New Mazda 5 GT Owner

:
'07 Mazda5 GT
Hello all. Just picked up an '07 M5 Grand Touring; White, Nav, DVD, HID, and leather, with 51600 miles on the dash. This will be my first Mazda. I've had Hyundais, a Jeep Grand Cherokee, and currently an Audi A4. I like the M5 for it's styling and those useful sliding doors and easy access to our little one's child seat. I think we got a good deal for the package that's in it. Plus the dealer was willing to replace the front brakes and all four tires prior to pick up!
I guess I'd like to know what is the next major maintenance that I will be expecting? Also, what does everyone here do to up keep their M5 in good running condition? Can anyone provide me a Maintenance Schedule manual or link? And has anyone here tried to do anything about that unusual missing Arm rest on the PS seat? Thanks and I hope that I can find some helpful stuff from this Forum.

Hey there, also a used 07 GT owner (but Canadian subtle differences). Mine has just about the same mileage, picked it up about a year ago now. As you troll through the forums you notice a couple things to watch out for... rear struts, if they're the Mazda OEM's, will blow very soon, just replace with Monroe or KYB and you be good. They're cheap, about $50 each and if you're at all handy and have jack stands, easily DIY replaceable. If there gone, you'll notice uncontrolled bouncing and/or knocking.

Along the same lines, the rear swaybar bushings, if they are also still OEM, wear out pretty quickly and lead to squeaking/knocking, same with the fronts. Again a pretty cheap fix for the rear. The fronts can be a bit more as because of the layout up front, it's a more difficult and labour intensive job... which is why I still haven't done my fronts yet... been quoted $250 a couple of times in labour, but thinking about doing it myslef, there is a good how-to in this forum somewhere.

I added Bluetooth and MP3 functionality with a Grom Audio set-up... allows you to use stock headunit and steering wheel controls - http://ow.ly/5JeMv - also very easy to install yourself.

Bought a little trailer and added a hitch - http://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2007_Mazda_5.htm - The 5 is not rated for towing in NA but is in Europe up to 1500 lbs but I recommend using this cushioned ball mount to help ease strain on the driveline - http://ow.ly/5JeYt - Again all easy DIY.

You may just want to keep an eye on the inside of the rear tires. Some 5's because of the way the rear suspension was designed ot make the car sporty can overly wear the inside rear tires while the outside looks brand new... can be dangerous. Original owners usually fixed this and/or some cars just don't exhibit the behavior. Not sure if mine was fixed but I don't have the problem. There are a few extensive threads on the how, what, why and what to do.

Other than following the regular schedule you should be all good in the hood! Great to have you, check back often and keep asking questions.
Cheers!

Welcome. Yes watch out for the excessive rear camber, one thing, since you have new tires anyway might as well have an alignment to check all the wheels just in case. If you are planning to lower, install camber links (rear) to keep camber to the optimum.

Thanks^^ I don't plan to lower it for now. I'm quite pls'd with its stance and all. I'm sure, like all other cars I've owned, that I will be bored one day and start modding. For now I'll enjoy it as it is, especially we're now gonna be more tight with our budget. I am considering putting roof racks with a fairing particularly THULEs sometime soon. I'll probably start with a set of window vent deflectors as it seems to be a cheaper mod.

Btw, I noticed the OEM stereo on this is quite low on bass...well, when I listen to the radio for that matter. But when I watch a DVD, the sound quality is spot on. I not sure if the radio settings can be changed or what...any ideas on how to improve stereo quality when listening to the radio?

So far I'm enjoying this car/wagon/minivan/crossover. The handling is impressive. I think I can dare say that it handles like my Audi A4 quattro!?! It's that good. My wife really likes it too, which is all that matters for me. I'll post pics soon...

Btw, I noticed the OEM stereo on this is quite low on bass...well, when I listen to the radio for that matter. But when I watch a DVD, the sound quality is spot on. I not sure if the radio settings can be changed or what...any ideas on how to improve stereo quality when listening to the radio?

To change the radio settings on my 5, I just press the right hand radio knob and then cycle through the settings till bass comes up. Rotate the knob to change the settings.

BTW, welcome to Mazda 5 ownership and to this forum

^Thanks. I fig'd that part out at least. I guess what I meant to ask is what are some ways M5 owners here have done to help improve audio system sound quality? This OEM system just seems under par compared to other factory stereo system.

^Thanks. I fig'd that part out at least. I guess what I meant to ask is what are some ways M5 owners here have done to help improve audio system sound quality? This OEM system just seems under par compared to other factory stereo system.
Your stock radio has no auxilliary input, can't play .mp3s, mediocre sound, no iPod support, no USB port. Remove it and buy a new one from www.crutchfield.com Replace your speakers too if it fits your budget.

And what the others were saying about your tires can't be overemphasized - the '06 and '07 Mazda5 toes slightly from the factory which causes excessive tire wear on the inside edge. There is a long thread about this with some solutions, but don't wait until your current rear tires are shot.

My GT comes equipped with factory Navi and DVD entertainment package...apparently Crutchfield can't come up with any units that would be compatible with my set up without having to sacrifice usage of the the OEM Navi and DVD.

How's upgrading the speakers worked out for some of you out there? And what type of speakers did you get?

Back