New CX-9 Grand Touring/Tire Concerns

pitt

I will be taking posession of a new Grand Touring AWD in a couple of days and I have a concern with reviews that I have read, from tire rack to this site, regarding the Bridgestone Dueler H/L 400's that come with this vehicle. Poor performance in rain and especially snow is what I have read in numerous reviews especially Tire Rack. Mazda told me they were unaware of any problems; and what a surprise, Bridgestone said the same thing. Any options what a dealer can do regarding swapping tires ? Any feedback with these tires would be appreciated.

I have to agree............the Bridgestone tires were terrible in the snow, and in the rain they are fair at best. I just replaced mine @ 22,000 miles. I now have Yokohama Parada Spec-X........so far so good. We will see how they are once the snow flies.

Got 2,000 miles on my Toyo Proxes ST II's. Still going strong. Very good grip in the wet. No winter use yet.

I just bought a set of 17" wheel/tire winter package from tire rack because of the reviews I read. I need a dedicated set of snow tires for western NY weather.

I don't think they are bad on wet roads and they are actually quiet decent handling tire for normal driving. Just get a set of winter tires and wheels from the Tire Rack, about $1300 including another set of TPMS. No all-season tires are going to very good in snow, real snow tires make snow driving fun. I skipped getting AWD and with just FWD and 4 winter tires I never have any problem.

Can second the Yokohama Parada Spec-Xs.
They have proven very satisfactory in the rain so far.

Here's my take on this for us folks who lease. The stock tires will never make it through the lease term with enough tread left to not get "dinged" when returning the vehicle. The Yokohama Parada Spec-X's seem to be the best alternative 20" tire out there if you don't want to risk your life in the snow. If picking up a new vehicle, ride the stock tires for while (if not snow season already) swap out to the Yokohama's and then put the Stock tires back on when returning the vehicle at the end of the lease.

Where did you buy your Parada Spec-X in factory size?

Well, one of my four Bridgestone (20's) factory tires suffered a small nail puncture so far into the inner edge of the tread/sidewall that it may not be repairable.

I wouldn't dream of spending good money on one replacement Bridgestone, even if readily available. These tires are worthless IMO.

Last I looked, TireRack was not showing the Parada in our size. For those who have the Spec-X, where did you purchase them?

Here locally, I guess I'll try Mr. Tire or Merchants. A post back would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last I looked, TireRack was not showing the Parada in our size. For those who have the Spec-X, where did you purchase them?

Here locally, I guess I'll try Mr. Tire or Merchants. A post back would be appreciated. Thanks.

Discounttire.Com lists them for $197 each, 245/50R-20.

Well, one of my four Bridgestone (20's) factory tires suffered a small nail puncture so far into the inner edge of the tread/sidewall that it may not be repairable.

I wouldn't dream of spending good money on one replacement Bridgestone, even if readily available. These tires are worthless IMO.

I purchased mine at a local tire dealer $189 ea. installed (plus tax etc..) I had 20,000 on the Bridgestones and had the same issue I got a nail in one right on the sidewall that was not repairable.

I purchased mine at a local tire dealer $189 ea. installed (plus tax etc..) I had 20,000 on the Bridgestones and had the same issue I got a nail in one right on the sidewall that was not repairable.

At least you got 20,000 miles out of them. My set has a little over 3,000 miles.

No way I'll buy another Bridgestone, not even to save the set.

Anybody in the Baltimore metro area looking for three 20'' Bridgestones, $150 takes all three.

Well, the puncture at the inner edge of the tread/sidewall is unrepairable.
I'm having trouble getting the Parada's locally, and my cheapest price from a dealer than can deliver is $804 out-the-door. However, they won't do road hazards and the wheel balancing is one-time-only (though the dealer said he's rebalance within a couple thousand miles if it's needed).

The Toyo's are significantly less expensive. Like $540 over the internet plus installation, which is probably about $100. While back, Treadepot was shipping a set of four for $500. I'm assuming the Yokohama is a marginally better tire, and it weighs nearly 5 pounds less per tire, so I'm leaning toward spending the extra money.

I never imagined that five months and 3,300 miles after taking delivery of my Cx-9, I'd be blowing eight bills on new rubber.

Another CX-9 riding Yokohama Parada Spec-X

These set me back $784 out-the-door in Maryland.

Only dealer that could get the OE size in a day was also the cheapest. Hole-in-the-wall tire shop, but a pleasant experience (I don't get many).
Balance is spot-on, and they didn't scratch my wheels. The entire installation took 30 minutes.

My initial impressions are in line with others on this forum who have the tire, they seem to be worth the money. Almost $200 more than the Toyo Proxes S/T II, I don't know. The Yokohama is said to have the edge in snow and rain, and the set weighs exactly 16.5 lbs less than the Toyo, by itself a minor difference, but it did factor into my choice.

My stock 20s stink. Can someone recommend a good all season tire for the 20s?

I just posted on the thread above in the 18" section. I put Mich Latitude Tour Hp 255/50/20 on my GT a few days ago. You can read my comments.

Tom

Back