New 2012 mazda5, Steering vibration?

:
2012 Mazda5 Touring
Wanted to post it here, before taking it to the dealer, to see if this is "normal" or not.

Car is brand new with 229 miles on it.

At Idle, if I put my hand in the middle of the steering wheel (above the mazda symbol), I can feel the motor vibration coming through.

Driving - this is what concerns, on the highway at 70-80mph, I can feel a vibration through the whole steering wheel. Alignment seems ok, car is riding on Toyo 205/50/17.

THe vibration isn't as bad as like a warped rotor, but it is noticeable.

Thoughts?

I have seen a couple threads on vibration for the car, but nothing on the '12's yet..for some of the older models there seems to be a vibration somewhere between 45 and 55mph that then smooths out but it does not appear to be something that happens on all vehicles (happens on mine, but not consistent. I've chalked it up to the tires). I have only noticed vibration at highways speeds once..checked tires the next day and one was a little low. I just did a 650+ mile trip with no issues at speed..
I'm guessing you've already checked and equalized tire pressures..

All tire pressures are at 34psi. Tires are Toyos.

I called the dealer, they booked me tomorrow morning for appointment.

The vibration is constant, and doesn't go away at higher speeds, but also doesn't increase, remains the same.

90210, what are some of your past vehicles? If you are new to the I-4 engine experience, that may be throwing you off. I-4s generally are not internally balanced like V8s and certain degree V6s. Chrysler had a problem in the 80s with the 2.5L I-5 that is created by giving the better-balanced 2.2L a longer stroke. They used internal countershafts to reduce the vibration, but the point is, vibration on I-4s is pretty much par for the course. Some are better than others, while some will tear motor mounts apart prematurely (Honda's 2.2L in the mid 90s Accord went through bottom mounts often w/i 80,000mi. and mine went bad around 100K)
We have some vibration especially in the wheel when idling out of gear, but the mirrors don't shake, so I chock it up to the I-4, not bad motor mounts.

WEll the idle I can chalk up to vibration of the motor. However, the driving isn't normal. Hopefully they will balance/align whatever is necessary, and make it warranty, and not charge me (rolleyes)

I've had REALLY good experiences with my Mazda dealer. Bought it used, from another city, and went to them constantly to have all the '06 1st year bugs worked out, and they never grumbled or tried to force me into having work done that wasn't covered by the warranty. Hopefully you'll be so lucky.

I've had REALLY good experiences with my Mazda dealer. Bought it used, from another city, and went to them constantly to have all the '06 1st year bugs worked out, and they never grumbled or tried to force me into having work done that wasn't covered by the warranty. Hopefully you'll be so lucky.

Thanks.None of my new Mazda vehicles previously had any issues. So I am not even sure if tire balance/alignment is covered under warranty. I shall see tomorrow, I suppose.

I have seen this complaint before from a few new owners and have wondered if this is just flat-spotted tires from sitting in one place too long, or from when they strap the cars down to the boat during shipping.

Yes, the highway vibration could be a symptom of flat spots, but once he's traveled any distance, the tires should have heated up enough to smooth back out if it were the case.

I-4's have choppy idle, so I don't know what you're feeling here. I'd chock it up to new car experience.

I have seen this complaint before from a few new owners and have wondered if this is just flat-spotted tires from sitting in one place too long, or from when they strap the cars down to the boat during shipping.

Its not flat spotting. I know, as I have two other cars with flat spotted tires. That goes away after a bit of driving. This is continuous

Car is at dealer now, will post back what they say

This is what dealer said

1) Front drivers side wheel wasn't balanced.

2) Tire didn't seat properly

3) Wheel was off about 5 oz

4) Alignment was off

They "fixed it" Tech is out on test drive. If it is not fixed, they will put that tire to the back, order us a new tire.

Last edited:
Dealer called back again
Said car will NOT be ready today. I imagine it means it has not been fixed. He said they are on the phone with MAZDA TECHNICAL. There is another car, my model/my year that has had this same problem. However, they chalked it up to "crown of the road." He said they have VERY strict parameters and it will need to be test driven at certain speeds for certain period of time. After that, they will put on alignment machine, while have MAZDA TECHNICAL on the phone. Depending on Mazda technical says, that is what the verdict will be.

Offered loaner for today, but I didn't take it.

So thats the current situation. I think I will stop by tomorrow (he said car should be done by lunch), to see what is really going on.

all of the reasons given could create that issue, but since you said it doesn't go away or increase...hmmmm
Do you feel it anywhere else in the car?

all of the reasons given could create that issue, but since you said it doesn't go away or increase...hmmmm
Do you feel it anywhere else in the car?

No only in the steering wheel. I guess the dealer wanted to keep the car over night, probably because the tech is finishing up for the day.

Nice to hear they are not going to let it go until it is right...

Yes I am pleasantly surprised by that. Though his last comment about "the other case that was opened Mazda chalked it up to crown of the road" wasn't very encouraging.

update from tech

Tech tested the car and confirmed the vibration. They initially suspected a bent wheel, but with so low miles, there just wasn't one. Then they checked for wheel out of balance. They found drivers front wheel out of balance by 5oz. They took tire off, and the wheel without tire was in perfect balance. They put tire back on, and after correctly seating it, it was out of balance by 1 oz which they say is ok. They say the vibration has been corrected.

However, the tech test drove car and car still pulls a bit to the left. Not as aggressive as previously, but it does. They are unwilling to release car. Which is nice to see they are taking care of the problem. They called MAZDA technical, who informed them another 2012 had the same issue. They have some strict test parameters they want the tech to perform. I.e. drive the car at certain speed, for certain time, at highway and local roads, and report back to Mazda. That is what they are doing this morning. Then they will re-align the car. If the problem persists, they say it is MAZDA's call. On the other car that has this issue, Mazda blamed it on the "crown of the road," and let the customer take the product. Service writer/tech isn't sure what Mazda will say today.

They said they will have an answer by lunch time.

Update

They fixed the pull by re-aligning it, but car still has vibration. They will "try to fix it" before 5pm, and wants me to pick it up. If not "fixed" they will order a new tire, before I leave.

Why wouldn't they just rotate the tires to move the suspected tire(s) to the rear? The vibration at least wouldn't be through the steering wheel anymore, and you wouldn't be with the annoyance while they order a new tire.

Back