2017~2024 CX-5 Aftermarket shock replacement suggestions

What is the advantage of installing non OEM shocks? I find the behavior of the standard suspension perfectly fine on paved roads where most people drive. My dissatisfaction is with handling on dirt roads where I find there is more (uncomfortable) side to side wallowing than with previous vehicles I've owned. I also find the suspension does not "soak up" bumps and uneven road surfaces but rather delivers them not much modified to my drivers seat. I don't relly blame Mazda though because they don't expect buyers of the CX-5 to travel on such road surfaces except very ocaissionaly. Certainly not daily like me. My experience with aftermarket "upgrade" shocks on former vehicles is they just produce a harsher ride on anything but smooth pavement.

I installed them. Before I made it out of the driveway, I knew I had dun goofed. My worn out 130,000 mile KYB Excel G's rode and handled better. So much so, I damned near pulled back into the garage to put the old KYB's back on, no lie.

Only reason I didn't, I was thinking the Monroes would settle down in a week or two. They never did. TRASH.
In addition to other aftermarket shocks/struts in years past, I went down the Monroe Quick Strut avenue twice (yea, twice, I know). I needed struts and installation was free, meaning the price was right and the car wasn't a prize anymore if it ever was. Mine rode stiff at first but settled down after a while, but longer than 2 weeks. They were OK but started to get soft at 20-25K miles. That car is long gone and I see no reason to go with other than OEM Mazda struts on the CX-5 when the time comes. Especially if they come with the factory mounts. But yea, in agreement with you, they were sheety . And don't forget ' Monroe recommends replacing the struts after 50k miles'. What a joke.

The Monroe's often clunked when cornering, too. And yes, I torqued everything to spec and even used blue locktite to make sure the bolts weren't backing out on their own.

KYB Excel G's perform almost exactly the same as the Mazda OEM shocks and struts. Fact is, it's so close, if someone told me that the Mazda shocks were made for them by KYB, I wouldn't be surprised at all.

The only reason I can see going aftermarket is if the KYB's were substantially cheaper, or if you wanted a more aggressive ride. If the aggressive ride was your goal, Koni or Bilstein is what I would look at.

The Monroe's often clunked when cornering, too. And yes, I torqued everything to spec and even used blue locktite to make sure the bolts weren't backing out on their own.

KYB Excel G's perform almost exactly the same as the Mazda OEM shocks and struts. Fact is, it's so close, if someone told me that the Mazda shocks were made for them by KYB, I wouldn't be surprised at all.

The only reason I can see going aftermarket is if the KYB's were substantially cheaper, or if you wanted a more aggressive ride. If the aggressive ride was your goal, Koni or Bilstein is what I would look at.
I thought KYB, in fact, did make the struts for Mazda.

I looked on the shockwarehouse web site.
KYB has a complete set for gen1 cx5, but on backorder. Bilstien has a set for gen2.

Maybe it's covid supply line issues.

I looked on the shockwarehouse web site.
KYB has a complete set for gen1 cx5, but on backorder. Bilstien has a set for gen2.

Maybe it's covid supply line issues.
Still wondering why those aftermarket shocks are one-size-fit-all, but OEM’s have so many different shocks for different MY’s and FWD/AWD?

Take theblooms’ advice, get OEM rear shocks which include unavailable top mounts. Check the condition of rear shock top mounts which are made of plastic if you really want the aftermarket shocks. Those plastic top mounts usually are not in good shape after all these years of usage. There’re many reports that they need to replace those cracked top mounts but there’s no such part available.

Wife's MZ5 did the same thing. Replace the pair. And if you get the OEM shocks, they turn out to be cheaper than aftermarket, because the OEM shocks come with new upper mounts already installed.
Just replaced mine with KYB $55+tax a piece. I think it is half the price of OEM and mounting the upper mount takes 2 min.

The only interest I would have in an alternative shock would be if it significantly improved side to side wallowing on uneven surfaces i.e. unpaved roads, over the stock suspension. That may be inherent in the suspension design and not something that can be improved with after market shocks. 99% of CX-5 owners won't experience it but I do daily and I hate it.

Just picked up a set of Bilsteins for $508 from shock surplus :). I confirmed they're the right part numbers too. I'm surprised I found them, as they seem to be sold out everywhere.

I almost have everything to start my little project.

Just picked up a set of Bilsteins for $508 from shock surplus :). I confirmed they're the right part numbers too. I'm surprised I found them, as they seem to be sold out everywhere.

I almost have everything to start my little project.
I'm about to order the B6's on Monday that will end up getting installed with the CS springs. Might be a couple months b4 they come in. Will be interested to see your feedback on them.

bueller-ben-stein.gif

Back