New STF SCCA Class Thread

I once had a small item get under my brake pedal that I forgot to take out. IIRC I picked up a little bit of time on that run!

You gonna be at peru? Im not sure I'll make it yet but gonna try. I think tires would have helped you cope with the rain it was more than slick for me due to no tires at all I actually posted a vid on youtube called wet v moist of day 1 at the tour.

Don't have the link right now but check out my channel.
Www.youtube.com/mazda2autox

Tires were not the issue. I had full-tread rains sitting in grid. There was no standing water, just moist surface. And my "dry" rears were fresh 3/32nds. Perfect for that condition.

The issue was the roll stiffness split I am running. Way biased towards the rear which works great for dry, grippy pavement. Better power-down off the corner, and much improved transitional response. But it works by overloading the rears on corner entry.

So the solution is to go back to a more normal, factory roll stiffness split.

I had this exact same issue with the ST Civic and am using the same basic solution.

A couple of people asked me about pricing on the AST rear shocks I am running. They are $550 a corner direct from AST. Contact info is here: AST-USA These are custom-valved single adjustable shocks with DDP piston upgrades. Cushy on the street and enough adjustment for use with spring rates as high as 1000#. You can use a 60mm id spring right on the OE spring mount, so long as it is around 6-7" long. Or use a 2.5" id with an adapter ring. AST has those rings, too.

Last edited:
If I ever make the drive out to a national even im tracking you down and making you sign my f15 strike eagle ii box ;-)

Installed the AWR motor mount today. Shoulda done that sooner. Huge difference in feel of the throttle. Actually feels connected to the motor now. Removes a lot of the delay between throttle movements and tire movement. I'm thinking it will improve Pro Solo launches, too.

You gonna be at peru? I'm not sure I'll make it yet but gonna try.

No Peru for us. Not worth the drive just for a Tour. No plans for Toledo, either.

If I ever make the drive out to a national even im tracking you down and making you sign my f15 strike eagle ii box ;-)

Well now, there's a blast from the past. Good times, they were.

Last edited:
Wait - You're the same Andy Hollis from the MicroProse & EA/Jane's Combat Sims?!?! Seriously? I LOVED those games! I miss Longbow 2 bad... I still have Jane's F-15. I have yet to try it on Windows 7 though...hahaha.

Last edited:
Got a tune today...Dynotronics/DPTune

Still have the OE exhaust manifold/cat, so we went with a conservative tune. Noticeable torque increase, especially from 4000 and up. The big improvement was raising the rev limiter to 7200. 1st gear now feels "right" and the shift to second isn't nearly as much of a bog.

We're headed out to Packwood so no time for dyno work just now. We'll do that when we get back to quantify what we've done so far. Also should have a header on the car by then. Some cool developments on that front coming.

Car is finally feeling much more racey, and not so much of a slug.

A tune is something I'm really really looking forward to. This car, even stock, seems to be dead under 4000. With a raised rev limiter, that would make more sense. Watching this closely, thanks.

Still have the OE exhaust manifold/cat, so we went with a conservative tune. Noticeable torque increase, especially from 4000 and up. The big improvement was raising the rev limiter to 7200. 1st gear now feels "right" and the shift to second isn't nearly as much of a bog.

We're headed out to Packwood so no time for dyno work just now. We'll do that when we get back to quantify what we've done so far. Also should have a header on the car by then. Some cool developments on that front coming.

Good luck with Dp .......

Andres

A tune is something I'm really really looking forward to. This car, even stock, seems to be dead under 4000. With a raised rev limiter, that would make more sense. Watching this closely, thanks.

funny thing about that is the car makes 80% of its torque at 2000

Thats a sizeable bump in the rev limit! I've always felt the motor wants to keep on going as its hitting the limiter. Must be much more fun to drive, and thats got to make a big difference on the faster courses.

For other inquirying minds:

Redline 7200 rpm
Tire size: 195/50R15
Diff: 3.85
1st: 38.1 mph
2nd: 68.5 mph
3rd: 96.3 mph
4th: 130.0 mph
5th: 167.0 mph

Assuming thats accurate...8.5 mph more in 2nd is huge! 167 in 5th.....that would take a looooong downhill stretch.

It is accurate; gearing calculations aren't too bad. I don't even think you can hit 130 in 4th because it's an overdrive gear and there are only 100 ponies under the hood.

That's just the theoretical "what if the Mazda2 was gear limited" top speeds.

That is along trip to head out to Packwood WA for you. Good luck!

Andy, when you have time please write up about what your thoughts are about DP tune. I know a lot of people would be interested myself included. I am really interested in seeing what the intake/tune/header and exhaust can yield.

Andy is doing it again at Packwood!

Congrats! What are you doing with all these tires or money? You are killing STF with your Mazda 2. And more impressive you are within 2-3% of STS and STC times! Great job, keep developing!

I think contributing to GRM is good for at least 0.5 sec, so he's got that going for him.

Back