New CX-5 Owner Looking For Recommended Oil Brand/Type?

rj_make

:
CX5
Hey guys and gales, new to the CX-5 9 (Mazda) and have been reading quite a bit on oil types/brands in the forums. With all that reading I can't seem to get a handle on what is the consensus on this subject. I know I need 0w20 Synthetic but what's the best currently?

Live in Maryland, and wife drives 30 miles round trip to work (15 Miles, stop and go, and 15 miles highway), I generally change the oil every ~3K

Here are my choices.
On-Line:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Costco: (Local)

I'll be using OEM filters.

That Pennzoil Ultra Platinum is great,but for that price,I think I'd stick to the factory Mazda Moly as it's roughly the same price and can be shipped free from the site sponsor,Med Center Mazda,if you buy 3,and you can get the filter too...

If youre using OEM Filters already, buy the oil there too. Filter+oil costs me $52 at my Mazda dealer.

And stop changing your oil every 3,000 miles - that hasnt been necessary in 40+ years and is nothing but a sales tactic for quick lube places. Ive gotten my oil analyzed on 5 different cars now and have been told on all to go at least 7,000 miles, especially with full synthetic.

Synthetic oil can easily last 10K miles under normal usage.
Mazda recommends 5K or 7.5K change period.
Within warranty, you can follow one of the two.

The reason I use Castrol Edge is because that is what my dealer uses for all the vehicles that come in for an O.C. Also the $20. rebate check I get with every O.C. is another incentive.

Hey guys and gales, new to the CX-5 9 (Mazda) and have been reading quite a bit on oil types/brands in the forums. With all that reading I can't seem to get a handle on what is the consensus on this subject. I know I need 0w20 Synthetic but what's the best currently?

Live in Maryland, and wife drives 30 miles round trip to work (15 Miles, stop and go, and 15 miles highway), I generally change the oil every ~3K

Here are my choices.
On-Line:

Costco: (Local)

I'll be using OEM filters.

The top of the line Penn is great. I use m1 afe. It's cheap and in stores local.

I prefer Pennzoil Ultra or Platinum 0w20 and OEM or Ultra oil filters. A 30 mile round trip is good to oil so a 7,500 miles oil change interval is still conservative but, retains your Warranty. Ed

I purchased a case of OEM filters ($6.67) which comes with 12 crush washers on line. So it looks like Pennzoil is the product of choice. So which is better Pennzoil or the Modza Moly?

I've been told by a well known engine builder that it's not the oil, but the oil filters that is the reason for 3K oil changes. He claimed oil filters have very low filtering volumes and start bypassing as lower RPM's once the filter starts to load up. He also recommended using high powered magnets on the filter can to pull the ferrous material (I'm thinking in these modern engines only the piston sleeve is ferrous?) to the can wall for the first 50-75K. He also recommended changing the oil after the first 1-2K miles on new engines. This last piece of advice I can attest to being good advice. Every car I've done that too, the first oil change (sometimes 2nd and 3rd also) is like looking at black metallic paint. You can literately see the material swirling around in the oil.

That said, I have no ideal if any of that is true (except for the early oil change), but I will say I've never had any internal engine failures in the last 25+ years following his advice, and I typically run my vehicles into the ground 180K+ miles

I purchased a case of OEM filters ($6.67) which comes with 12 crush washers on line. So it looks like Pennzoil is the product of choice. So which is better Pennzoil or the Modza Moly?

I've been told by a well known engine builder that it's not the oil, but the oil filters that is the reason for 3K oil changes. He claimed oil filters have very low filtering volumes and start bypassing as lower RPM's once the filter starts to load up. He also recommended using high powered magnets on the filter can to pull the ferrous material (I'm thinking in these modern engines only the piston sleeve is ferrous?) to the can wall for the first 50-75K. He also recommended changing the oil after the first 1-2K miles on new engines. This last piece of advice I can attest to being good advice. Every car I've done that too, the first oil change (sometimes 2nd and 3rd also) is like looking at black metallic paint. You can literately see the material swirling around in the oil.

That said, I have no ideal if any of that is true (except for the early oil change), but I will say I've never had any internal engine failures in the last 25+ years following his advice, and I typically run my vehicles into the ground 180K+ miles

Stock ls1 drain plugs are magnetic.always had metal shavings even at 150k mikes. Ran great.

That Pennzoil Ultra Platinum is great,but for that price,I think I'd stick to the factory Mazda Moly as it's roughly the same price and can be shipped free from the site sponsor,Med Center Mazda,if you buy 3,and you can get the filter too...
(iagree) I use Mazda moly 0W-20 oil and OEM filter for all of my oil changes so far.

Where are you guys finding Pennzoil Ultra? It's nonexistent up here except for maybe getting it on Amazon.

Where are you guys finding Pennzoil Ultra? It's nonexistent up here except for maybe getting it on Amazon.

Looks like OP posted the Amazon link to buy 3 at once with free shipping. Pretty good price,but the same price as the Moly,so I'm gonna roll on using it...

Any 0w20 oil is fine to reach 7k easily. I live in extreme weather and the findings from Blackstone oil analysis conducted by friends/family suggest at aprox. 8-9k lifespan of detergents/lubrication.

I believe in Europe the OEM filter is used for 1 year or so. Perhaps our Euro friends can elaborate?

My personal oil of choice is Shell's Pennzoil Platinum 0w20 locally for aprox $22. Natural gas derived base stock oil, Shell's proprietary detergents/cleansers/lubricants, and the usage of tri-nuclear moly. (OEM oil uses old school moly)- The Pennzoil Platinum Ultra you are referring to is OEM spec oil for Ferrari and SRT HEMI engines. A bit overkill for a skyactiv engine. Its Shell's top oil. The regular Pennzoil Platinum provides 85-90% of the Ultra's detergents/cleansers/lubricants. Good enough for me. Oh and I tend to use Shell gas as well.

My personal filter of choice is the WIX 57002 oil filters locally sourced at o'Reilly's made specifically for skyactiv engines. Keep in mind skyactiv filters require higher PSI specs and with no anti-drainback valve. Its getting harder to find made in Japan OEM filters.

I installed a Fumoto valve for oil changes. The design of the oil pan allows for good old oil drainage when on front ramps. If you're the type whom takes your car to the dealer or Jiffy Lube :0, or don't trust yourself doing oil changes have someone install it. Eliminates the risk of stripping the pan. Otherwise it merely saves you a bit of time. Plus looks cool under there:)

I believe in Europe the OEM filter is used for 1 year or so. Perhaps our Euro friends can elaborate?

I'm not in Europe, but I do have a copy of the European manual downloaded.

12mo/20,000km (12,500mi) oil change interval for Europe. 10,000km in severe service.
The manual also recommends 2yr/40,000km brake fluid replacement (or 1yr if the brakes are used intensely)
There is also a 180,000km manual transmission fluid replacement. (and no mention of automatic fluid replacement)

Also, if you happen to live in Azerbaijan (it's singled out for some reason), the recommended interval for oil is just 5,000km... or 2,500km (1553miles!!!) if you do severe service driving. I wonder how common the Fumoto valves are there...

Last edited:
Any 0w20 oil is fine to reach 7k easily. I live in extreme weather and the findings from Blackstone oil analysis conducted by friends/family suggest at aprox. 8-9k lifespan of detergents/lubrication.

My personal oil of choice is Shell's Pennzoil Platinum 0w20 locally for aprox $22. Natural gas derived base stock oil, Shell's proprietary detergents/cleansers/lubricants, and the usage of tri-nuclear moly. (OEM oil uses old school moly)- The Pennzoil Platinum Ultra you are referring to is OEM spec oil for Ferrari and SRT HEMI engines. A bit overkill for a skyactiv engine. Its Shell's top oil. The regular Pennzoil Platinum provides 85-90% of the Ultra's detergents/cleansers/lubricants. Good enough for me. Oh and I tend to use Shell gas as well.

My personal filter of choice is the WIX 57002 oil filters locally sourced at o'Reilly's made specifically for skyactiv engines. Keep in mind skyactiv filters require higher PSI specs and with no anti-drainback valve. Its getting harder to find made in Japan OEM filters.

I installed a Fumoto valve for oil changes. The design of the oil pan allows for good old oil drainage when on front ramps. If you're the type whom takes your car to the dealer or Jiffy Lube :0, or don't trust yourself doing oil changes have someone install it. Eliminates the risk of stripping the pan. Otherwise it merely saves you a bit of time. Plus looks cool under there:)

So the CX-5 needs a filter with no anti drainback valve? Do we have a list of what oil filters fit this bill? I usually use Purolator pure one filters for my cars in the past but I see that they have the anti-drainback valve. So for the CX-5 I've used the OEM filters. Are there other ones other then the WIX that are suitable replacements

I'm not in Europe, but I do have a copy of the European manual downloaded.

12mo/20,000km (12,500mi) oil change interval for Europe. 10,000km in severe service.
The manual also recommends 2yr/40,000km brake fluid replacement (or 1yr if the brakes are used intensely)
There is also a 180,000km manual transmission fluid replacement. (and mention of automatic fluid replacement)

Also, if you happen to live in Azerbaijan (it's singled out for some reason), the recommended interval for oil is just 5,000km... or 2,500km (1553miles!!!) if you do severe service driving. I wonder how common the Fumoto valves are there...

That's what I'm talking about. Good research!! Europeans are very car centric people in general.....hence the fluid intervals:)

So the CX-5 needs a filter with no anti drainback valve? Do we have a list of what oil filters fit this bill? I usually use Purolator pure one filters for my cars in the past but I see that they have the anti-drainback valve. So for the CX-5 I've used the OEM filters. Are there other ones other then the WIX that are suitable replacements

Pretty sure you can use a filter with the ADBV.....but Mazda specs the OEM filter without one. WIX went out of their way to spend R/D on producing a filter literally only for the skyactiv engine. A filter with a different baseplate, no ADBV and higher psi bypass setting.

List meeting above criteria I'm aware of includes:

OEM
Wix 57002
Napa Gold 7002 (Made by Wix?)

Last edited:

all good advice. if there was a way to change your oil filter without draining all your oil like on a german car, that would help lots.

I recommend changing your oil every 5000 miles purely because of the filters. most oils, unless you are using very good quality racing oil like motul is basically sheared down and useless after 5000 miles anyways.

most oils, unless you are using very good quality racing oil like motul is basically sheared down and useless after 5000 miles anyways.

Once again you post a personal opinion as fact,and once again it is complete bull crap!!

Once again,show some testing data to support your claim...You can't,because if you did,you'd quickly see that there are thousands and thousands of oil test that have been performed that debunk your claim...

Side note...Mazda allows for 7500 mile oil change intervals and it doesn't void the warranty. Imagine that,their recommendations should be labeled as pure useless...

most oils, unless you are using very good quality racing oil like motul is basically sheared down and useless after 5000 miles anyways.

Actually oil analysis reports disagree with you there.

Can you back up your statements or are you going to keep spreading this BS?

Last edited:
Back