New to Mazda. History and a few questions.

outpost22

:
2015 Mazda CX-5 Touring
Actually I'm not new to Mazda as I had a 1975 Ford Courier made by Mazda but I'm not sure if that counts or not (hand).
Anyway, I appreciate the reading and research done here prior to purchase and the information given by the members here.

The long winded history:
We (my wife and I) just picked up our CX-5 yesterday after much deliberation on brands. We came from a Ford Escape which has been my wifes primary transportation for the last 9 years. At 152,000 miles, we decided it was time for a change. We leaned heavily toward a Rav 4 as her parents just bought one and liked it. We however felt the seating position was very low (like sitting on the floor) and she felt it had severe blind spots. The Honda CRV was very dull and lifeless to me and I was shocked to read their forums describing lots of problems that seemed serious. Subaru was also ruled out as their head gasket failures at 80K-120K are well known here (we live in Suby country). I have also owned one in the past. My local mechanic does most of the Suby rebuilds in the valley so he has a good handle on their issues. We keep our cars a long time and I don't wish to deal with that if at all possible. We also ruled out the new Ford Escape (even though I have had lifelong Fords) due to the well documented mileage issues/claims and the fact it's turbo charged. Of all the turbo's I've owned, it's the first thing to break on the engine. Normally aspirated engines are high on my list. Transmounted engines are not, but a 4 cylinder is acceptable. The last Escape was a transmounted V6 and very time consuming to work on. (I.E. remove intake manifold, throttle body, air intake and cruise control to access rear cylinders for plug and COP changes) (cryhard) GM and Chrysler weren't even considerations, nor was the Nissan.

The choice:
This brings us to the Mazda. I really was impressed with the car from a lower priced SUV standpoint. It has good looks and stance. Sure there are cheap bits on cars in this price range. But, the driving position, seat comfort and handling were very good. The engine was powerful enough for a grocery getter and the car looks fairly simple to work on. The brakes seemed nice and progressive and since the Techno part and sound system is not of great importance to us (except Blue Tooth) we were not influenced by it. We did not get Nav as I prefer low dollar Nuvi's instead. Time will tell. but the car seems like a keeper.

The questions:
1. I know the oil recommended is 0W-20, but what is the capacity? I didn't see it in the owners manual
2. For those that have serviced the tranny, what is it's capacity and what is the recommended fluid and interval change?
3. Does anyone make a good mud/snow type tire that fits the 17" wheel? I like the Bridgestone Dueller Revo 2 but can't find it in the stock size. Is there something similar?

Thanks in advance for your help.

1. ~ 5 quarts. I buy a 5 quart jug at Walmart's, and an OEM oil filter. The 5 quart jug refills to ~ 4/5 from the add line of 1/5 from the max line.
2. The recommended fluid is Mazda Blue F fluid. There is no recommended drain/ change interval.
3. Go to TireRack.com to find suitable snow tire options

All owners' manuals list oil change volume under "capacities"; in this case on page 9-5.

I know this is OT...

But, I've been looking for one of those pickups for I don't know how long. Those suckers are in short supply these days.

Thanks for the responses. Interesting that there is no tranny service interval. I hope it's not like my 2004 BMW 328i that had a"lifetime fluid sealed transmission" and had to be replaced after it was 3 months old due to it failing. Some lifetime. (notcool)

Yes the old Courier was my first "work truck". Cost was around $2500 brand new. My brother and I both had them and my friend had the Mazda with the rotary engine. His gas mileage was terrible but he had some power. I had my Courier for 5 years mostly trouble free.

Thanks for the responses. Interesting that there is no tranny service interval. I hope it's not like my 2004 BMW 328i that had a"lifetime fluid sealed transmission" and had to be replaced after it was 3 months old due to it failing. Some lifetime. (notcool)

Yes the old Courier was my first "work truck". Cost was around $2500 brand new. My brother and I both had them and my friend had the Mazda with the rotary engine. His gas mileage was terrible but he had some power. I had my Courier for 5 years mostly trouble free.

I had a 2006 Mazda3 with "lifetime" transmission fluid. I had it flushed at 50k when my reputable shop showed me what came out of it - it was pretty burned. The car drove almost like new afterward. I think it's a little early to see people with skyactiv transmission flushes, but in a few months there should be more I would think.

The Honda CRV was very dull and lifeless to me and I was shocked to read their forums describing lots of problems that seemed serious. Subaru was also ruled out as their head gasket failures at 80K-120K are well known here (we live in Suby country). I have also owned one in the past. My local mechanic does most of the Suby rebuilds in the valley so he has a good handle on their issues.

I wonder where you saw owners reporting issues on their CR-V. I'd appreciate a link. I don't currently monitor any Honda forum, but I do monitor Subaru forums and the head-gasket issue is no longer relevant for a few years now. Keep in mind Subaru has replaced their EJ engine, which had this issue over 10 years ago, with FB engines. Though there is some disagreement on when EJ head-gasket issue was finally fixed (perhaps 2008?), the FB are simply completely different, designed from scratch. Their issue is a tendency for oil-consumption.

I wonder where you saw owners reporting issues on their CR-V. I'd appreciate a link. I don't currently monitor any Honda forum, but I do monitor Subaru forums and the head-gasket issue is no longer relevant for a few years now. Keep in mind Subaru has replaced their EJ engine, which had this issue over 10 years ago, with FB engines. Though there is some disagreement on when EJ head-gasket issue was finally fixed (perhaps 2008?), the FB are simply completely different, designed from scratch. Their issue is a tendency for oil-consumption.

Subaru sued over vehicles' oil burning

"The suit seeks to represent buyers of 2011-14 Foresters, the 2013 Legacy and 2013 Outback, all with 2.5-liter "Boxer" engines; and the 2012-13 Impreza and 2013 Crosstrek, with 2-liter "Boxer" engines."

I didn't bookmark the forum for Honda that I read, but you can read through these: http://www.edmunds.com/honda/cr-v/2014/consumer-reviews/

I am aware of the Subaru claims of the "head gasket fix". We have an '04 Outback. Head gaskets failed at 115K. The new ones need more time for me to have confidence in them. Besides, I didn't prefer the Forester and absolutely won't have a CVT anytime soon. Price those repairs if you haven't already. If oil consumption is an issue, it is an indicator of very hard cylinder bores and lack of ring seating (Like my BMW motorcycle had and was corrected) or poor manufacturing/engine design flaw. I don't wish to find out on my dime which it is. I really don't like when manufacturers state if a motor burns 800 miles/quart that it's "normal". I'm not saying Subaru is saying that but others have. I'd be curious what Subaru states is their "Normal oil consumption".

If oil consumption is an issue, it is an indicator of very hard cylinder bores and lack of ring seating (Like my BMW motorcycle had and was corrected) or poor manufacturing/engine design flaw. I don't wish to find out on my dime which it is.

Oil consumption can have many causes but, you are right, it's often poor engine design. As an engine warms up parts expand at different rates. A crudely designed engine can have cylinders that become oval shaped for a portion of the warm-up. Nobody has ever accused Subaru engines of using particularly sophisticated engine design and engineering. Quite crude actually.

On the other end of the spectrum are Mazda Skyactiv engines. Much of their efficiency is possible due to sophisticated engine cooling.

On the other end of the spectrum are Mazda Skyactiv engines. Much of their efficiency is possible due to sophisticated engine cooling.

Can you link or define the "sophisticated cooling" that you refer to? I am very curious about it.

I agree about the boxer engine in Subarus. They are much like one of my BMW motorcycle boxer engines. Just basically a farm tractor motor in performance (hear ya). I guess Porsche owners and some aero enthusiasts would roast me over that statement though (flame2)

On Edit: I found the promotional video from Mazda about the "engine cooling".

Last edited:
The cooling I'm speaking of was developed using a network of temperature sensors around the head and computer modeling to determine how to control potential hotspots around the combustion area. This this is one technology/technique that allows Skyactiv gas engines to use a higher compression ratio for higher efficiency without risking detonation (even when running on 87 octane). Sorry, I don't have a link handy.

RE: CR-V, I was not able to find consistent serious problem over at edmunds, especially at their forum (for 2012> models), maybe except some people complained over some CVT whine. Of course, there are always some issues and some people are not happy, but I could not identify a trend for something that's obviously broken. Perhaps I did not look well enough.
RE: SUbaru's oil-consumption, yes: the oil-control rings don't function properly. They are too flush with the piston. However, not all vehicles are affected to the same extent.

Back