New to me 2021 CX-5 owner

Hi, bought our first CX-5. Sold my 08 CX-9 GT a couple years ago at 14 years old and 106k miles or so, it was the perfect vehicle, literally. It was front wheel drive so I never had to deal with the Ford transfer case issue. And thankfully my water pump never failed on the trusty Duratec 37.
We replaced it with an 18 Acura MDX Advance low mileage CPO since cx-9 had a 4 cylinder at the time. Kinda wish we could have got a CX-90.

We ditched our Nissan Altima now for a CPO CX-5. 2021 Grand Touring with Premium, non-turbo, only 16k miles off lease, like new underneath, zero rust. There's like one turbo CPO at each dealer, they are not frequent. All of the turbo CPO CX-5's were higher mileage and all had varying degrees of cosmetic damage. Being that my 15 year old will soon be driving it, it's probably best for non-turbo anyhow. They are cleaning it up and agreed to put new tires on it, even though only 16k miles. Should take delivery today or tomorrow.

Any pointers or tips appreciated as I've been away from Mazda and Mazdas247 for awhile now.

Glad to be back!

Your 2021 Grand Touring with Premium has 2.5L NA with cylinder deactivation. If you plan to keep this CX-5 long, watch the ill effects caused by CD.

2.5L NA with CD comes with modified cylinder head and lock-up clutch in torque converter from original SkyActiv-G 2.5L and 6-speed auto to accommodate added cylinder deactivation since 2018 CX-5. The head could crack due to a 2-mm thin wall at the cracked area although the percentage should be very low. The ATF is easily to get contaminated by the iron powder due to the excessive wear by new single lock-up clutch instead of multi plate lockup clutch set used in previously due to a fulcrum used inside the torque converter to fight the CD vibration.

2.5 NA Cracked Cylinder Head with Oil leaking...How common is this?

Cracked Block (2018 CX-5)

2017~2024 CX-5 Chirp Noise from Automatic Transaxle on 3-4 upshift - Bulletin 05-005/23

Thanks for this, good info! Thankfully the terms of the cpo are 7/100 powertrain. I'll be sure to follow the fluid replacement schedule for trans/ptu/rear diff. My Acura has a rod bearing recall scheduled in September they will replace the connecting rod bearings, or if really bad, also the crankshaft and if super bad an entire long block. What's with motors these days. Telling you, that Duratec 37 had some reports of failed chain driven water pumps, but mine was bulletproof and leak free to the day I sold it.

Thanks for this, good info! Thankfully the terms of the cpo are 7/100 powertrain. I'll be sure to follow the fluid replacement schedule for trans/ptu/rear diff. My Acura has a rod bearing recall scheduled in September they will replace the connecting rod bearings, or if really bad, also the crankshaft and if super bad an entire long block. What's with motors these days. Telling you, that Duratec 37 had some reports of failed chain driven water pumps, but mine was bulletproof and leak free to the day I sold it.
There is no schedule for trans fluid. Good luck getting your Mazda dealer to do it. Best to do it yourself or buy the fluid from dealer and have a Indy shop do it.
I've been fighting with my dealer to do it.

Thanks for this, good info! Thankfully the terms of the cpo are 7/100 powertrain. I'll be sure to follow the fluid replacement schedule for trans/ptu/rear diff.
Yes Mazda’s CPO warranty is nice. Like others has said above, there’s no change schedule on ATF、gear oil in front transfer case and rear differential. You just have to initiate those changes by yourself.

My Acura has a rod bearing recall scheduled in September they will replace the connecting rod bearings, or if really bad, also the crankshaft and if super bad an entire long block. What's with motors these days.
Rod bearing recall on your 18 Acura MDX? On its 3.5L V6? How this can be a “safety” recall? Honda definitely is not the same Honda it used to be. My 1998 Honda CR-V with 192K miles is the most reliable car I’ve ever owned. But I won’t get another Honda with so many quality and reliability problems Honda is having in recent years.

Telling you, that Duratec 37 had some reports of failed chain driven water pumps, but mine was bulletproof and leak free to the day I sold it.
I can only say you got lucky to let your 14 year old 08 CX-9 GT go at 106K miles without issues. The water pump will fail, and the cost to replace it is high.

Yes Mazda’s CPO warranty is nice. Like others has said above, there’s no change schedule on ATF、gear oil in front transfer case and rear differential. You just have to initiate those changes by yourself.

Rod bearing recall on your 18 Acura MDX? On its 3.5L V6? How this can be a “safety” recall? Honda definitely is not the same Honda it used to be. My 1998 Honda CR-V with 192K miles is the most reliable car I’ve ever owned. But I won’t get another Honda with so many quality and reliability problems Honda is having in recent years.

I can only say you got lucky to let your 14 year old 08 CX-9 GT go at 106K miles without issues. The water pump will fail, and the cost to replace it is high.
I guess use the common sense tranny fluid mileage approach, and just do it myself and keep my receipts.

Yeah the Pilot and MDX both have the J35, Pilot makes 280hp MDX 290 with premium, some guys have thrown rods while waiting on scheduled recall haha. It is very cruddy indeed that they have such issues.
I agree I got lucky on 14 years. When I bought my CX9 GT, it was intentional not buying all wheel drive due to Ford Edge transfer case blowing up right and left and same ptu was in the cx-9 with no drain screw, a sealed unit. Mazda later added a drain screw. Same PTU also in several Lincoln models which would also blow up. Getting fwd was one of the best life decisions ever made. It was ok having fwd in Kentucky but now in Pittsburgh we need AWD several times a year to get up some of our hills including the street we live on.

1000007252.jpg
1000007251.jpg
1000007253.jpg

Back