New shocks?

mxjosh82

:
03.5 MAZDASPEED Protege
Ok guys I believe I might have a passenger rear blown shock, and I am also questioning my driver front. Are our shocks the same size as the regular protege shocks? I know we have Tokico blues, but I may just throw some base KYB's on because I will not have the car long, but can not stand listening to the shocks. When I was looking at KYB's online some were saying "fits all protgs except mazdaspeed."

Thoughts?

Thanks

pretty sure the stock rear shocks are different for the MSP so the car will sit lower than a regular protege.

i think you can use any regular protege shock, but you will have to change the springs.

Rear struts have a different perch height, fronts are the same. You can use a regular protege rear strut but the car will sit funny but they will work fine.

What do you mean by noise? Blown struts are usually just bouncy/ soft. If its squeeling try greasing the sway bar bushings

It is like a hard clunk. Rear sway bar has clunk fix bracket, new greased bushings, new end links.

Rear struts have a different perch height, fronts are the same. You can use a regular protege rear strut but the car will sit funny but they will work fine.

What do you mean by noise? Blown struts are usually just bouncy/ soft. If its squeeling try greasing the sway bar bushings

I believe the MSP's also have slightly longer rear sway bar end links too...the rear struts either have the endlink tab in a slightly different location, or the racing beat sway bar sits differently when neutral...

this fact made finding a new end-link completely awesome. Tried AutoZone for a rear p5 endlink, as i was in a hurry and at a friend's garage out of town...they said they only come for P5's in one size (which was 104mm iirc)...tried it...no good, pushed the sway bar down onto the lateral link and clunked like no other...Dealership took my VIN, had the part, went in with my autozone endlink to compare...exact same length, so that wasn't right either...

Finally tried Napa and over the phone they said they have a 84mm and a 104mm for protege 5's...the 84mm fits perfectly, and is obviously what 'regular' proteges use...so i am only assuming the longer units are specifically for MSP's..and possibly MP3's...you might need the shorter ones to use regular rear struts on a MSP...

Ill measure mine wheny fiance gets home, I always though the p5 was the odd ball with different sized end links

cool, if you could let me know that would be great for future reference...also, i called Napa again to see what sizes they offer...he said an 84mm bolt to bolt, and a 96mm bolt to bolt...so i must've heard wrong about the 104mm...the 84mm is what i bought and fits properly, anything longer will preload the rear sway bar...the dealership said 'there is only a 7 and 3/4" end link for a p5'...which is what the autozone part was, and didn't fit a p5...but, this is the 3rd time my local dealership has been completely off...

Back