Mazda 2.5L Turbo Oil Filter size

Okay, I’m a little surprised. I’ve been changing my own oil and filter since 1965 and they were mostly on big block Mopar engines, PH8 size filters. So having purchased my first Mazda CX-5 Turbo I ordered a few filters for my next 3 oil changes. These oil filters are smaller than the oil filter on my Toro zero turn lawn mower. They are 2 1/2” tall and 2 1/2” in diameter. I’m not an engineer but I would have thought they would have been a larger capacity. Not complaining but just an observation.

Attachments

• IMG_0423.jpeg
    IMG_0423.jpeg
    59.9 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
They are pretty small compared to the old days, that's for sure.
Make sure you have the oil filter for the turbo. It's different than for the non turbo engine.
From your pic, I believe you have the right one.
Turbo filter is WPY and non turbo is WPE if I'm not mistaken.
Turbo engine takes 5W30 while North America Mazda says 0W20 for non turbo.
I run 5W30 in my NA engine, but that discussion is on another thread.

I'm going to be changing mine in a few months. My free dealer one has been used and by the looks it cost $110.xx so I'll change it myself. Where is best place to buy multiple filters?? I have a 23' turbo so I need the above pictured filter? No other equivalents?

I'm going to be changing mine in a few months. My free dealer one has been used and by the looks it cost $110.xx so I'll change it myself. Where is best place to buy multiple filters?? I have a 23' turbo so I need the above pictured filter? No other equivalents?
You should be able to buy it from your local Mazda dealer for about $10.50. I ordered mine from a dealer in Ohio for $9.30 each but with the shipping it came to $13+ each. I would stick with OEM.

Yes its small but does the job perfect.
12.50 msrp at my local dealer. Used to be $6-7 before the inflation/covid happened. But things are more expensive now.
If buying bulk online (to get discounts) then probably shipping is worth it as that adds to the cost.

Pardon my skepticism but all those youtube tests mean nothing when the filter is in an actual engine. Its all different dynamics vs home made tests.

Okay, I’m a little surprised. I’ve been changing my own oil and filter since 1965 and they were mostly on big block Mopar engines, PH8 size filters. So having purchased my first Mazda CX-5 Turbo I ordered a few filters for my next 3 oil changes. These oil filters are smaller than the oil filter on my Toro zero turn lawn mower. They are 2 1/2” tall and 2 1/2” in diameter. I’m not an engineer but I would have thought there would have been a larger capacity. Not complaining but just an observation.
where did you order from?

[unlinked] mazdacarparts out of Cincinnati, Ohio. They were $9.08 each plus shipping.
John B ... Check your hyperlink. For me, it doesn't go to a Mazda site but somehow redirects (my browser anyway) to Volvo stuff. 🤷‍♂️ I'm no Internet code computer wiz for sure though lol.

Were you trying to link Sweeney Mazda in Cincinnati? That's where I buy OEM parts from ...

https://www.mazdacarpartsonline.com/

Last edited:
mazdacarparts out of Cincinnati, Ohio. They were $9.08 each plus shipping.
John B ... Check your hyperlink. For me, it doesn't go to a Mazda site but somehow redirects (my browser anyway) to Volvo stuff. 🤷‍♂️ I'm no Internet code computer wiz for sure though lol.

Were you trying to link Sweeney Mazda in Cincinnati? That's where I buy OEM parts from ...

https://www.mazdacarpartsonline.com/
Thanks for the heads up @HyFlyer

Link in post unlinked for safety… @John B Please let us know if you meant https://www.mazdacarpartsonline.com

Thanks!

Bought my last filter from Amazon (Canada) last year. The prices have gone way up now.
I haven't checked my Mazda dealer, but they're probably cheaper than Amazon now.
Not everything on Amazon is a bargain.

Edit: I just checked Amazon US. What a difference. Less than half the price vs Canada.

Back