-ZE 2.0 engine.

yes i read your earlier post, i am not comparing the NGK vs Mazda wires, if NGK is supplying the OEM part to mazda then the point is moot to this application. i am stating the "benefit" of replacing the wires. if the resistance of the wires are outside the normal spec then replace them with any brand you like.

the extended reach plugs mentioned are NGK 2262. i used the same plugs but 1 heat range colder, NGK 4291. some stores might find the plugs more easily with the stock numbers.

platinum plugs are better for long life applications, the extended reach plugs have the similar effect of advancing the ignition timing ever so slightly.

oh and the blue ngk wires adds nitrous boost 700 hp but might damage the manifold.

Last edited:
yes, OEM mazda wires are NGK.

wire resistance will change as they age, so good practice is to replace them at regular intervals. the cost of new wires makes this a regular part of my maintenance tasks.

my car likes the regular copper NGK's better than the platinum versions, for some reason. not sure why, but it definitely runs smoother with the cheap copper plugs. downside to this, is i have to change them more regularly. cost is still less, just more wrenching involved.

the advantage to knowing about the 1.6 plugs being the extended reach version is that you can walk into any parts store and buy off the shelf. beats trying to explain to the parts dude what you are trying to look for. for whatever reason, it always seems easier for them to look up plugs for a specific car, than trying to tell them a part number.

good to know all of this.
but I still have a question:
based on what I found from http://www.ngksparkplugs.ca/documents/NGK Iridium IX Colder Heat Range Chart.pdf
Quote:
"If you have modified your vehicle in any of the following ways, ..... 1.6 Performance air filter (35% more air flow), One heat range cooler than stock"
I am currently using K&N 33-2134 in my car, not sure how much % more air flow increased by this. but shall I use a cooler spark plug?

i have an injen intake, long-tube header, and full cat back exhaust, AND i am running stock plugs.

Back