Intermittent power steering failure (2012 Mazda5)

I'm having a problem that I've seen a few mentions of before in my Google searching, but haven't found a consensus on the solution. 2012 mazda5 sport. Intermittently the power steering light comes on and steering becomes incredibly difficult. It's not just "loss of power steering" but as if the system pressure is fighting against steering inputs. Pulling over and restarting the car seems to reset it, but it's super dangerous especially considering I have kids.

I've seen the recalls for what sounds like the same problem for previous gen, but no solid answer on what to do for this gen. Do I replace the pump? If I do so do I need to get it reprogrammed? Will flushing and replacing power steering fluid fix it?

I love the car enough that I convinced my brother to buy one, but this ehpas system is really trying my patience...

Replace the pump. you can replace the fluid, but doubtful it will fix anything.

I don't know why it would need reprogramming if you do replace it.

Plenty of online videos for replacing these pumps.

Edit: Check the wiring to the pump itself. BAd wiring or bad ground can cause issues.

Replace the pump. you can replace the fluid, but doubtful it will fix anything.

I don't know why it would need reprogramming if you do replace it.

Plenty of online videos for replacing these pumps.

Edit: Check the wiring to the pump itself. BAd wiring or bad ground can cause issues.
Yeah, I went ahead and ordered one and I'll just install it and hope it works. I've seen videos where it works just fine, but lots of comments saying you need to get it programmed.

Back