New P5 owner with p0453 question

Hello all. I recently bought a P5 and while it is in fairly good shape there are a few issues to work though. I think I have most of the CELs solved, but p0453 remains a problem.

I found one link on google that points to the fuel tank pressure sensor for this code on Protegé’s. From what I can tell, the sensor is tucked up nice and high on the top and back side of the gas tank. I can see it, there are multiple wires leading to the connector that are frayed or broken, so I would believe that it is causing an issue.

I was just curious if anyone else has dealt with this issue and how they got to the sensor? It looks like one would need to drop the tank or maybe remove some rear suspension parts to get access to that wiring

Attachments

• 3E9EB375-BABC-4558-9DBB-819437CBD217.jpeg
    3E9EB375-BABC-4558-9DBB-819437CBD217.jpeg
    200.1 KB · Views: 172
  • 52D46EF6-4153-4F7C-AF4C-14A36DFD3FA7.jpeg
    52D46EF6-4153-4F7C-AF4C-14A36DFD3FA7.jpeg
    132.1 KB · Views: 175
  • CD1957C4-1130-42E5-8814-896BCA119C2B.jpeg
    CD1957C4-1130-42E5-8814-896BCA119C2B.jpeg
    122.4 KB · Views: 166
You can access the top of the tank from inside the car.

It's under a plate, with four screws.

I replaced my gas tank a few years ago and I don't recall any other electrical connectors.

Thanks for the reply pcb. I did take a look where you referenced but I didn’t see anything noteworthy besides a mouse nest.

The connector I’m referring to is highlighted here in this diagram from someone’s reply on “justanswer.com” for a similar question. The thing they highlighted has the chewed up wires shown in my photograph on the first post.

1598293504558.png

Oh, Okay.

I didn't have to mess with that when I replaced my gas tank.

The service manual just simply says to disconnect the FTP sensor connector, but sometimes they don't clarify what has to be removed to do that.

I'm just guessing, but maybe you can remove the vacuum tubes to lower the whole sensor to work on it?

Thanks again, I’ll take another look with that possibility in mind. I sort of assumed it was mounted to the gas tank pretty well and there’s not a lot of room to reach up in there, but maybe.

I think it's actually supported by the big vacuum tubes? I didn't disconnect the sensor from the gas tank. I just removed a bunch of vacuum tubes and the big filler tube to replace the tank.

Another thing I remember, is that you can remove the back two bolts that hold the gas tank up, (the ones closest to the bumper) and the tank drops about an inch and then rests on a lip/bracket, and won't fall on your head.

That gave me a bit more room to reach in there to disconnect the big vacuum tubes and rubber filler pipe.

Another thing I remember, is that you can remove the back two bolts that hold the gas tank up, (the ones closest to the bumper) and the tank drops about an inch and then rests on a lip/bracket, and won't fall on your head.

That gave me a bit more room to reach in there to disconnect the big vacuum tubes and rubber filler pipe.

Nice! That may come in handy. Thanks again.

Just to close the loop on this in case someone else has to deal with this problem. I dropped the rear subframe and also dropped the tank a few inches which gave me plenty of space to access the wires and connector. If you disconnect the wire on the fuel pump then you can pull this fuel tank pressure sensor connector out with plenty of room to work.

If I would do this job again I think it can be accessed simply by dropping the subframe and not touching the tank.

Back