New PB!!

LordWorm

Ok tonight Andrew (Twilightprotege) and I went out to the 2nd round of the Willowbank Street Series, primarily to do some testing, but also to give me my first ever taste of competition drag racing.

Day started off pretty ordinary, I ran very close to my old PBs and didn't go quicker...then I realised I had backed 3 degrees of timing out of the car overall when I was fiddling with the microtech.......whoops.

Anyway, as the temps started to drop, and the timing was added back in... the times started to tumble... Andy pushed up my redline a bit (6750) so I could get a bit more of a gearing advantage....and I started to get back in my groove after something like 6 months away from the track...

Bare in mind the ONLY thing that has been done to this car is the installation of a microtech LT10S, AWR front engine mount, and TWM short shifter... thats it. I have taken alot of weight out for racing, but the race class I wish to enter in later this season allows it so what the hell.

Previous best: 16.174@84.11MPH

New Time: 15.581@87.55MPH

I'll stress again, this is stock intake, stock exhaust, stock driveline, stock cams, stock just about anything you can name.

In the end I was eliminated in the first round - it was my first time up against a DYO tree, and I had dialed in faster than the other guy (i think i would have preferred to lead and not chase...) I stuffed the reaction and he had it all over me from there.....so Andy and I went home early..but I cant complain... 15.581 was faster than I expected I would run..... =)

Huge thanks to Andrew for crewing for me and for tuning the car (its still not the best tune, he's only had 2 hours on the street with it, so he reckons theres still more in it)

Next step is full custom built racing header and exhaust, along with twiggy spec cams :)

Last edited:
Great job! Very impressive times. This header you speak of, is it the 4-2-1 twilight was talking about a while back? You should do a group buy :D

khaosman said:
Great job! Very impressive times. This header you speak of, is it the 4-2-1 twilight was talking about a while back? You should do a group buy :D
Thanks man.

they are 4-1's..designed by myself, Twilight and another friend..... equal length tuned racing headers....should give considerable power..

GB could be done...but we'd need to get someone to manufacture the things for us...i don't feel like grinding the welds back on a dozen of them.... 2 is gunna be enough :p
haha

Lets just wait and see what kinda numbers they pull

if you had of taken the laptop adapter we could have pulled another 0.1-0.2 seconds off that time through further tuning

twilightprotege said:
if you had of taken the laptop adapter we could have pulled another 0.1-0.2 seconds off that time through further tuning
Yes...haha..

I swear i packed it up...but it was still on my computer desk when i got home. I blame the cats.. or something.

15.581 was absolutely flying...fastest i've ever gone! haha...save a little bit more for next time ;)

(headbang) Congrats!

Does that class require the stock airbox?
I just can't understand why else anyone would run with it still stock.

any more info on the headers? sounds kewl...

Crazee D said:
(headbang) Congrats!

Does that class require the stock airbox?
I just can't understand why else anyone would run with it still stock.

any more info on the headers? sounds kewl...
Thanks man....

Reason why i've stuck with it is cos i havn't gotten around to replacing it ;)

its going in the bin as soon as i get the quads sorted out

Headers...um....stock fitment will be an issue, they'll require some modification to an existing exhaust system to fit - equal length, tuned to make big power over a narrowish (but not too narrow - should still work fine on the street) powerband, racing merge collector....should make some pretty incredible power, if not the most power for an FS-DE header to date...

Last edited:
khaosman said:
Ah crap, narrow powerband. I need something that works well for autocross! :D
haha
likely still be wider than most off the shelf (and generally incorrect) headers

the one we're doing up for me is tuned specifically to my engine :)..andy's will be tuned specifically to his... compression, redline, desired powerband, time the power comes on, etc - all spec'd into the designed length :)

making your own headers is fun :)

jomoyo069 said:
holy s***.. nice times
Thanks

Got a bit of work to go on the car before a race meet next month - Since i'm not going to have my headers done in time, and because my chosen class will let me, i'm going to have a J-pipe 3inch side exit dump pipe (un muffled) :)

I've also got the custom cams in, and plan on doing something temporary about the intake.

I'll also have my new cushion button clutch installed so I wont have any slip off the line which will be a good thing!

Hoping to sub 15... maybe... heres hoping.

Thekid760 said:
Buy a K&N Typhoon and take out you left fog for the ram air effect :)
Do the twiggy thing and get a turbo bell mouth on the end... positive pressure out of an NA motor... :)

nah i'll probably fab up something for myself

i'm going quads in the not too distant future, which will have a plenum with probably a 3in intake on it... so i can't justify the expense of a typhooon then not use int hte near future.

Back