new small suv's with flash

i want mazda to succeed of course but I like not seeing a ton of other CX5s on the road to be honest, make us more unique compared to the s*** ton of rav4s and rogues you see everywhere

Well I think a lot of people just buy a Toyota regardless of how good/bad it is and don’t even bother to cross shop.

That almost reminds me of a Subaru Outback or Forester in looks. Wheels kinda like a Crosstrek.

Definitely an improvement though over the last RAV4, but still not my cup of tea.

Count me on the side that thinks Mazda went backwards a bit with their Gen 2 design. I don't hate everything about it, but there is a Gen 2 CX-5 in the office parking lot now, and every time I see that overbite of the hood and gigantic chrome piece, I throw up in my mouth a little (ok not really, but it looks just bad to me).
Yep, like you and OP, I really prefer gen-1 CX-5 than gen-2 on design! And after driving 12 days on a 2017 CX-5 Touring as a loaner, I firmly believe all the added "improvements" on gen-2 CX-5 are not that much significant to me. Cylinder deactivation is a total downer and a major step backward on 2018 MY!

(uhm)

Last time I checked, the statistic is still showing Mazda CX-5's US sales figures are at the bottom batch of compact CUV sales. In fact, Toyota RAV4 is still outselling Mazda CX-5 at least twice as many with older model. The only good news is Mazda CX-5 finally passed Subaru Forester on sales volume so far this year.

Compact CUVs
US Sales
(to February)
February
Toyota RAV4407,59456,52229,867
Nissan Rogue403,46574,30338,119
Honda CR-V377,89550,17825,852
Ford Escape308,29638,98021,033
Chevrolet Equinox290,45850,45824,053
Subaru Outback188,88627,30014,021
Subaru Forester177,56322,48811,640
Jeep Cherokee169,88226,84612,225
Mazda CX-5127,56326,67913,216
Hyundai Tucson114,73516,0768,438
Kia Sportage72,82411,5795,867

I took the OPs quote of "If they don't put the 2.5t in the CX-5 isn't going to keep selling." to indicate that the CX-5 would not sell well without a 2.5T - and my point is that CX-5 sales have gone up year over year, so the engine choice has not hurt them. If he had said "more people would buy Mazda CX-5 with a 2.5T" I would have agreed.

As the OP I feel....The 2016 CX-5 showed up with those wheels the already bitchen 14 style, ride and some added new features like the commander knob. That seems to be a long time ago now. There just hasn't been a car since that made me feel I'd like a upgrade because there just hasn't been one. If you think the 17 is a upgrade over the 16 well then enjoy your less appealing car.

As far as sales. Those 14 owners are in the market again and there is nothing the CX-5 has that will make them want a new one. Hence sales will decline as people are eyeing a car with appeal. The forester lived off that 2t. So imo if Mazda has a chance at keeping sales going they have to get the t.

Last edited:
Yeah I'll be keeping my 2014. If I had to replace it, I'm not sure what I'd do to be honest. Gen 2 just doesn't appeal.

New rav looks good! Want to know more about the driveline.

Same. The cvt kind of sucks but the truck platform sparks my interest. I came from a X-terra and the CX-5 was about all i could find that I liked going practical. This new rav 4 might be the practical ticket for single guy that isn't growing up.

Generation two looks great. Is more for family than spirited drivers. It is a step up. Infact CX-5 with CX-9 are pulling mazda sales this year. It might hit 150k. Which is good jump. Anyone who thinks perceptions are easy to change in auto world is deluded.
Mazda is already doing great in markets which value premium cars instead of going gung ho on hp and cu. ft. e.g. Europe and Australia. Certain EU markets compare mzd more with Volvo than Honda.
If mzd wants sales in USA add more cargo / hp keep mpg good and cheapen up. The new Accord is not selling due to lack of incentives whereas Last year yota had to discount rav4 too much so as to not loose market. It was a corporate decision to eat some profits but Don't let competitors gain market access.
Plus even major reviewers on YouTube have been candid about Nissans discount. It enables sub 500 credit folks to get new cars at cheaper prices. Even VW understands usa wants cargo and big cars as long as gas is cheap.

Reality is makers can make different cars for EU and USA e.g. we don't get Polo, UP here and EU gets them. Mazda cannot. So they make few and the best they can. Nissan and yota have 20% or so fleet sales, hybrid versions and 3 or 4 dealerships per one mazda dealer. Hence the volume.

You can't make money going cheap and volume. Kia is an example and you can buy Kia's with air bags not deploying and overstated EPA. See Nissan too. I am impressed with MZDs approach. It will disgruntle the 15000 diesel buyers or the 15000 2.5t buyers. My hunch is those buyers cant afford to help MZD pay for crash testing and certifications etc and still be profitable.

Last edited:
If you think the 17 is a upgrade over the 16 well then enjoy your less appealing car.

I'll enjoy my more responsive and modern looking 17 thanks.

That being said I'd like them to add a turbo. They just did it to the 6 I imagine when the cx-5 gets a signature trim level they will drop the turbo in it.

I'll enjoy my more responsive and modern looking 17 thanks.

That being said I'd like them to add a turbo. They just did it to the 6 I imagine when the cx-5 gets a signature trim level they will drop the turbo in it.

This. Drove a 16 CX-5 when my wife was looking and it was not quiet on the road, far worse than my basic 07 Altima was. Test drove the 17 was was impressed at the difference. Looks-wise, I'm not a big fan of the burly truck look (see everything from Dodge...), I like the more sophisticated styling of the 17 CX-5 over the 16 CX-5, and significantly more than the new Rav4.

Stick the 2.5 turbo in the CX-5 though? Whoooo boy, I might not stop smiling anytime I'm on a good road without traffic!

Same. The cvt kind of sucks but the truck platform sparks my interest. I came from a X-terra and the CX-5 was about all i could find that I liked going practical. This new rav 4 might be the practical ticket for single guy that isn't growing up.
No Toyota doesn't use CVT on RAV4 but a 8-speed automatic like the one used in Lexus. Of course the CVT has always been used on all hybrids.

2019 Toyota RAV4 Press Release said:
The power source for RAV4s driving abilities comes from one of two powertrains:
Dynamic Force 2.5-liter inline-four-cylinder engine with VVT-iE mated to an 8-speed Direct-Shift Automatic Transmission, which motivates the five gas models
Dynamic Force 2.5-liter inline-four-cylinder Toyota Hybrid System II (THS II) engine with Electronically-Controlled Continuously-Variable Transmission (ECVT), which activates the four hybrid models

This industry-first Rear Driveline Disconnect system definitely is a major step to the right direction to save fuel on an AWD system as it actually stops the rotation of the rear drive shaft when it's not been used!

RAV4 can achieve better fuel economy thanks to the Rear Driveline Disconnect system. The disconnection features the worlds first ratchet-type dog clutches on both the front and rear wheel shafts. These clutches stop the driveshafts rotations, thus transmitting the driving force to the front wheels when AWD isnt required, significantly reducing energy loss, improving fuel efficiency, and reducing rotational vibration making for a smoother ride.

Generation two looks great. Is more for family than spirited drivers. It is a step up. Infact CX-5 with CX-9 are pulling mazda sales this year. It might hit 150k. Which is good jump. Anyone who thinks perceptions are easy to change in auto world is deluded.
Mazda is already doing great in markets which value premium cars instead of going gung ho on hp and cu. ft. e.g. Europe and Australia. Certain EU markets compare mzd more with Volvo than Honda.
If mzd wants sales in USA add more cargo / hp keep mpg good and cheapen up. The new Accord is not selling due to lack of incentives whereas Last year yota had to discount rav4 too much so as to not loose market. It was a corporate decision to eat some profits but Don't let competitors gain market access.
Plus even major reviewers on YouTube have been candid about Nissans discount. It enables sub 500 credit folks to get new cars at cheaper prices. Even VW understands usa wants cargo and big cars as long as gas is cheap.

Reality is makers can make different cars for EU and USA e.g. we don't get Polo, UP here and EU gets them. Mazda cannot. So they make few and the best they can. Nissan and yota have 20% or so fleet sales, hybrid versions and 3 or 4 dealerships per one mazda dealer. Hence the volume.

You can't make money going cheap and volume. Kia is an example and you can buy Kia's with air bags not deploying and overstated EPA. See Nissan too. I am impressed with MZDs approach. It will disgruntle the 15000 diesel buyers or the 15000 2.5t buyers. My hunch is those buyers cant afford to help MZD pay for crash testing and certifications etc and still be profitable.

When it comes to the Japanese automakers my wife and I have always had a soft spot for Mazda. In 2000 we had to buy a family car (child on the way) and were building a house - needed cheap. So we test drove every econo-box on the market. Honda, Toyota, etc. - BORING and other things we didn't like. Settled on a mid-trim Protege - fun to drive.

Fast forward to modern times, had a 2010 Mazda 3 - fun and loaded this time. Then we both upgraded to Lexus - but I kept looking at CX-5 since its release. I even emailed Mazda telling them that if they added more luxury and convenience I would ditch my Lexus. They responded to my challenge in 2017. I sold my Lexus and got a CX-5. Only thing I missed (on paper) is auto-dimming side mirrors, but then found i don't miss them in practice.

I won't bother to criticize the pre '17 as others do. I thoroughly enjoy my fun, quiet, refined ride in the '17. I would never trade it for any model year earlier.

When it comes to the Japanese automakers my wife and I have always had a soft spot for Mazda. In 2000 we had to buy a family car (child on the way) and were building a house - needed cheap. So we test drove every econo-box on the market. Honda, Toyota, etc. - BORING and other things we didn't like. Settled on a mid-trim Protege - fun to drive.

Fast forward to modern times, had a 2010 Mazda 3 - fun and loaded this time. Then we both upgraded to Lexus - but I kept looking at CX-5 since its release. I even emailed Mazda telling them that if they added more luxury and convenience I would ditch my Lexus. They responded to my challenge in 2017. I sold my Lexus and got a CX-5. Only thing I missed (on paper) is auto-dimming side mirrors, but then found i don't miss them in practice.

I won't bother to criticize the pre '17 as others do. I thoroughly enjoy my fun, quiet, refined ride in the '17. I would never trade it for any model year earlier.
The mazda 6 just got auto dimming and heated side mirrors. I hope they bring them to the cx-5 by 2020!

Still feel bad I did not buy a 6 and got Camry instead. 6 would have been 15% more efficient atleast. Here in Dallas 6 is more expensive than a Camry. In Autotrader Camry 17 LE can be had under 15k used. No bueno if you want equivalent 6 its 2-3k more.

Sorry, i think Toyota has been going the wrong way for years with their vehicles. The front grill on the new Rav 4 is not as ugly as other Toyota and Lexus, but body lines are boring. I love what Mazda has done with the CX-5 and other vehicles.

And statistic wise the 17 and 18 are kicking ass. So many of us are buying new even without the 2.5T - I don't think your statements accurately reflect what is actually happening.

<EDIT - boring comment was about current selling version - had not seen the new one - still ugly grill as on all other Toyota products>

I totally agree with alphadog00

Y'all can argue about looks til the cows come home, but for me, that's the LEAST important factor in choosing a car.

Back